This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So hand is better lifestyle wise than foot/ankle!?!?

I thought hand/replant call is much more daunting than foot/ankle call.

Also, foot/ankle is totally my jam right now, it's like hand but with bigger bones, toe amps, and I had originally thought better call :/

Members don't see this ad.

Also, foot/ankle is totally my jam right now, it's like hand but with bigger bones, toe amps, and I had originally thought better call :/

Does Hand has longer OTs? but less stressful calls?

Members don't see this ad :)

There is no such thing as foot/ankle call. There is general call which is mostly trauma and ER things, hand call and spine call. Hand call can be hard but not all hand people do replantation, and some places (like mine) don't even have hand call, just general and spine. So if you don't do those things it's pretty chill, most of your cases are quick and outpatient.

Reactions: 1 users
There is no such thing as foot/ankle call. There is general call which is mostly trauma and ER things, hand call and spine call. Hand call can be hard but not all hand people do replantation, and some places (like mine) don't even have hand call, just general and spine. So if you don't do those things it's pretty chill, most of your cases are quick and outpatient.

So if you're a foot/ankle doc and don't take general isn't that super chill?

Why would you do that? That'll essentially make you a podiatrist

Whatever, if you think foot/ankle surgery is "basically podiatry" then you're clueless.

I think it's a super cool specialty with lots of biomechanics and a wide array of procedures and pathology. Very much like hand/upper extremity. It's a little more and bigger bone work in F/A than hand.

I'm just saying foot/ankle seems more or less lifestyle friendly. Mostly outpatient surgery (less rounding), less emergencies, good mix of cases, mix of clinic and OR.

But I'm not against general call, and I think that the ability to still do some general trauma in the community in addition to a subspecialty practice is pretty awesome in ortho

Whatever, if you think foot/ankle surgery is "basically podiatry" then you're clueless.

I think it's a super cool specialty with lots of biomechanics and a wide array of procedures and pathology. Very much like hand/upper extremity. It's a little more and bigger bone work in F/A than hand.

I'm just saying foot/ankle seems more or less lifestyle friendly. Mostly outpatient surgery (less rounding), less emergencies, good mix of cases, mix of clinic and OR.

But I'm not against general call, and I think that the ability to still do some general trauma in the community in addition to a subspecialty practice is pretty awesome in ortho

I'm well aware of F&A biomechanics as well as diverse pathology. My comment was made in jest and was meant to be inflammatory. But if you don't do any foot and ankle trauma - most of which comes through trauma call, your practice would be very sweet, but some podiatrists out there would claim they can do just about all you do. By no means am I suggesting a podiatrist is just as good as F&A Ortho, I'm just saying they may claim that if you just do non- traumatic F&A.

Foot and ankle is a great specialty....except for the nasty feet! lol. Sorry. I just can't stand feet...except lisfrancs, those are fun.

Foot and ankle is a great specialty....except for the nasty feet! lol. Sorry. I just can't stand feet...except lisfrancs, those are fun.
I never saw feet in any kind of gross or positive light for the longest time until I started clinicals, they were just like any other body part to me. Then I saw the patients that didn't take care of their feet and what they looked like (and smelled like sometimes). No thanks for me as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Whatever y'all. I'll just get plan to set up my foot/ankle practice now and take no General call. Gon be chill af

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi @OrthoTraumaMD , I scored well on step 1 but wasn't able to schedule the 2 week ortho elective for my third year. Aside from honoring rotations, what's the best course of action for me moving forward? I want to get involved with the department, get to know the residents etc but my rotations are scattered geographically for the rest of the year. Would showing up to take call with them on weekends I have off seem weird? If a 4th year subI is the first time I meet some of the residents/attendings at my home program, is that looked down on? I have no research in the field so I'm open to hearing your advice on that as well.

Appreciate your insight

Last edited:
Hi @OrthoTraumaMD , I scored well on step 1 (259) but wasn't able to schedule the 2 week ortho elective for my third year. Aside from honoring rotations, what's the best course of action for me moving forward? I want to get involved with the department, get to know the residents etc but my rotations are scattered geographically for the rest of the year. Would showing up to take call with them on weekends I have off seem weird? If a 4th year subI is the first time I meet some of the residents/attendings at my home program, is that looked down on? I have no research in the field so I'm open to hearing your advice on that as well.

Appreciate your insight

Meet with your program director and tell them you're interested in taking some weekend or weeknight call with the residents. They should know about you before 4th year.
As for research, I answered this somewhere else on the thread, but basically you need to also speak with the program director to see if there are any projects that attendings or residents need help with. In a program, there usually are opportunities.

So I've been thinking about selectives again - could I get your opinion on radiology as a selective before going on surgery rotation? Is it worth it or would it be better to just "leave it to the radiologist" and just focus on more surgery/surgical subspecialties?

Meet with your program director and tell them you're interested in taking some weekend or weeknight call with the residents. They should know about you before 4th year.
As for research, I answered this somewhere else on the thread, but basically you need to also speak with the program director to see if there are any projects that attendings or residents need help with. In a program, there usually are opportunities.

Thank you. In a similar vein, what is the best way to deal with attendings that are not very responsive via email? I don't want to annoy the PD but I would like to meet with him sooner rather than later. Sent him a note 2 weeks ago

So I've been thinking about selectives again - could I get your opinion on radiology as a selective before going on surgery rotation? Is it worth it or would it be better to just "leave it to the radiologist" and just focus on more surgery/surgical subspecialties?

If you have the time do it and make sure you get specifically MSK radiology. I think it's helpful. But if it cuts into ortho aways, then obviously take Ortho.

Thank you. In a similar vein, what is the best way to deal with attendings that are not very responsive via email? I don't want to annoy the PD but I would like to meet with him sooner rather than later. Sent him a note 2 weeks ago

Contact his admin and set up a meeting through that person. They know what the PD's schedule is.

This thread is awesome so thanks for creating it.

I know that getting matched into ortho is very difficult but what about a fellowship in ortho onc? Is getting into residency the hardest part?

Oncology is what inspired me to pursue medicine because I love the cancer community and I am also interested in oncology research. However, orthopedics is perhaps the most fascinating career invented by man. I can't get enough of watching orthopedic surgeries and now I am going to pick up some extra shifts on the ortho unit to learn more about the patients. Do you think that the field of orthopedic oncology could really offer me the best of both worlds or is it one of those things that don't match well when combined?

This thread is awesome so thanks for creating it.

I know that getting matched into ortho is very difficult but what about a fellowship in ortho onc? Is getting into residency the hardest part?

Oncology is what inspired me to pursue medicine because I love the cancer community and I am also interested in oncology research. However, orthopedics is perhaps the most fascinating career invented by man. I can't get enough of watching orthopedic surgeries and now I am going to pick up some extra shifts on the ortho unit to learn more about the patients. Do you think that the field of orthopedic oncology could really offer me the best of both worlds or is it one of those things that don't match well when combined?

Getting into residency is harder. Ortho onc is very specialized and the demand isn't high. Certainly they do the craziest surgeries--but like any specialty dealing with cancer, it takes an emotional toll. I couldn't do it. I think if you like ortho, you should go for it, and then see if you still like Onc once you're there.

Here's a question of my own for the med students reading. I've been wondering how to deal with a situation that happens to me a lot. Medical students ask me for advice with their applications, and how competitive they are for ortho...but much of my answer depends on their step 1 scores, info that they never volunteer. I don't feel comfortable asking them their score, but I can't really advise them properly if I do not know if they're a 250 or a 210. So what to do? I like to be honest if possible, even if that means telling someone they are in trouble and need a backup plan. So far, I have been giving vague answers, things like "if your score is above X, with the rest of your qualifications you will be ok." But it is a pain if I don't have all the info. If they ask me for a letter, I get their CV and then i do know ...but if it is just generic advice, then I'm stumped as to how best to help them. Thoughts?

Here's a question of my own for the med students reading. I've been wondering how to deal with a situation that happens to me a lot. Medical students ask me for advice with their applications, and how competitive they are for ortho...but much of my answer depends on their step 1 scores, info that they never volunteer. I don't feel comfortable asking them their score, but I can't really advise them properly if I do not know if they're a 250 or a 210. So what to do? I like to be honest if possible, even if that means telling someone they are in trouble and need a backup plan. So far, I have been giving vague answers, things like "if your score is above X, with the rest of your qualifications you will be ok." But it is a pain if I don't have all the info. If they ask me for a letter, I get their CV and then i do know ...but if it is just generic advice, then I'm stumped as to how best to help them. Thoughts?

Maybe respond generically by saying something like:

"Several factors play a role, but one key indicator would be your step score. Typically, 235 (or whatever you think) is considered the minimum to be considered seriously at XYZ. Generally, below that number, and I would say you would be much less competitive."

Break it down ya know, and let them know what their Step score means without ever asking for it!

Your approach is probably the best way to do it.. Set a min. score that you think would make them competitive with the rest of their app. You could say it is hard to tell without the complete application, so offer to go over their file with them (Step, year 3 grades, preclinical, research) to better give advice. Definitely do not sugar coat anything... being as honest as possible will help the student much more in the long run.

Your approach is probably the best way to do it.. Set a min. score that you think would make them competitive with the rest of their app. You could say it is hard to tell without the complete application, so offer to go over their file with them (Step, year 3 grades, preclinical, research) to better give advice. Definitely do not sugar coat anything... being as honest as possible will help the student much more in the long run.

I wish I knew what score would truly make them "competitive." So let's say I say 240 and they got a 234. Is that going to kill them? Just very difficult without having all the info. But I suppose I have no choice. Offering to review their file is a good idea though...can try that.

Is 235 generally the minimum? That would be great since I'm between 235 and 240.. Just hoping for any MD ortho residency in a decently safe city (e.g. not Camden). And this whole privacy thing about step 1 really bothers me.. people guard it like their social security numbers. My school stopped giving the class's distribution of step 1 scores after some people complained, even though it was anonymous. Soon enough they'll stop releasing match lists too because of insecurities.

There is no true minimum. I've known people who got in with a 220 because they had connections. I've known people who did not get in with a 260 because they were insane. So many factors...

Speaking of competitiveness, my school (UT Houston) has literally the dumbest grading system which everyone is complaining about. Honors is >95, high pass is 90-95 while passing is only >65. Also, preceptor evaluations are graded 1-3, 2 being equivalent to 75%. Even getting one 2 on the evaluation sheet (which you almost certainly will get) makes it almost impossible to honor, even with 100% on the boards. Pretty much everyone is only getting passes on all their clerkships.

Will this put us on a serious disadvantage when it comes to matching into a competitive specialty like ortho? I have heard that the MSPE shows objectively the grade distribution if it is objectively impossible to honor, but I have also heard that no one ever reads the MSPE. I got 250 on Step 1 and have good written evaluations on all my clerkships, but only passes on them (like everyone else).

Thanks in advance!

I wish I knew what score would truly make them "competitive." So let's say I say 240 and they got a 234. Is that going to kill them? Just very difficult without having all the info. But I suppose I have no choice. Offering to review their file is a good idea though...can try that.

and maybe when you review their file tell them exactly that... there is a wide range in ortho due to a number of factors, but generally a competitive applicants profile consists of x. If they are one of those candidates with a lower step score you can go more in depth on their app and see if they are one of those students who in your honest opinion has a chance to match.

I can understand how it is a difficult topic to address, but honesty is always the best policy. As long as it is a healthy exchange with the student and you give realistic advice, you have done your part. I really respect the fact that you are seeking opinions of med students on how to best address this situation. Your students are lucky to have an attending like you to learn from!

and maybe when you review their file tell them exactly that... there is a wide range in ortho due to a number of factors, but generally a competitive applicants profile consists of x. If they are one of those candidates with a lower step score you can go more in depth on their app and see if they are one of those students who in your honest opinion has a chance to match.

I can understand how it is a difficult topic to address, but honesty is always the best policy. As long as it is a healthy exchange with the student and you give realistic advice, you have done your part. I really respect the fact that you are seeking opinions of med students on how to best address this situation. Your students are lucky to have an attending like you to learn from!

Well I will definitely always be honest. I myself had a backup when I applied, so I have no issues telling someone to be realistic.

Speaking of competitiveness, my school (UT Houston) has literally the dumbest grading system which everyone is complaining about. Honors is >95, high pass is 90-95 while passing is only >65. Also, preceptor evaluations are graded 1-3, 2 being equivalent to 75%. Even getting one 2 on the evaluation sheet (which you almost certainly will get) makes it almost impossible to honor, even with 100% on the boards. Pretty much everyone is only getting passes on all their clerkships.

Will this put us on a serious disadvantage when it comes to matching into a competitive specialty like ortho? I have heard that the MSPE shows objectively the grade distribution if it is objectively impossible to honor, but I have also heard that no one ever reads the MSPE. I got 250 on Step 1 and have good written evaluations on all my clerkships, but only passes on them (like everyone else).

Thanks in advance!

That's a tough situation. Your 250 will get you in the door to interview--after that, if you are asked why you didn't honor, you can explain the system. But lots of schools don't even have honors, so we generally don't pay it much mind. After your step scores, your letters are key. Didn't Chip Routt tell you that already? ;)

Well I will definitely always be honest. I myself had a backup when I applied, so I have no issues telling someone to be realistic.

So going off of having a back-up, is it frowned upon to apply for something really competitive like ortho and then apply for general surgery at the same institution? I've heard it's definitely a no-no to apply for Ortho and then apply for something like IM, but does it look bad to have general surgery as your back-up at the same place?

So going off of having a back-up, is it frowned upon to apply for something really competitive like ortho and then apply for general surgery at the same institution? I've heard it's definitely a no-no to apply for Ortho and then apply for something like IM, but does it look bad to have general surgery as your back-up at the same place?

I was paranoid and did not apply to gensurg and Ortho at the same places, because I was worried they'd find out.

Have you known had any colleagues in medical school or mentees that failed to match? Was there any common factor among them?

Here is another question for the students:
Is there anything I, as an attending, can do to improve your rotation experience in terms of learning potential? Typically, most students have a little bit of time with me and my partners individually, and I can't help but feel they are buffeted from place to place and aren't getting a cohesive sense of what ortho is all about. Would sitting down before cases help? Formal lectures? Just meeting with them and asking them about their thoughts/concerns? I have limited time so I usually end up teaching on the fly, but most of my lectures are geared toward residents so it is hard to know what is appropriate (some students are much more well-read than others).

Reactions: 4 users
Is there anything I, as an attending, can do to improve your rotation experience in terms of learning potential? Typically, most students have a little bit of time with me and my partners individually, and I can't help but feel they are buffeted from place to place and aren't getting a cohesive sense of what ortho is all about. Would sitting down before cases help? Formal lectures? Just meeting with them and asking them about their thoughts/concerns? I have limited time so I usually end up teaching on the fly, but most of my lectures are geared toward residents so it is hard to know what is appropriate (some students are much more well-read than others).

Hey, so I was on vascular for a month but my friends on Orthopedic Surgery said Ortho was super boring :/ The reasons why is because apparently the expectations were low and it seemed like residents just wanted to show students how "awesome" Ortho was and students never presented but just followed residents around.

I think the way to optimize the situation and create the best orthopedics rotation possible is to:

1. Make a fun handout with the top 10 orthopedic case presentations and the workup/management. Recruit your residents/subIs/away students help. Make it 10 pages max. The beauty of this is as great residents come and go and as your motivation waxes and wanes, students will still be able to read something concrete that is tailored to their level which will help bridge the learning gap. If you are super motivated then do it right and cite primary sources and you can even publish it as a guide that can be used across schools...or if there's less time, make it an informal thing that is that is handed down via google drive. If this is not feasible immediately, one thing an intern did for me is to tell me to read their favorite chapters of Harrison's. Like before I'd leave she said read chapter 12 and come tomorrow. I did and magically the discussions would come up on rounds and I looked good and then while I was helping her with her busy work she's would pimp me and discuss things from the textbook but obviously that's not as feasible as an attending. Maybe someone could do the same thing but with Sabiston's or something?

2. Make students present 1-2 (none of this 5+ stuff, students will just try to cut corners and focus more on looking good than learning).

3. More pimping, and not just on the anatomy in the OR but the management, when to do ORIF (idk lol), etc.

Sitting down before cases would help BUT your time is extremely valuable and I fear students may not retain all the information which would just frustrate you. Formal lectures would help but some students may zone out and we don't want you to put so much effort into them for some students not to learn from them.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, so I was on vascular for a month but my friends on Orthopedic Surgery said Ortho was super boring :/ The reasons why is because apparently the expectations were low and it seemed like residents just wanted to show students how "awesome" Ortho was and students never presented but just followed residents around.

I think the way to optimize the situation and create the best orthopedics rotation possible is to:

1. Make a fun handout with the top 10 orthopedic case presentations and the workup/management. Recruit your residents/subIs/away students help. Make it 10 pages max. The beauty of this is as great residents come and go and as your motivation waxes and wanes, students will still be able to read something concrete that is tailored to their level which will help bridge the learning gap. If you are super motivated then do it right and cite primary sources and you can even publish it as a guide that can be used across schools...or if there's less time, make it an informal thing that is that is handed down via google drive. If this is not feasible immediately, one thing an intern did for me is to tell me to read their favorite chapters of Harrison's. Like before I'd leave she said read chapter 12 and come tomorrow. I did and magically the discussions would come up on rounds and I looked good and then while I was helping her with her busy work she's would pimp me and discuss things from the textbook but obviously that's not as feasible as an attending. Maybe someone could do the same thing but with Sabiston's or something?

2. Make students present 1-2 (none of this 5+ stuff, students will just try to cut corners and focus more on looking good than learning).

3. More pimping, and not just on the anatomy in the OR but the management, when to do ORIF (idk lol), etc.

Sitting down before cases would help BUT your time is extremely valuable and I fear students may not retain all the information which would just frustrate you. Formal lectures would help but some students may zone out and we don't want you to put so much effort into them for some students not to learn from them.

Thanks!

The handout idea is fantastic, thank you. Will work on that.
What do you mean by "present 1-2?" 1-2 what? Patients? Cases? What is 5+?

Idk if my experience is the norm, but I often hope to be pimped more frequently to show the attending my depth of knowledge. We are supposed to be evaluated on our performance and sometimes I go through an entire rotation without being asked a single question. Also, I find that I usually remember for life the answers to the questions I am pimped on. It motivates me to do more reading in my free time to impress you too when you pimp more frequently.

Idk if my experience is the norm, but I often hope to be pimped more frequently to show the attending my depth of knowledge. We are supposed to be evaluated on our performance and sometimes I go through an entire rotation without being asked a single question. Also, I find that I usually remember for life the answers to the questions I am pimped on. It motivates me to do more reading in my free time to impress you too when you pimp more frequently.

Never thought I'd see someone asking to be pimped, haha. I suppose if you read and are prepared, it's a good thing, so good for you. Then again, "better be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt." ;)

Hit the nail on the head. In addition to this, I feel like too many residents are asking questions that are more tailored to their learning level. There are plenty of things that medical students should know for their board exams that they don't as evidenced by shelf averages in the 70s. That doesn't mean you don't pimp them on things above their level. Sometimes it's necessary to get them to understand what's going on, but if that happens try not to confuse them. Also, too many residents belittle the information medical students have learnt in their review books as if it's some primitive technology. The more links you can make for something like the classic signs of compartment syndrome per Pestana's to the rationale of what you do daily for compartment syndrome (this may be too simple of an example), the more it sticks with students.

I have listed some common orthopedic topics via Pestana's:

Kids:
Legg-Calve-Perthes (avascular necrosis of femoral epiphysis)
Slipped capital femoral epiphyses
Septic Hip
Osteomyelitis
bowlegs/knocknee
Osgood
Equinovarus (clubfoot)
Scoliosis
Remodeling of fractures
Supracondylar fractures/growth plate fractures
All kids/adult tumors

Adult:
Fractures (clavicle, shoulder (ant/post), colles, monteggia, Galeazzi, scaphoid, metacarpal, hip, femoral neck, introtrochanteric, femoral shaft)
Knee
Tibial Stress fractures
Achilles Tendon/Fractures of Ankle
Emergencies (open fractures, posterior dislocation of hip, gas gangrene, soft tissue infections)
Neurovascular injuries
Carpal tunnel/trigger finger/dequervain tenosynovitis/dupuytren contracture/felon/gamekeeper thumb/jersey finger/mallet finger/what to do with amp
utated digits
Back pain comprehensive differential (probably something every student from a family med aspirant to an ortho gunner should know cold if they haven't already)
Ulcers
Plantar Fascitis/Morton Neuroma/Gout

Procedures we should do:
Arthrocentesis under resident supervision
Physical exams

Obviously, in your guide, the artistic touch to it is knowing which conditions are most important for a student interested in orthopedics to know and to strike a balance between the textbook teaching and real life experience as only a practicing orthopedic surgeon could do. Also, you could include all the visuospatial nuances that are key for success in orthopedics which is something you won't find in review books.

How bad is it when you don't get pimp questions right? On my last rotation I knew everything, but in this rotation I just started and its harder. I had a 9 hours surgery today and 5 hours in I got hungry and had to pee. The attending decided to start pimping me over the next hour, and I only got one correct... two of them were things that I just blanked on but knew in the back of my head. He didn't seem mad, just said its fine, youre learning. Worst part is I'd never scrubbed in before, so when he asked me to scrub in and I didn't know how, he made a joke (it was appropriate) but obviously I felt really embarrassed. Later on one of the nurses helped me scrub since the attending needed my help, and I did everything he told me correctly, and he seemed very pleased with me by the end (or maybe he just didn't want to totally kill my confidence). This was my first time with this particular attending (we have several).

Well, to put it lightly, you have ruined your chances of honoring. You've only got one shot, do not miss your chance to gun, the opportunity to impress your attending comes once a rotation hun...

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How bad is it when you don't get pimp questions right? On my last rotation I knew everything, but in this rotation I just started and its harder. I had a 9 hours surgery today and 5 hours in I got hungry and had to pee. The attending decided to start pimping me over the next hour, and I only got one correct... two of them were things that I just blanked on but knew in the back of my head. He didn't seem mad, just said its fine, youre learning. Worst part is I'd never scrubbed in before, so when he asked me to scrub in and I didn't know how, he made a joke (it was appropriate) but obviously I felt really embarrassed. Later on one of the nurses helped me scrub since the attending needed my help, and I did everything he told me correctly, and he seemed very pleased with me by the end (or maybe he just didn't want to totally kill my confidence). This was my first time with this particular attending (we have several).

Depends on the question. If it is something basic that you were supposed to know before scrubbing a case, it will hurt you more than if it is something obscure or random. Also, we know that you are nervous. Orthopods are not that insane about pimping. We've all been there ...and we know how nerve-wracking things can get.

Dear OrthoTraumaMD,
thank you for taking the time to answer questions here, it's hugely appreciated. As a preclinical med student interested in a surgical specialty (specifically Ortho). I have a question that has more to do with the physical requirements for becoming a surgeon. Since I had strabismus as a child my depth perception is severely limited and I although I seem to be to compensate well (in anatomy lab etc.) I was worried about my ability to become a safe and competent surgeon as a result of this. I realize that this might be a though question for you to answer but I would love to hear your opinion on how this might affect my ability to operate (and maybe specialty choice in general)?

Dear OrthoTraumaMD,
thank you for taking the time to answer questions here, it's hugely appreciated. As a preclinical med student interested in a surgical specialty (specifically Ortho). I have a question that has more to do with the physical requirements for becoming a surgeon. Since I had strabismus as a child my depth perception is severely limited and I although I seem to be to compensate well (in anatomy lab etc.) I was worried about my ability to become a safe and competent surgeon as a result of this. I realize that this might be a though question for you to answer but I would love to hear your opinion on how this might affect my ability to operate (and maybe specialty choice in general)?

One of my good friends and colleagues has strabismus and is an excellent surgeon. If you are compensating well in anatomy I think you're ok. What I would do is seek a solid opinion from an orthopod in your hospital. Just go to them, ask to shadow them in the OR on a weekend, and see how you do. Can you see what they see? Etc.

Thank you for your reply, real life examples are extremely encouraging! I will try to get a few more opinions on the matter and get some practical experience.

One of my good friends and colleagues has strabismus and is an excellent surgeon. If you are compensating well in anatomy I think you're ok. What I would do is seek a solid opinion from an orthopod in your hospital. Just go to them, ask to shadow them in the OR on a weekend, and see how you do. Can you see what they see? Etc.

Hello doc. I am orthopedician from outside us/Canada. I want to do fellowship in us. How competitive is it? And are we allowed to practice in us after fellowship in USA? Having a greencard. And please elaborate the requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.