MD Chances of matching ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectivemd3

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm looking to apply ortho during the match and have the following grades/ECs/Scores:
3rd year: High Pass (OBGYN, Psych, Neuro, Medicine), Honors (Surgery), Remaining: Peds, Ambulatory med, Family Med.
Clinical Evals have been fairly strong so far.
Step 1: PASS
Step 2: *will take later this summer*
Research: 5 pubs, 1 case report; Will be taking a research year this upcoming year at a productive ortho institution.
ECs: Student Advisor for 1 year, Student interviewer for ADCOM 1yr, a general member of a few interest groups.
I most likely will not get AOA but feel like I have a solid amount of strong LORs so far.

What are my chances at matching ortho? If they arent very high then should I consider other specialties like Anesthesiology or Medicine?

Thanks for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately the HP’s will not help you much, though your honors in surgery will. You may get questions as to why you didn’t honor those rotations. Obviously, try to H your remaining ones. If you’re doing a research year that will really help your odds; take full advantage and try to crank out as many pubs/abstracts as you can. Obviously try to get >250 on step 2 as other poster stated. Most importantly, after your research year choose 3-4 away rotations where your home faculty has strong connections and do well at those; that will make the most difference for you.
Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user