Ortho and International Work

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocM

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody here from ortho do international work or is interested in doing international work. Such as the International Committee of the Red Cross' Physical Rehap program(s).

Members don't see this ad.

I know someome from Ortho must have thought about working abroad. So, how about you tell us what you know ....Any info is much appreciated

i have thought about doing orthopaedics overseas when i am out of residency. basically a spin off of doctors without borders providing care to underserved places and teaching new techniques to people.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh sure. you do carpal tunnel release and hip replacements on the underserved populations of africa.

Doctors Without Borders has a huge surgical and orthopedic need. They require that you have completed your residency and be able to give a minimum of six weeks, preferable 6 months for your first assignment. Their website gives excellent general advice. Ignorant comments aside, you can make a huge contribution to orthopedic care in the Third World, even including doing the occasional hip replacement.