Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marqoo10

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

So I know that I have to take two semesters of Ochem. I'm going abroad soon - but when I come back I have to do my capstone and complete some other hard courses.

Personally, Organic Chemistry 1 - was really difficult, but I passed it. I have to take another semester of Organic Chemistry since dental schools require 2 semesters; which leaves me to take Organic Chemistry 2.

However, my school offers "Fundamental Organic Chemistry" which is a little step behind O chemistry 1. Will you guys recommend me going for fundamental ochem or just go for level 2? Will dental schools still accept fundamental organic chemistry as credit? I don't want my last semester of college to be really hard.

Thanks everyone!
Hope this makes sense.

Members don't see this ad.

not even sure if that will substitude for orgo 2, so just go for the orgo 2 if you can. Also, taking orgo 2 is helpful for DAT, even though it's not required.

I don't understand why people claim you don't need orgo 2 for the DAT, I've done so many practice problems with orgo topics (alpha substitutions, alpha additions, carboxylate acid derivatives sugars etc etc).

You absolutely should take orgo 2 or you are hamstringing yourself when you take the DAT. Don't ever go into the dat with the mindset of just being happy with the bare minimum. You want to have as many corners covered as you can.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why people claim you don't need orgo 2 for the DAT, I've done so many practice problems with orgo topics (alpha substitutions, alpha additions, carboxylate acid derivatives sugars etc etc).

You absolutely should take orgo 2 or you are hamstringing yourself when you take the DAT. Don't ever go into the dat with the mindset of just being happy with the bare minimum. You want to have as many corners covered as you can.
As someone who took all ochems and got a 21...I still don't understand what I'm doing. lol

The thing is that I'm taking the DAT this summer and when I come back I won't need ochem just for the credit wise. Saying this, will you still recommend me taking ochem 2?

I'd call some schools that you are interested in applying to and ask them.

75% of the orgo on the DAT is orgo II. People are in denial.

Reactions: 2 users
I barely remember what I learned in orgo II compared to orgo I. Just go for Orgo II so you don't run into any trouble when applying to schools. Orgo made my DAT AA around 2 points higher. I would say it is the easiest section on the DAT?? Good luck!

75% of the orgo on the DAT is orgo II. People are in denial.

Depends where you go. I'm in Canada, so it might be different, took a look at the american DAT orgo section and it was just introductory orgo (or orgo I).

Depends where you go. I'm in Canada, so it might be different, took a look at the american DAT orgo section and it was just introductory orgo (or orgo I).

this is closer to how I felt about my real test. It was mostly basic stuff and maybe about 10~15% intermediate to difficult questions. actually, all my science sections were pretty easy so I had about 30 minutes left when I finished. I could have felt that way because I prepared rigorously with destroyer.