Organic Chemistry OAT people have taken the exam ...

ZooZoo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can you please explain how the Organic Chemistry questions be like? Is it straight forward ? Is it just naming molecules and everything? I am having a really hard time in organic chemistry no matter watching 10 videos its not helping at all. I am studying the Kaplan blue book and I am curious what will be on. I am having a hard time on Alkenes and Alkynes S1 S2 E1 and E2. I feel terrible and hopless I feel like giving up but then I dont want to because I really want this so bad.

Members don't see this ad.

It is really straightforward. I had like one on naming and a lot on reactions. be able to look at a reagent and know what it does to molecule! Just know the basics, like what would cause it to go Sn1, e1, etc. Know which groups are activating and deactivating and if they direct ortho/para or meta. Just know the basics on everything kaplan talks about! It sucks to study but once you get it, its not too bad. good luck! (I was freaking out about ochem too, but i only used chads to study)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm half way done with Chad's videos and going through all the different kinds of reactions..... Its.... horrible... I'm losing lots of hope in Ochem as well. I might just start doing practice questions and learn that way...

I'm half way done with Chad's videos and going through all the different kinds of reactions..... Its.... horrible... I'm losing lots of hope in Ochem as well. I might just start doing practice questions and learn that way...
So do u think chads video will help me in organic chemistry ?! I'm just not sure what to do anymore

Members don't see this ad :)
It is really straightforward. I had like one on naming and a lot on reactions. be able to look at a reagent and know what it does to molecule! Just know the basics, like what would cause it to go Sn1, e1, etc. Know which groups are activating and deactivating and if they direct ortho/para or meta. Just know the basics on everything kaplan talks about! It sucks to study but once you get it, its not too bad. good luck! (I was freaking out about ochem too, but i only used chads to study)

Basically memorize each reaction ? I'm clueless because Kaplan just had loads of reactions I'm not sure if I need to memorize or somehow figure it out .. Like how would I know adding CN what would happen to a reaction ?

So do u think chads video will help me in organic chemistry ?! I'm just not sure what to do anymore

I think Chad's videos are worth watching along with his practice questions. But don't want them and try to remember every little detail. It will give you a good background of the subject and more and more practice problems will help integrate it in your head. A lot of past OAT takers have used and loved Chad's videos successfully for O chem. I think you should definitely look into them.

Memorize reactions, chad gives you all the ones you will see on a reaction sheet. And then I also looked up what the reagents do. So you should know which ones reduce or oxidize and if they direct ortho/para or meta. Chads gave me the outline and once I memorized his I searched up extra material I still wasn't getting. It was a lot of work but it eventually clicked!

Personally, I think Chad's most successful videos are the Chem sections. I think it's a great place to start in order to get comfortable with the amount of material there is - especially in Ochem! There's so much!

Will OAT questions ever ask you like "what happens when this molecule goes through oxymercuration-Demurcuration?" or will they always have the reagents listed?

Will OAT questions ever ask you like "what happens when this molecule goes through oxymercuration-Demurcuration?" or will they always have the reagents listed?
I have read on many posts that they will call the reaction by names Williamson Ether, Fred. Crafts, etc. Just know the most popular ones and you should be okay. Don't stress too much.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question in regards to the material that is covered on the OAT for Organic Chemistry II. I will be taking the OAT next summer and am currently in O-Chem I. Many schools require Biochemistry in place of O-Chem II and I will be registering soon for this next semester. I am wondering if the amount of material on the test is a combination of O-Chem I and II or mostly from one section or the other. In short, if I was to take Biochemistry this next semester, would I be missing a lot of the material that is covered in O-Chem II on the OAT?

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I have a question in regards to the material that is covered on the OAT for Organic Chemistry II. I will be taking the OAT next summer and am currently in O-Chem I. Many schools require Biochemistry in place of O-Chem II and I will be registering soon for this next semester. I am wondering if the amount of material on the test is a combination of O-Chem I and II or mostly from one section or the other. In short, if I was to take Biochemistry this next semester, would I be missing a lot of the material that is covered in O-Chem II on the OAT?

Thank you

I only completed O-Chem I (neither Biochemistry or O-Chem II) prior to taking the OAT this summer. I felt that the OAT was definitely more O-Chem I than II. I just watched some of Chad's videos on O-Chem II material. I felt that prepared me well enough and was happy with my overall O-Chem score.

I only completed O-Chem I (neither Biochemistry or O-Chem II) prior to taking the OAT this summer. I felt that the OAT was definitely more O-Chem I than II. I just watched some of Chad's videos on O-Chem II material. I felt that prepared me well enough and was happy with my overall O-Chem score.
Thank you for your response,

I have seen Chad's videos mentioned a lot in this thread and this seems to be a great resource to check out. Is there a link available that you can send me for his videos? Might as well get them lined up as I will most likely find them useful. I really appreciate the feedback. Thanks again.

Definitely use Chad videos! They help A LOT. Memorize E1/E2, SN1. SN2 reactions and almost all of the reactions. Orgo was my worst class during undergrad but surprisingly I made a 400 on my orgo section on the OAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow- awesome job on the orgo section! We are going over SN1, SN2, along with E1, E2 in class now. Is it Chads videos under Course Saver? I found them and they started coming up when I clicked on them- Are they free? I was expecting to have to pay for them- Are these the right videos?

Yes they are! Some of them are free for trial purposes but to get access to all of them there's a monthly fee of $50. I couldn't get through all of them in a month so I paid for Chad's for two months.

Yes- there are a lot of videos there- And I know its not just watching them but involving yourself in what he's doing- pause, rewind, play, pause, etc. I'll probably do the same. I am planning on not taking any summer school classes this summer and studying for the OAT, and taking it. I get out of class for the spring semester in late May. Can you give me a ball park idea of how long you studied for all of the OAT subjects; I want to try and plan for a time to take the test before my the fall semester starts and while it is still early in the application season for Optometry schools. Thanks

Yes you really do have to involve yourself in the videos. I printed out all of the outlines and went along and took my own notes as I watched the videos. To this day I have those outlines in a binder (lol) somewhere. I took my test in April and I probably studied for at least 3 months.

3 months sounds about right. There are a lot of subjects and material to cover. From what I've seen on the videos, he does seem to be pretty straightforward, though. Thanks for sharing your experience on the subject. I appreciate it.