Organic Chemistry Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lynne8832

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm finishing up my first semester of my sophomore year and it has been a rough one. I'm currently taking organic chemistry 1 and physics 1 together which has been really exhausting. I recently took my last organic chemistry exam before the final exam and got a D on it. I've always been a straight A student. The exam was basically completely different from the material that was taught to us and caught me off guard. The science department at my school is extremely difficult. This has left me sitting between a C and a B and I will have to do pretty well on the final to finish the class with a B. My physics professor is also extremely hard and I have gotten some of my lowest grades this semester and it has really hurt my confidence. I currently have a cumulative 3.75 after freshman year. School is my top priority and I work extremely hard. I have gone to office hours every week for organic chemistry, done all of the practice problems, watched all of the optional practice videos, and at this point, I don't know what else I can do. I basically eat, sleep, and breathe school. I guess I'm just looking for a little bit of advice from somebody who has been in my position (not necessarily school advice- just confidence advice as organic has me questioning whether or not I have what it takes to get into vet school). I have never gotten a C in a class and I'm hoping that I won't end up with one this semester, but it seems like none of my work is paying off in that class. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I'm finishing up my first semester of my sophomore year and it has been a rough one. I'm currently taking organic chemistry 1 and physics 1 together which has been really exhausting. I recently took my last organic chemistry exam before the final exam and got a D on it. I've always been a straight A student. The exam was basically completely different from the material that was taught to us and caught me off guard. The science department at my school is extremely difficult. This has left me sitting between a C and a B and I will have to do pretty well on the final to finish the class with a B. My physics professor is also extremely hard and I have gotten some of my lowest grades this semester and it has really hurt my confidence. I currently have a cumulative 3.75 after freshman year. School is my top priority and I work extremely hard. I have gone to office hours every week for organic chemistry, done all of the practice problems, watched all of the optional practice videos, and at this point, I don't know what else I can do. I basically eat, sleep, and breathe school. I guess I'm just looking for a little bit of advice from somebody who has been in my position. I have never gotten a C in a class and I'm hoping that I won't end up with one this semester, but it seems like none of my work is paying off in that class. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! :)

Orgo is the worst class ever so we all feel your pain haha. Personally, I found YouTube videos very helpful. Sometimes hearing the material a different way from a person other than your professor makes it click. Also, I used the “organic chemistry for dummies” books for orgo 1 & 2. I highly recommend “Leah 4 Sci” (Just google it and it’ll pop up!) I watched her videos religiously and her study guides really helped me get through it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 3 users
Orgo is the worst class ever so we all feel your pain haha. Personally, I found YouTube videos very helpful. Sometimes hearing the material a different way from a person other than your professor makes it click. Also, I used the “organic chemistry for dummies” books for orgo 1 & 2. I highly recommend “Leah 4 Sci” (Just google it and it’ll pop up!) I watched her videos religiously and her study guides really helped me get through it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN
Thank you so much! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed organic chemistry 1 and 2. I also failed general chemistry 2. I have my own excuses that don’t actually fully excuse it, but you know what I mean. It happens. DO NOT focus solely on school. Grades are important, but they’re not the only thing. Having a near 4.0 might be what you need to get into a few schools OOS like UC Davis. But for most schools, it’s not going to be what determines if you get in. Do as well as you can. If you get a C, so be it. Your GPA is still very good, and you can make sure you do well in other classes. Maybe distribute your workload a little differently. You’re still not done adjusting to college. It’s a big change. It happens to a lot of us.

But seriously, don’t just focus on school. If you don’t do extracurriculars, get vet and animal experience, and maybe get involved in research, you’ll have a harder time getting into vet school. You might think you’re helping yourself out by focusing on school to get the best grades possible, but you need to find a balance. Vet schools would often rather have you graduate with a 3.5 and lots of valuable experience than graduate with a 4.0 having done nothing but class work. Granted, there are exceptions and every school is different, but if you can be a good student with great experience, you’ll often find yourself in a better spot application-wise than an excellent student with little experience.

Final note: Science GPA is important. Do well in as many science classes as you can. But don’t sweat if you get a B or a C here or there.

Reactions: 3 users
If the whole science program is notoriously difficult, do they not curve final grades?

Example: my physics course was rough and the exams themselves were not curved, but if you got like an 85 or above cumulative, you got an A in the course. (Not A-. An A.)

If not, then that's unfortunate and I'm sorry they make it worse than it has to be.

I enjoyed the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language books and found them to be very helpful during orgo; you may want to look into those.

Reactions: 2 users
And not to scare you...but of the two, I'd recommend putting more mental energy into doing well in orgo than into physics.

Organic is a pre-req for biochem for a reason. (It's not an exact continuation, so if you don't do well in orgo you can still do well in biochem, but it will help you later on to do as well as you can.)

Physics is a pre-req for other physics classes you probably don't need to take.

Reactions: 1 users
(not necessarily school advice- just confidence advice as organic has me questioning whether or not I have what it takes to get into vet school).
Whoops, just saw this part.

Don't let one professor's hardass tendencies dictate your confidence in your own abilities. Along the same lines, grades often do not equate to your grasp of the material, so don't worry about them if you feel like you're still doing your best -- you can only do as much as you can do, and at a certain point, focusing too much will start to have negative returns.

It's ok not to get A's in everything all the time, especially when the material is hard and overwhelming. That's a reality in vet school, even more so than in undergrad. For some added perspective, the passing score for the NAVLE is typically like 65%. That's a D- or an F on most college grading scales. Those people still turn out to be good vets. Grades are important, and they'll help you get in to vet school, but one grade likely isn't going to sink your future career prospects in perpetuity.

And one more side note -- if you're truly working that hard and still not getting the material, then that's something that should go into your course reviews imo. You pay professors a lot of money to teach you, and if you're meeting your end of the bargain, then make sure they are meeting theirs, too.

Reactions: 1 user
My school had a really hard science department, too. I ended up with a significant amount of B's. I didn't ever have a D, but I did have 2 C's and *technically* failed two math courses (since I didn't pass the first, I wasn't supposed to be in the 2nd, but I replaced them both with As on retake at a school that will honor replacement grades)

I'll tell you I was always a pretty average student and never sat at the top of my class. My cum GPA was somewhere around 3.5, science and last 45 a little lower. I had incredibly diverse veterinary/animal/work experiences, good (80/82% q/v) GRE, and it took me 3 cycles to get accepted.

However, now I'm a first year.

The takeaways for you and a little sidenote are

1) you don't need to get As and B's in every course
2) if vet school is what you really want, determination and hard work can get you there
3) sidenote - last 45 is weighted fairly highly at some schools but considered, I believe, everywhere - thus, some schools might not even be looking very closely at grades you're getting now, they want to see improvement

I enjoyed the Organic Chemistry as a Second Language books and found them to be very helpful during orgo; you may want to look into those.

I definitely second this. I read the book for each semester prior to taking that semester, and it helped dramatically to be able to relate what my professor was saying to something that was a little more plainly worded. Even though you're at the end of your first semester, it may be of help to you to get a better grasp of general concepts - OChem profs seem to love to pull out things on exams that look nothing like what you've already seen, and it's less panic-inducing if you can break them down into things you DO know.

Disclaimer: I absolutely adored OChem, but I got to be very close with the head of the OChem program at the school where I took those courses. She didn't end up being my professor either semester, but just having someone close to me who was enthusiastic about it helped me to be enthusiastic, too. My lab partner was also a fellow weirdo who loved it (and a fellow Organic Chemistry as a Second Language aficionado), which was helpful. There's always some nerd who loves OChem - find them! Then it becomes more of a puzzle and a game, which tends to help you cope with problem-solving when you're confronted with a scary exam.

For what it's worth, OChem seems to be a big weed-out course for pre-vet and pre-med. I started this journey with about a dozen pre-vet friends. I ended up being the only one to actually apply. I lost everyone to OChem, including the daughters of the vet I've been working with (who was heartbroken when they both switched to other career paths!). You do have to pass OChem. Beyond that, you have to understand it, at least well enough to also pass OChem 2 and Biochem. That doesn't mean that you're necessarily going to be stuck in this ego-crushing struggle for another two semesters. Personally, I found OChem 2 to be easier than 1, and Biochem has a logic that's a little more accessible than OChem. Whether or not you get a C in OChem 1 isn't nearly as important as A) you DID pass it, B) you have the guts and determination to keep going even though it's difficult, and C) you take this opportunity to grow from it. College isn't just working hard, but learning to work smart, and that means figuring out how to best prepare yourself for the situation you're facing.

As far as physics goes... I think most vet/med/health science programs kinda expect physics to be bad. If you can take it at a community college, maybe when you're home for the summer or something, that helps. Physics at a university tends to be absolutely awful because it's often associated, at least to some degree, with actual physics majors and/or the engineering departments. Again, don't necessarily let it get you down. I loved Physics 1 but hated Physics 2; a lot of my friends were completely the opposite. There's not that much relation between the two courses, and they're honestly just something you get through because you have to.

Take a deep breath. Maybe change your approach to these classes, if you think that'll help for finals. Khan Academy and YouTube are great resources. There's a site called Master Organic Chemistry that's quite helpful. There are about a million similar sites for Physics because so many people struggle there. Then you can regroup over the break, clear your head a bit, and go back for second semester of these courses with some resources that work for you already ready to go. Grades/GPAs tend to improve in your later years in college, so don't let those worry you too much now. You'll be okay. This is the worst part, seriously.

I definitely second this. I read the book for each semester prior to taking that semester, and it helped dramatically to be able to relate what my professor was saying to something that was a little more plainly worded. Even though you're at the end of your first semester, it may be of help to you to get a better grasp of general concepts - OChem profs seem to love to pull out things on exams that look nothing like what you've already seen, and it's less panic-inducing if you can break them down into things you DO know.

Disclaimer: I absolutely adored OChem, but I got to be very close with the head of the OChem program at the school where I took those courses. She didn't end up being my professor either semester, but just having someone close to me who was enthusiastic about it helped me to be enthusiastic, too. My lab partner was also a fellow weirdo who loved it (and a fellow Organic Chemistry as a Second Language aficionado), which was helpful. There's always some nerd who loves OChem - find them! Then it becomes more of a puzzle and a game, which tends to help you cope with problem-solving when you're confronted with a scary exam.

For what it's worth, OChem seems to be a big weed-out course for pre-vet and pre-med. I started this journey with about a dozen pre-vet friends. I ended up being the only one to actually apply. I lost everyone to OChem, including the daughters of the vet I've been working with (who was heartbroken when they both switched to other career paths!). You do have to pass OChem. Beyond that, you have to understand it, at least well enough to also pass OChem 2 and Biochem. That doesn't mean that you're necessarily going to be stuck in this ego-crushing struggle for another two semesters. Personally, I found OChem 2 to be easier than 1, and Biochem has a logic that's a little more accessible than OChem. Whether or not you get a C in OChem 1 isn't nearly as important as A) you DID pass it, B) you have the guts and determination to keep going even though it's difficult, and C) you take this opportunity to grow from it. College isn't just working hard, but learning to work smart, and that means figuring out how to best prepare yourself for the situation you're facing.

As far as physics goes... I think most vet/med/health science programs kinda expect physics to be bad. If you can take it at a community college, maybe when you're home for the summer or something, that helps. Physics at a university tends to be absolutely awful because it's often associated, at least to some degree, with actual physics majors and/or the engineering departments. Again, don't necessarily let it get you down. I loved Physics 1 but hated Physics 2; a lot of my friends were completely the opposite. There's not that much relation between the two courses, and they're honestly just something you get through because you have to.

Take a deep breath. Maybe change your approach to these classes, if you think that'll help for finals. Khan Academy and YouTube are great resources. There's a site called Master Organic Chemistry that's quite helpful. There are about a million similar sites for Physics because so many people struggle there. Then you can regroup over the break, clear your head a bit, and go back for second semester of these courses with some resources that work for you already ready to go. Grades/GPAs tend to improve in your later years in college, so don't let those worry you too much now. You'll be okay. This is the worst part, seriously.
Thank you so much, this was so helpful!

Sounds like you'll have plenty of animal experience by the time that it matters. If you can get research experience, that always looks good too.

That being said, it's important to be able to present yourself as a complete person and not just a school machine. Whatever your hobbies/passions are, don't abandon those just for school or work if you don't have to. I didn't have a diversity of animal experience (2 years as a shelter tech), but I had a variety of extracurricular experiences (e.g., community service and athletic accomplishments) that I could focus on in applications and interviews.

I don’t necessarily have advice on how to improve your grades, but like some others have said, don’t focus solely on school. I used to do this and my junior year it in part caused me to have a break down and I had to drop two classes and I got a bit depressed (one of those classes was physics). You’re taking hard classes, and there can be a lot of pressure to get “perfect” grades, but it’s important to remember to take care of your mental health too. Get enough sleep, eat enough food, make time to hang out with some friends, join a fun student organization, make art, whatever floats your boat. Improved mental attitude can positively impact your grades.

Orgo:
I got a D+ the first time I took orgo 1 (in my defense, class average was a D but schools don't see that so...). My retake was an A. Orgo 2 was an A-.
I attribute at least 2/3 the increase to the style of teacher. Do you have multiple professors that teach the subject? If I struggled with a concept a lot, I sometimes went over to another section and sat in again on the lecture. The professors didn't care. Each session often has their own TA led review sections, too. Khan academy, etc... all great and taught slightly differently.

You can do it, I promise, it's mostly just figuring out how to make learning it work for you.

I found mechanism worksheets the most helpful. The TA led sessions were tedious but the sheets they handed out were gold. I can try to dig up mine if you'd like - they'd be written on but still useful. Or a google search would probably work just as well.

Are 3D models more your style? They didn't help me much but they might work for you. I found colored pens to code and track how molecules moved on paper were so useful to me. My notes for orgo were a rainbow.

Physics:
It's just math in an applied manner. I found it much easier than the two semesters of calculus. Mostly I did so many example problems I dreamed them. Most professors tend to use the same questions for practice vs exams and just change the numbers a bit. Physics DOES apply to biology - do you struggle with the math? Maybe link it to medical concepts, that's what helped me get it.

The impact on your grades, and the stress it brings, sucks. But at the end of the day one or two bad grades won't stop you from succeeding in life.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Thank you so much! I’m trying to diversify my experiences as I only have 400 hours as a technician at a local small animal hospital (but granted, im only a sophomore!) what kinda of experiences did you have that you think helped you to stand out?
The categories for veterinary medicine that I had included: equine (not much), laboratory animal, pathology, and small animal.

I also had general animal experience in equine, small animals, and avian.

Pathology was a fantastic experience and provided a lot of networks for me so I highly recommend it, if it catches your interest.

EDIT: I wanted to add, my laboratory animal experience came from an unpaid position at school. It was just a few hours a week but a year of that adds up. My avian experience was combined of a paid position on campus and a volunteer position off of campus. Campus jobs are a great way to get experience because you're already there and can do it during breaks, and it'll give you species variation (aside from mice or zebra finches, there could be primates, rats, fish, frogs, etc on a well-developed research campus)

Last edited:
Organic was hard and so was physics! I did well but studied my butt off! I found You-Tube Videos to be the most help to me in both classes. Most have been mentioned but I also used the Organic Chemistry Tutor Your Tube Channel. It helped with both Physics and Organic. In fact it helped so much I'm now an LA (Undergrad TA) in the physics department! I second working hard on Organic more than physics because it will help in Biochemistry (which is my hardest class to date). Our last exam an A was 70 and above with one person getting a 90 for the highest grade.

I also agree with keeping a balance and a B or C here or there won't hurt. Just be sure to get the science GPA to a place where it is good when you apply. You can do it.

As for standing out. I had quite a bit of vet experience with small animals and more with equine. I also had a huge amount of equine animal experience. What they said made me stand out was my experience with people. I had volunteered at a hospice and had worked as a horseback counselor at a month-long summer camp. They said those experiences showed I could work with people during the rough times, like telling them their animal was not going to make it, and handle difficult people.

I had volunteered at a hospice and had worked as a horseback counselor at a month-long summer camp. They said those experiences showed I could work with people during the rough times, like telling them their animal was not going to make it, and handle difficult people.
Missed the hospice part of this sentence on first read through and was very concerned/confused by a summer camp where you repeatedly had to tell people "their animal wasn't going to make it"

• Haha
Wow, that's awesome! I have been debating what I should do for this coming summer. I absolutely love working at the small animal practice that I have been working at but I really want to diversify my experiences too. Would you recommend that I spend another summer getting more hours as a small animal technician or branch out and look for another internship in a different area?
Consider what you want to do with your DVM career. Do you want to do any research? Specialize? Stick with SA GP?
Because in the end, we will *all* be qualified to be a GP, and work in a SA hospital, or work in a LA hospital, or a mixed practice.
You can continue to work in a SA practice, know that's what you love, and stay there after graduation. Some schools *will* at least want to see some LA experience, too.

If there's a chance that you want to do something outside of GP, definitely branch out now. The least it can do is help your application get noticed. When you're entering in school, you'll have a broad range of classmates and vet students country wide that you're competing against for externships or residencies. If they've developed the right skill set or made the right networks to be competitive and you haven't, they'll have a leg up.

Orgo is definitely difficult. It can also be the professors fault (it’s not always the students to blame!). I took Orgo 1 in the fall semester and then retook it and took Orgo 2 over the summer. I understood and it actually made sense when I took it over the summer because the professors went over material more clearly and gave us a lot of practice questions and textbook problems/solutions to look at. My professor over the summer was so much nicer and understood how difficult Orgo is. He explained things more clearly while the professor i took in fall semester didn’t care much about his students and just said “it’s a feeling; there isn’t a clear rule for answering these questions.” I ended up getting an A in Orgo 1 and 2 when I took it over the summer and actually understand what Orgo is and finally have that “feeling” my orginal Orgo teacher was talking about but I really needed someone to give me clear instructions and understanding before I could get to this point.

Definitely look on YouTube and sites like Master Organic Chemistry. I really loved their (Master Organic Chemistry) way of explaining the difference of enantiomers and Diastereomers using cats (look it up it is fun and makes sense). Try study groups and tutors at your school (my school had students who took the course previously as a resource who did free tutoring). Reading through all of your class notes every week so you keep studying and don’t forget anything is also really helpful.

If you have to take the ACS (the official chemistry exam; American chemical society), lemme know since I have a link to the pdf of the study guide.

Good luck and I hope you are able to figure out the best way for you. Just remember that a lot of people struggle with Orgo and it is mostly the profs fault in my opinion. We are here for you and don’t be afraid to talk to your professor and ask them what they think the best resource is for learning this or students in your school who have taken it.

Getting accepted into vet school can happen even if you have some bad grades. You just have to show them that you are a good student (with your other grades) and that you have animal experience or just interesting experiences. Grades are not everything!

Last edited:
Thank you so much, this is very helpful! My school definitely has a very difficult chemistry program and a lot of times the exams seem very different than what we have been taught (which makes it very hard to do well!) I currently have a very high C in th class so I have to do well on the final in order to finish the class with a B, which has been stressing me out! I just keep trying to remind myself that lots of people make Cs in organic and end up getting into vet school so i’m trying my best not to stress out about it!!

If you're dealing with exams that are different from what you're being taught, definitely hit up Organic Chemistry as a Second Language/Master Organic Chemistry/YouTube etc. Really delve deep into whichever one of those "speaks" most clearly to you, and then explore the others as much as you can to reinforce concepts from a different perspective. OChem concepts are pretty standard - I actually ended up tutoring OChem at a different school from the one where I took it, and they used a very different book, lecturing style, exam style, etc. I really didn't have to spend as much time adapting as I expected. If you understand the concepts and let these resources point out what to look for, maybe the final won't be so scary. You've got this!

Hey everyone, I'm finishing up my first semester of my sophomore year and it has been a rough one. I'm currently taking organic chemistry 1 and physics 1 together which has been really exhausting. I recently took my last organic chemistry exam before the final exam and got a D on it. I've always been a straight A student. The exam was basically completely different from the material that was taught to us and caught me off guard. The science department at my school is extremely difficult. This has left me sitting between a C and a B and I will have to do pretty well on the final to finish the class with a B. My physics professor is also extremely hard and I have gotten some of my lowest grades this semester and it has really hurt my confidence. I currently have a cumulative 3.75 after freshman year. School is my top priority and I work extremely hard. I have gone to office hours every week for organic chemistry, done all of the practice problems, watched all of the optional practice videos, and at this point, I don't know what else I can do. I basically eat, sleep, and breathe school. I guess I'm just looking for a little bit of advice from somebody who has been in my position (not necessarily school advice- just confidence advice as organic has me questioning whether or not I have what it takes to get into vet school). I have never gotten a C in a class and I'm hoping that I won't end up with one this semester, but it seems like none of my work is paying off in that class. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! :)
Im a little late to this Forum, but have you considered using a website called Chad's Videos? He is SO good, and breaks things down easily! It's free too (the best part haha). I had to take Organic Chem 2 twice, and I think i might have to take it a third time due to a family emergency, and I've spoken to several Vet universities about that and they said not to worry. If one class is giving you a hard time, but everything else is good, chances are they'll overlook it. What matters is that it's not a consisting grade in all your other classes. Also, if you retake the class and do well on your second try, they consider the better grade into the GPA that the university creates for your app (but they'll still see your first grade and will ask you about it). Don't stress too much though. While academics are a huge thing that schools look at, they also care about your experience. If you have GREAT experience and one or two meh grades, it kind of balances out. You've got this! Just be well-rounded! Perfect grades/scores and crap experience will NOT get you into vet school! I know people with 2.8 GPA's who got into Vet school and are currently working in the field, so it's definitely not impossible or the end of the world if you get one eh grade.

Im a little late to this Forum, but have you considered using a website called Chad's Videos? He is SO good, and breaks things down easily! It's free too (the best part haha). I had to take Organic Chem 2 twice, and I think i might have to take it a third time due to a family emergency, and I've spoken to several Vet universities about that and they said not to worry. If one class is giving you a hard time, but everything else is good, chances are they'll overlook it. What matters is that it's not a consisting grade in all your other classes. Also, if you retake the class and do well on your second try, they consider the better grade into the GPA that the university creates for your app (but they'll still see your first grade and will ask you about it). Don't stress too much though. While academics are a huge thing that schools look at, they also care about your experience. If you have GREAT experience and one or two meh grades, it kind of balances out. You've got this! Just be well-rounded! Perfect grades/scores and crap experience will NOT get you into vet school! I know people with 2.8 GPA's who got into Vet school and are currently working in the field, so it's definitely not impossible or the end of the world if you get one eh grade.
Thank you so much for the advice!!! :)