Chemistry Basics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gina Lawson

Reaction score
Hi all!

I've started prereqs this summer and haven't taken chem in 20y. Seeking advice on best way to prep for Gen Chem. Free Coursera course, old-fashioned library texts, take an actual intro course? Would love to save $ but also want to be well-prepared.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all!

I've started prereqs this summer and haven't taken chem in 20y. Seeking advice on best way to prep for Gen Chem. Free Coursera course, old-fashioned library texts, take an actual intro course? Would love to save $ but also want to be well-prepared.

Thanks!
Take it at a community college! The classes are often smaller than 4-year university courses so you get better individual attention if you need help.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it at a community college! The classes are often smaller than 4-year university courses so you get better individual attention if you need help.
Hey, I had the same situation. I just went for it but I would probably take an intro course if I did it again. Part of the difficulty for me with being a returning student was actually learning how the courses work. Does that make sense? How much time to spend on in topic? When to go for help? How in depth do I have to know something? I will say that I did ace Gen Chem 2 after learning how everything worked in Gen Chem 1. I also found that study groups were really helpful.

Reactions: 1 user