Organic Chemistry - Ahh!!

luvblueyes

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again :oops:

So I have another dilemma I am hoping somebody will be able to help me with!!

I have taken 1 of 3 terms of Organic Chemistry. I really have not studied this section at all!! I TRIED, but it seriously made NO sense!!!!

I know BASIC BASIC.
FOR EXAMPLE - naming, stability, chirality, and a few reactions w/ alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes such as hydroboration, mercury oxidation, acid catalyzed hydration etc.

I was recently introduced to BENZENE in my last week of classes :eek: On the opted O.Chem section I decided to wing it and only got a 270!! YIKES!! I notice there is alot of reaction questions...like what is the final product?

Is there ANY hints anybody can give that might help a bit?? I tried looking through my text book too, but there is soo much information that it is useless to actually try to learn and understand it in these last few days. I would rather concentrate on the sections I can actually get a good mark on.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??????? :confused:
I want to learn SOMETHING....haha

Members don't see this ad.

Hello again :oops:

So I have another dilemma I am hoping somebody will be able to help me with!!

I have taken 1 of 3 terms of Organic Chemistry. I really have not studied this section at all!! I TRIED, but it seriously made NO sense!!!!

I know BASIC BASIC.
FOR EXAMPLE - naming, stability, chirality, and a few reactions w/ alkanes, alkenes, and alkynes such as hydroboration, mercury oxidation, acid catalyzed hydration etc.

I was recently introduced to BENZENE in my last week of classes :eek: On the opted O.Chem section I decided to wing it and only got a 270!! YIKES!! I notice there is alot of reaction questions...like what is the final product?

Is there ANY hints anybody can give that might help a bit?? I tried looking through my text book too, but there is soo much information that it is useless to actually try to learn and understand it in these last few days. I would rather concentrate on the sections I can actually get a good mark on.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??????? :confused:
I want to learn SOMETHING....haha

know difference between Sn1/sn2/e1/e2. Its really easy to understand the differences- you're book should have a digram, if not google complementary terms.

Yes, I was in the same dilemma as you. I had only completed 1 semester of organic chem before the OAT and I knew I was screwed for it. In my 1 semester of organic chem we did not go into detail about benzene reactions, NMR and IR spectroscopy so I tried to glaze over the material to familiarize myself with it a little bit but I didn't have time to learn all this brand new material because I only had a week to study. I just focused my time to fine tune and crush the other sections, rather then waste all of it on organic chem only. Soo if you have time, teach yourself the material you haven't learned yet but if you don't then...just focus on doing exceptional on the other sections but try to learn enough for organic chem such that you can get at least a low 300 on the opted test. It worked for me because I have been accepted, and the interviewer was like well you only had 1 semester of organic chem that must be why that score is low so he didn't ask me about it. :).

I agree with Jenboo23....

I studied basics, only had one quarter of classwork, and ended up with a 360. It was much easier on the OAT than on the practice exams. Know your basics, and dont worry about too much else...work harder on the other sections!

Good Luck!