Oregon is an addict

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MitchLevi

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
It will be interesting to see where we're at as a nation with regard to drug use in 5-6 yrs.

Seems there's a lot of buyer's remorse in Oregon.

Friday, after a long week I'm sitting on my backporch drinking a whiskey and smoking a cigar and came across an article on Doximity.

The Consequences of Our War on Opioids: The Consequences of Our War On Opioids

There's a role for prescription opiates, and I hope we learn to separate illicit fentanyl from Norco.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 user
The author graduated medical school in 1988. He's an old-timer defending his old-timer pain-treating ways.

Edit: Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I find it interesting that most of the articles I see that support increasing opioid prescriptions are either from elderly physicians, academic physicians who don't practice clinical pain management, or are non-physician researchers. Every sub-50 year old physician I know who practices clinical pain management recommends little to no opioid medication for chronic pain.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
It will be interesting to see where we're at as a nation with regard to drug use in 5-6 yrs.

Seems there's a lot of buyer's remorse in Oregon.

Friday, after a long week I'm sitting on my backporch drinking a whiskey and smoking a cigar and came across an article on Doximity.

The Consequences of Our War on Opioids: The Consequences of Our War On Opioids

There's a role for prescription opiates, and I hope we learn to separate illicit fentanyl from Norco.

The great liberal dream of unfettered and decriminalized drug use is a failure.

This isn't like decriminalizing marijuana.

Decriminalizing things like meth, fentanyl, etc was always a recipe for disaster.

These drugs turn people into non functional zombies. Decriminalizing just exposes more people into becoming addicts.

The last thing society needs is more barely functional 60 year old drug addicts.

Members don't see this ad :)
The author graduated medical school in 1988. He's an old-timer defending his old-timer pain-treating ways.

Edit: Perhaps I'm being too harsh, but I find it interesting that most of the articles I see that support increasing opioid prescriptions are either from elderly physicians, academic physicians who don't practice clinical pain management, or are non-physician researchers. Every sub-50 year old physician I know who practices clinical pain management recommends little to no opioid medication for chronic pain.

And every article I see is written from the perspective of opioid refugees supported by doctors with this old fashioned attitude.

A journalist online was requesting stories from healthcare personnel about limitations on their ability to give opioids. I wrote the journalist and said they’re missing part of the story, which is that many pain experts don’t believe opioids are helpful for chronic pain. No response from the journalist.

And every article I see is written from the perspective of opioid refugees supported by doctors with this old fashioned attitude.

A journalist online was requesting stories from healthcare personnel about limitations on their ability to give opioids. I wrote the journalist and said they’re missing part of the story, which is that many pain experts don’t believe opioids are helpful for chronic pain. No response from the journalist.

Journalist these days are no longer in discovering truth and then sharing objective truth with the world.

They are just propaganda artists, pushing a particular narrative, truth be damned.

Journalists are laughingstocks these days, yet this doesn’t seem to affect the modern writers, but the older generation would be appalled.

Reactions: 1 user
Opiods play a role in my practice, but < 40 MED and the most common dose being Norco 5 BID. If yall see my mother and she's miserable and filled to the brim with stenosis, give the poor woman a little opiate.

Opiods play a role in my practice, but < 40 MED and the most common dose being Norco 5 BID. If yall see my mother and she's miserable and filled to the brim with stenosis, give the poor woman a little opiate.

Agree. Truth is always somewhere in the middle. The extremes are not where you find truth.

No one on COT makes no sense as per your examples. Particularly elderly patients who really improve function on modest 10-20 MED doses.

But the other extreme of giving someone COT particularly a young patient just because the patient says they hurt, is also not a great idea.