Psych -> Addiction -> Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lots-o-questions

Reaction score
Hello all! I just posted something similar in the psychiatry forum but wanted to get some thoughts from this group as well. I have been planning on doing an addiction fellowship since I started medical school, recently came to the conclusion that I want to also do a pain fellowship.

While my institution is very well respected in the world of Addiction/Psych it is not a major household academic name such as JHSM, B&W, M-G, Yale, Mayo, Columbia, and so forth. It would be really nice to just stay here and do fellowship for logistical reasons such as avoiding yet another move, and the entire headache of switching to a different institution (paperwork, getting new VA clearance [oh no!] and so forth).

Two things that are pulling me away from staying at the home institution are:

1. (This one was more aimed at the psychiatrists but would still be open to your thoughts as well) There is a part of me that would like to go to another program/institution to get the exposure to a different system and culture. How valid is this thought? Would getting some training somewhere else, be different enough that it would add value to my educational experience?
- To answer some anticipated questions A no I do not plan on staying in the area of my current institution for the rest of my career. B No I don't know where I want to end up in the long run it probably wont be a big city therefore while I'm glad to train in one I will likely not end up staying where I would anticipate going for most Addictions fellowships.

2. To set myself up to get into pain, I worry that it may be more prudent to go somewhere with a big "brand name" such as the locations noted above. Obviously having somewhere like Yale or Harvard on my CV would help some-what in the application process. However I'm struggling to appreciate how much (to all the PD's out there, would a fellowship from a big name REALLY turn your head or is it more like EHH that's cool).
Also in response to anticipated question A Yes I do I recognize its SUPER hard to get into pain from psych.

Thanks in advance I anticipate I will have more questions as this thread gets going.

Members don't see this ad.