Oral Boards 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just took the orals and man…I really don’t think I passed that thing. The first SOE stem started out ok then I started stumbling. The second SOE felt a lot better.

But the OSCE…ultrasound was fine, QI was fine…definitely bombed the consent station (went through options and some risks but forgot to go through reasons and benefits) and also bombed the monitor section…I think I got MAYBE 2/3 correct answers.

I feel sick.

Members don't see this ad.

I just took the orals and man…I really don’t think I passed that thing. The first SOE stem started out ok then I started stumbling. The second SOE felt a lot better.

But the OSCE…ultrasound was fine, QI was fine…definitely bombed the consent station (went through options and some risks but forgot to go through reasons and benefits) and also bombed the monitor section…I think I got MAYBE 2/3 correct answers.

I feel sick.
Everyone feels this way. Try not to ruminate on it. You probably did much better than you think.

Reactions: 1 user

I feel sick.
The exam felt totally brutal for me so I understand how you feel. Haven’t slept well for days after taking it and can’t stop replaying it in my mind. The only problem is the duress was so intense that my memory blacked out much of what actually happened, so I can’t even trust the version I actually remember. The only thing that gave me a sliver of comfort is talking to a couple of other folks who also took the exam the same day and realizing that the struggles and triumphs were similar. 🤞🏽

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi has anyone asked for a rescore of the OSCE and been successful? I passed the SOE today and failed the OSCE. I studied for weeks for the OSCE, felt like i did very well on it and still got a failing score. Thanks in advance
Did you end up asking for a rescore? Just received my results, passed the SOE and failed the OSCE.

Jfc I wonder what the failure rate for the OSCE is this year. Compared to threads from the past few years, there sure seems to be a major jump in the number of posts about it.

P. S. No judgment here. I failed it too

Did you end up asking for a rescore? Just received my results, passed the SOE and failed the OSCE.

The rescore isn’t actually a rescore. It’s literally just giving them another $200 for them to give you another swift kick in the ass. They don’t do a damn thing on the “rescore” which is really just an “exam score validity check”, they just look at what scores the graders gave you and make sure that was translated over. Trust me, you’re just pissing more money away to scumbags who don’t deserve it if you do that. Wait until you see the next racket they’ll hit you with: the only day you can sign up for the OSCE when you go to re-take is way far in the future, but then like 2 days after you sign up for it, magically a spot opens up in a couple months if you pay the $500 date change fee.

The ABA is probably a criminal organization.

The rescore isn’t actually a rescore. It’s literally just giving them another $200 for them to give you another swift kick in the ass. They don’t do a damn thing on the “rescore” which is really just an “exam score validity check”, they just look at what scores the graders gave you and make sure that was translated over. Trust me, you’re just pissing more money away to scumbags who don’t deserve it if you do that. Wait until you see the next racket they’ll hit you with: the only day you can sign up for the OSCE when you go to re-take is way far in the future, but then like 2 days after you sign up for it, magically a spot opens up in a couple months if you pay the $500 date change fee.

The ABA is probably a criminal organization.

Probably?

Well I just got my exam results back. I failed. I am completely crushed

• Care
  • Dislike
Reactions: 3 users
Passed. Did half of UBP SOE portion which was meh. Did the entire OSCE portion 4 days before which was money well spent.

Good luck all. 🖕ABA

Well I just got my exam results back. I failed. I am completely crushed
I am so sorry : ( It is SUCH a subjective test too. I passed SOE but had failed OSCE first time before which I passed on second attempt. I hadn’t really studied for OSCE first time around because of limited time I had due to fellowship and focused that time on SOE- felt great about OSCE first time actually and failed lol I studied for OSCE using UBP for second time but felt horrible about it afterwards (due to anxiety from past experience of failing) and passed. It’s all money grab, and it doesn’t make any sense. It’s not you, it’s the ABA. I hope you can recover from this disappointment and crush it next time. Happy to chat more if you’d like via PM.

I’ve used UBP as well as old ABA exam stems to practice out loud for SOE. The ABA exams are gold btw. I did 3 mock orals with ABA examiners.

I’ve used UBP for OSCE for second time and look over the ABA applied outline- which outlines what they are looking for. And basically just pretend you’re a robot trying to hit those “points.”

I can’t believe we tolerate going through this, paying hard-earned money. I wonder what surgeons would say if they had to pretend to be talking to a “difficult anesthesiologists” or actors as a part of their oral boards and pay a few grands to take the exam. It is such a joke!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry to hear about the people failing the OSCE and passing the oral exams.

The anesthesia department where I was doing my fellowship had a practice OSCE session and I am so glad I participated. Really kicked my butt and made me seriously prepare for the real thing.

Someone had made a pdf of how to prepare for the OSCE on sdn and I found it excellent. Also got an app on IPad that teaches you TEE views and ultrasound anatomy, labeled and unlabeled. I think I payed like 10 dollars or so for that, well worth it.

I didn't find UBP helpful, too wordy. Dr. Hos book is great if you have it during residency but way too much info for this exam.

I had bit the bullet when I knew I had stopped making progress on the oral board prep and signed up for Just Oral Boards. Can't recommend it enough.

I was in a unique situation where I was starting a job in a great location doing both pain and anesthesia, both under my terms. The caveat was they had insisted that I be board certified before starting. So structured prep was a no brainer.

Surprised but passed. Used UBP. Was great for osce. Was very worldly and I was often cut off when trying to answer. They really wanted short to the point answers

Members don't see this ad :)
passed. did UBP for SOE/OSCE. read the red cases book twice during long cases at work. did maybe 5-10 practice cases with coresidents over facetime in the few weeks leading up to the exam. did one formal practice case with UBP staff.

i found the videos for the UBP cases to be much more helpful than the cases alone. the UBP OSCE is 100% like the real exam. it probably takes a day or 2 to go through the UBP OSCE content.

Glad it’s all over and done with.

This is more of a post for those of you that may have failed the oral or the Osce, or both. As you all know the majority of people pass both sections without problems.

As somebody who scored above the 95th percentile in all of the exams since the basic and on the advanced I didn't think that I would have too much of an issue with the applied exam. Also while in a busy fellowship trying to find a job and figure out the next phase of my life, maybe my mind was preoccupied last year but needless to say my first attempt at this exam did not go well. ]

I studied using ultimate board prep primarily initially my methods were inefficient. I was doing a lot of reading and not enough practicing. A couple months before my exam date last year I began practicing more with other colleagues from residency. We would go through the released practice exams from the ABA and also from the practice sets in UBP. I wasn't necessarily satisfied with the amount of practice I was getting with colleagues and also I felt like I needed to hear how some of these questions are answered. So at that point I decided to shell out 5K and purchase Dr. Hos course because it included some content and also “mock” exams. My error here was thinking that the mock exams would be reliable, and realistic and provide me with feedback thats useful. Nope. This was the first and major mistake I made in this process.

Up until about eight weeks before my exam I had to use ultimate board prep primarily and in my first mock exam through Dr. Ho's course appeared as if I was already doing very well. However by this point I had barely used any of his materials and the majority of my preparation and approach for the test was from ultimate board prep. Needless to say I shifted to Dr. Ho materials. I also know several other people who were in fellowships last year who also took Dr. Hos course and who also failed the oral.

Dr. Ho is a manipulator, a liar and will purposefully and intentionally twist your words during mock exams. He loves to engage in fear mongering and this is the primary method by gets you to believe his course material is the best . I recorded my mocks particularly because I was troubled with how they were going. I listened to the recordings and discovered that Dr. Ho would say I said some thing which I completely did not. And he would perseverate on this matter over and over again. The real exam is nothing like this there is no wasting time on things. As soon as I discovered this happening not just once but several times on different occasions I sort of had an understanding that this was a somewhat of a scam and lost all credibility in his course.

Also, the majority of the mock sessions you have bear no realism or resemblance to the real exam. Some of the people giving you exams do not replicate how the real exam is at all. Also a lot of times when you schedule an exam the availability on the schedule of software is incorrect on multiple occasions people did not come online for their exams because they were actually not available and had to be rescheduled. Also Dr. Ho mock exam prompts are very short and nothing like the ABA. I will say that the exam prompts in his videos are more like the aba.

A lot of the tactics and test taking strategies that are employed through anesthesia consultants will cause you to fail the exam. I truly believe I failed the exam because of this and trying to use their tactics and methods specifically in regards to how to answer questions. I know others who also took his course and also failed. I will say that like UBP the content aspect of the course overall I thought was good.

For the OSCE, I focused more on the monitors and ultrasound stations and not so much on the other stations. Needless to say I was caught off guard a little bit with the exam and that did not go well either the first time. I use ultimate board prep for the OSCE and it was sufficient I felt overall but I think my reason for the poor performance the first time was not practicing the other components of the OSCE.

Other colleagues who also took Dr. Ho found out that they failed and Dr. Ho will not give you the SAME access to his materials even if you fail with his guaranteed course. He will give you access to cut down version that's more bare-bones until your retake it. Also the most appalling part of Dr. Ho and anesthesia consultants is the fact that he will then offer you another course for $10,000 in under the facade to help you pass. Multiple people have failed even after taking Dr. Ho's courses.

Dr. Ho comes off as a nice and sweet guy but it's a facade. He is out to scam you of your money. Even during the mock exams at some points he will try and upsell you on other courses and add-ons that are offered. Other people who give exams through his course also do this. It's a major turn off.

Needless to say I was shocked when I got my results, devastated, crushed, really lacking any confidence in myself or does process. I started asking other people that I had met if they had passed and needless to say they also had failed one or both components of the exam.

At that point in my life I had a dream job lined up and had to move and figure out the usual life type things. And in terms of rescheduling the only availability was almost another year away and my job also wanted for certification as soon as possible.

I did some reading of forums and found that there are people that have failed OSCE multiple times and also the orals multiple times. I began to wonder if this would be me…

I was not pleased with the ABA as well and their feedback in regards to the OSCE, a one-word description on your performance for each station is quite appalling and unacceptable. Given the amount of money we pay for the exam the travel and all the other expenses the ABA should do a little better in terms of its feedback for the OSCE.

As a prior post mentioned the ABA magically had more availability in earlier dates for me the more money I paid and after several rounds of emails and several rounds of $500 transactions over the course of several weeks I managed to get a day within the same year and become boarded. It was quite painful to do this to spend thousands of dollars alone on rescheduling fees but at the same time I did not want to wait approximately another year to have the opportunity to possibly become boarded. Further the costs of paying for the exam again, flights, hotel etc getting time off. It was a pain. I wanted this thing over me and to forget about it and move on

I began my new job doing both anesthesia and my subspecialty , being a little bummed out with this whole thing and also began to prep again to try and become boarded within the same year. I wasted zero time with Dr. Ho and did not give him a penny more. I banished from my mind his stupid tactics. For the second time I practiced with a former examiner, And this is probably the best way to prepare because I was not being misled or being told to say stupid things or have stupid strategies to answer questions.I did read some up-to-date articles and also I read very selective chapters in Barash. I practiced with nobody else at all. I did practice with my self reviewing the retired ABA stems and brushing up on those topics with the sources I mentioned. I would also skim the Gupta book and also review some material via UBP. For the OSCE, I followed the outline more closely for the other sections which I did not focus on prior. As a matter of fact i did LESS mocks than the first time, but had much better results. The ultimate board prep OSCE covers a great majority of what you need to know but also note that it is missing some elements and you may get stations with these elements so be sure to read up on them in case they show up. On my retake the material that was not covered did show up on my exam. just really know the content outline well for the OSCE. At work I would scan patients for TTE practice in the PACU and also just practice getting views for blocks.

TLDR
  1. Say No to the HO
  2. Use UBP
  3. Follow the aba outline for osce + UBP OSCE
  4. Practice the osci stations with people
You will pass, you will get over this. It will be a distant memory.

This is more of a post for those of you that may have failed the oral or the Osce, or both. As you all know the majority of people pass both sections without problems.

As somebody who scored above the 95th percentile in all of the exams since the basic and on the advanced I didn't think that I would have too much of an issue with the applied exam. Also while in a busy fellowship trying to find a job and figure out the next phase of my life, maybe my mind was preoccupied last year but needless to say my first attempt at this exam did not go well. ]

I studied using ultimate board prep primarily initially my methods were inefficient. I was doing a lot of reading and not enough practicing. A couple months before my exam date last year I began practicing more with other colleagues from residency. We would go through the released practice exams from the ABA and also from the practice sets in UBP. I wasn't necessarily satisfied with the amount of practice I was getting with colleagues and also I felt like I needed to hear how some of these questions are answered. So at that point I decided to shell out 5K and purchase Dr. Hos course because it included some content and also “mock” exams. My error here was thinking that the mock exams would be reliable, and realistic and provide me with feedback thats useful. Nope. This was the first and major mistake I made in this process.

Up until about eight weeks before my exam I had to use ultimate board prep primarily and in my first mock exam through Dr. Ho's course appeared as if I was already doing very well. However by this point I had barely used any of his materials and the majority of my preparation and approach for the test was from ultimate board prep. Needless to say I shifted to Dr. Ho materials. I also know several other people who were in fellowships last year who also took Dr. Hos course and who also failed the oral.

Dr. Ho is a manipulator, a liar and will purposefully and intentionally twist your words during mock exams. He loves to engage in fear mongering and this is the primary method by gets you to believe his course material is the best . I recorded my mocks particularly because I was troubled with how they were going. I listened to the recordings and discovered that Dr. Ho would say I said some thing which I completely did not. And he would perseverate on this matter over and over again. The real exam is nothing like this there is no wasting time on things. As soon as I discovered this happening not just once but several times on different occasions I sort of had an understanding that this was a somewhat of a scam and lost all credibility in his course.

Also, the majority of the mock sessions you have bear no realism or resemblance to the real exam. Some of the people giving you exams do not replicate how the real exam is at all. Also a lot of times when you schedule an exam the availability on the schedule of software is incorrect on multiple occasions people did not come online for their exams because they were actually not available and had to be rescheduled. Also Dr. Ho mock exam prompts are very short and nothing like the ABA. I will say that the exam prompts in his videos are more like the aba.

A lot of the tactics and test taking strategies that are employed through anesthesia consultants will cause you to fail the exam. I truly believe I failed the exam because of this and trying to use their tactics and methods specifically in regards to how to answer questions. I know others who also took his course and also failed. I will say that like UBP the content aspect of the course overall I thought was good.

For the OSCE, I focused more on the monitors and ultrasound stations and not so much on the other stations. Needless to say I was caught off guard a little bit with the exam and that did not go well either the first time. I use ultimate board prep for the OSCE and it was sufficient I felt overall but I think my reason for the poor performance the first time was not practicing the other components of the OSCE.

Other colleagues who also took Dr. Ho found out that they failed and Dr. Ho will not give you the SAME access to his materials even if you fail with his guaranteed course. He will give you access to cut down version that's more bare-bones until your retake it. Also the most appalling part of Dr. Ho and anesthesia consultants is the fact that he will then offer you another course for $10,000 in under the facade to help you pass. Multiple people have failed even after taking Dr. Ho's courses.

Dr. Ho comes off as a nice and sweet guy but it's a facade. He is out to scam you of your money. Even during the mock exams at some points he will try and upsell you on other courses and add-ons that are offered. Other people who give exams through his course also do this. It's a major turn off.

Needless to say I was shocked when I got my results, devastated, crushed, really lacking any confidence in myself or does process. I started asking other people that I had met if they had passed and needless to say they also had failed one or both components of the exam.

At that point in my life I had a dream job lined up and had to move and figure out the usual life type things. And in terms of rescheduling the only availability was almost another year away and my job also wanted for certification as soon as possible.

I did some reading of forums and found that there are people that have failed OSCE multiple times and also the orals multiple times. I began to wonder if this would be me…

I was not pleased with the ABA as well and their feedback in regards to the OSCE, a one-word description on your performance for each station is quite appalling and unacceptable. Given the amount of money we pay for the exam the travel and all the other expenses the ABA should do a little better in terms of its feedback for the OSCE.

As a prior post mentioned the ABA magically had more availability in earlier dates for me the more money I paid and after several rounds of emails and several rounds of $500 transactions over the course of several weeks I managed to get a day within the same year and become boarded. It was quite painful to do this to spend thousands of dollars alone on rescheduling fees but at the same time I did not want to wait approximately another year to have the opportunity to possibly become boarded. Further the costs of paying for the exam again, flights, hotel etc getting time off. It was a pain. I wanted this thing over me and to forget about it and move on

I began my new job doing both anesthesia and my subspecialty , being a little bummed out with this whole thing and also began to prep again to try and become boarded within the same year. I wasted zero time with Dr. Ho and did not give him a penny more. I banished from my mind his stupid tactics. For the second time I practiced with a former examiner, And this is probably the best way to prepare because I was not being misled or being told to say stupid things or have stupid strategies to answer questions.I did read some up-to-date articles and also I read very selective chapters in Barash. I practiced with nobody else at all. I did practice with my self reviewing the retired ABA stems and brushing up on those topics with the sources I mentioned. I would also skim the Gupta book and also review some material via UBP. For the OSCE, I followed the outline more closely for the other sections which I did not focus on prior. As a matter of fact i did LESS mocks than the first time, but had much better results. The ultimate board prep OSCE covers a great majority of what you need to know but also note that it is missing some elements and you may get stations with these elements so be sure to read up on them in case they show up. On my retake the material that was not covered did show up on my exam. just really know the content outline well for the OSCE. At work I would scan patients for TTE practice in the PACU and also just practice getting views for blocks.

TLDR
  1. Say No to the HO
  2. Use UBP
I thought Ho was OK:confused:

I would like to echo others - UBP for the OSCE was excellent. They also offer a mock OSCE exam. I took it with Dr. Flanders and this was incredibly helpful. The OSCE does not measure your ability to be a good clinician, it measures your ability to take the OSCE. Know every detail of the OSCE rubric. If you don't check all the boxes, you won't get the points.

I would like to echo others - UBP for the OSCE was excellent. They also offer a mock OSCE exam. I took it with Dr. Flanders and this was incredibly helpful. The OSCE does not measure your ability to be a good clinician, it measures your ability to take the OSCE. Know every detail of the OSCE rubric. If you don't check all the boxes, you won't get the points.
this 10000000xx
the outline is key
follow it you will pass

TLDR
  1. Say No to the HO
  2. Use UBP

More power to you for spending all that time to write your experience up.

Some people I know have very similar assessment of his course. A lot of scaring tactics. Some of the statements I remember the most were
“if I want to pay someone to scream at me, then that would be the course I want to take.”
“he just wants to let people know how smart he is.”

I certainly agree with how much he will tell the story that “I have this guy who failed x times, he finally buckled down and took my ultimate crazy expensive course, and he did 137 mocks with me, and finally he passed….”

Surely there are some good success for those who take his course. Most of those people all would eventually pass with or without him.

A lot of hearsay, so take it for what they’re worth.

P.S. he still owes me a mock exam. The examiner canceled last minute a day or two before the exam.

More power to you for spending all that time to write your experience up.

Some people I know have very similar assessment of his course. A lot of scaring tactics. Some of the statements I remember the most were
“if I want to pay someone to scream at me, then that would be the course I want to take.”
“he just wants to let people know how smart he is.”

I certainly agree with how much he will tell the story that “I have this guy who failed x times, he finally buckled down and took my ultimate crazy expensive course, and he did 137 mocks with me, and finally he passed….”

Surely there are some good success for those who take his course. Most of those people all would eventually pass with or without him.

A lot of hearsay, so take it for what they’re worth.

P.S. he still owes me a mock exam. The examiner canceled last minute a day or two before the exam.

i wanted to write it up, tell people my experience. Having to redo the whole thing was a shock no doubt. Hoping it helps a few folks from heart ache and the burden of it all. Yes, all that sounds like a typical experienced anesthesia consultant.

so who uses D.ABA? :rofl: have yet to see it ANYWHERE

i wanted to write it up, tell people my experience. Having to redo the whole thing was a shock no doubt. Hoping it helps a few folks from heart ache and the burden of it all. Yes, all that sounds like a typical experienced anesthesia consultant.

Hahaha. I know one of the new grads last year who passed his board and updated his profile somewhere and uses that. For the longest time I didn’t even know that existed….

I have jokingly signed DO D.ABA a couple times in an email here or there.

I agree with much of what has been said about Dr. Ho’s course. There are so many people taking the course that (statistically speaking) many participants will pass but it is unlikely their success is directly attributed to his course. That said, I still fell victim to thousands of dollars lost to his tactics.
Some takeaways from Dr. Ho resources I wish I knew from the start (if you are in need of more structure)…but purchase a la carte! STAY AWAY from the guaranteed plans:

(1) Critical events boot camp videos are solid.

(2) Cam club videos for passive listening during commutes or downtime. These are divided by topic and less disjointed than some of the other content.

(3) Set A/B/C MOP sessions were worthwhile for practice even though the stems/questions were just meh.

(4) Web mock exams with a very limited number of examiners were helpful (Dr. Arciaga’s style is most similar to some of the more antagonistic ABA examiners but her timing and format didn’t correlate quite as well; Dr. Toledano will get you OB ready; Dr. Andrews gives a ton of feedback and is good for recognizing critical learning gaps; also useful are Drs Geisler, Nguyen and Sebeo.

(5) I purposely did not take any mocks with Dr. Ho even though I paid for them in the plan because I felt he would counterproductively hurt my confidence. Maybe it is just his approach or maybe he is trying to sell his content, but I am glad I did not subject myself to his scrutiny.

Other resources I would recommend:

(1) UBP x 3. 1st pass - just read through the content but do not spend a lot of time on this. 2nd pass - have someone test you out loud and dive deep into identifying and closing your knowledge gaps. 3rd pass - test out loud again but practice choosing the SINGLE best sentence that answers each question and gives appropriate rationale. I did not purchase the UBP videos but have heard good feedback if you are more of an auditory learner.

(2) red-colored rapid review book - does not provide any substantial content over UBP but the style and succinctness is much more representative of how questions will need to be answered on the real exam.

(3) released ABA SOEs - go through all of them and be disciplined about timing. Identify and close any additional knowledge gaps.

(4) other mock orals - finding the right examiners are key! People who consistently interrupt your train of thought and make you second guess yourself were the most helpful and simulated my real exam the best. UBP and Dr. Ho let you choose your mock examiners so you can tailor around personal weaknesses. Just Oral Boards assigns your mock examiners and many of them are just too easy and do not appropriately simulate the real thing. That said Drs Tran, Busenlehner, Segna, Soliman and Pisklakov were helpful.

(5) record yourself (video/audio) to pick up on things you do that are distracting, display uncertainty or make you appear less like an “expert” i.e. lots of ums and uhs, poor posture, strange tics you might exhibit when thinking or flustered, poor eye contact, weak words or statements like ‘I would consider’ or ‘I might’.

(6) Lange anesthesiology oral board flash cards were helpful in the final stages of prep. Not a must-have but useful for quick review of anesthetic concerns related to critical events and anomalous topics like sarcoidosis, neurofibomatosis, rheumatoid, etc.

Best advise I got : aim to make every half to full sentence that comes out of your mouth count for 1-3 points by giving a direct answer and your rationale (followed in many cases by your strategy to minimize risks)!

So your sentence structure for what will you do questions should generally be “I will do ‘x’ because of ‘y’ but I will mitigate the risks by doing ‘z’.”

What do you think questions should generally start with a differential or working diagnosis in order of priority followed by rationale. “My working diagnosis is ‘a’ because of ‘b’ but it could also be ‘c, d or e’ so I will do ‘f’ to narrow down the etiology.

Many questions are purposely vague forcing you to make assumptions. Do not make assumptions that make your patient more challenging to manage. “Presuming the patient is healthy, I would do ‘x’” or “presuming there are no contraindications, I would do ‘y’”

Remember your only duty is to answer the question they ask and provide rationale. Once you have done that, do not ramble or keep talking to fill space/time. Just stop talking. The examiner will probe you if they did not find your answer adequate or if they need clarification.
Also always make a choice. Do not try to hedge. The examiners are on a standardized script. No matter which plan you choose, they are going to take you down that impossible path you were hoping to avoid with the “perfect” anesthetic you had outlined in your mind. Following the script is the only way the examiners can measure the quality of your answer compared to other examinees. So when your patient becomes apneic and difficult to ventilate/intubate, rest assured that it is not something you did wrong in your management. It is the script!!
Finally, know your critical events, ACLS, PALS and NALS cold. Do not flounder on these questions. And always choose the most conservative decisions even though you have seen it done differently in practice by your seniors and/or peers. We get away with many things in practice but do not take that chance on the exam.

This was the hardest exam of my life but I feel the only reason I passed was because I over-prepared and practiced. I had good habits and formulated responses that took over despite getting flustered and heavily fatigued by the end of the test. Best of luck to anyone that needs it!

Reactions: 2 users
You did both Dr. Ho and just oral boards? Wow you must've been super prepared that's great. I agree with most of what you said however I would just avoid Dr. Ho he's not worth the money and honestly ultimate board prep and just oral boards book are plenty sufficient. There is no need to be subjected to Dr. Ho's antics. Some examiners in his course OK but I don't think any of worth the money. One thing I do not agree upon at all is the whole "presuming/assuming" antics. I think this is why I really really really ruined it for me the first time. If I were to redo this thing ever again I would never use that strategy at all.

I also thought that you needed to be super smooth fast quick and give a slick answer to the questions. However that's not the case at all and you can have a few umms you don't have to be perfect each time.I did less actual practice mocks the second time around first the first. You need to have some practice I agree to get an understanding of how to answer the questions. I think the first time I was burning out my mind trying to also explain why to every single question that they would ask. Why I would do this or why I wouldn't do that, like you had mentioned it's most important to answer the question directly and almost always if they want to know more they will ask you more otherwise they will move on. Your advice of don't start saying things to fill time is absolutely spot on.

Oh if any one question or topic comes up and you really don't know and you and the examiner or doing a little song and dance around the topic just know that they can't spend too much time on any given topic and they will likely move on so don't stress too much about it just keep focusing on the rest of the exam. The examiners have to get through a set amount of questions and overall they will do their best to allocate time appropriately for you.

For the OSCE, I would write down on the paper the required bullet points, and because I would go through the stations I would briefly glance at my paper making sure that I touched on the areas that I needed to. I really thought this helped me keep track during the osci. Given that you don't have a clock and there are no clocks anyhwere sometimes it's hard to have a sense of time and you don't want to be too far behind on the warning bell goes off to touch up on the bullet points that you need to.

I agree with much of what has been said about Dr. Ho’s course. There are so many people taking the course that (statistically speaking) many participants will pass but it is unlikely their success is directly attributed to his course. That said, I still fell victim to thousands of dollars lost to his tactics.
Some takeaways from Dr. Ho resources I wish I knew from the start (if you are in need of more structure)…but purchase a la carte! STAY AWAY from the guaranteed plans:

(1) Critical events boot camp videos are solid.

(2) Cam club videos for passive listening during commutes or downtime. These are divided by topic and less disjointed than some of the other content.

(3) Set A/B/C MOP sessions were worthwhile for practice even though the stems/questions were just meh.

(4) Web mock exams with a very limited number of examiners were helpful (Dr. Arciaga’s style is most similar to some of the more antagonistic ABA examiners but her timing and format didn’t correlate quite as well; Dr. Toledano will get you OB ready; Dr. Andrews gives a ton of feedback and is good for recognizing critical learning gaps; also useful are Drs Geisler, Nguyen and Sebeo.

(5) I purposely did not take any mocks with Dr. Ho even though I paid for them in the plan because I felt he would counterproductively hurt my confidence. Maybe it is just his approach or maybe he is trying to sell his content, but I am glad I did not subject myself to his scrutiny.

Other resources I would recommend:

(1) UBP x 3. 1st pass - just read through the content but do not spend a lot of time on this. 2nd pass - have someone test you out loud and dive deep into identifying and closing your knowledge gaps. 3rd pass - test out loud again but practice choosing the SINGLE best sentence that answers each question and gives appropriate rationale. I did not purchase the UBP videos but have heard good feedback if you are more of an auditory learner.

(2) red-colored rapid review book - does not provide any substantial content over UBP but the style and succinctness is much more representative of how questions will need to be answered on the real exam.

(3) released ABA SOEs - go through all of them and be disciplined about timing. Identify and close any additional knowledge gaps.

(4) other mock orals - finding the right examiners are key! People who consistently interrupt your train of thought and make you second guess yourself were the most helpful and simulated my real exam the best. UBP and Dr. Ho let you choose your mock examiners so you can tailor around personal weaknesses. Just Oral Boards assigns your mock examiners and many of them are just too easy and do not appropriately simulate the real thing. That said Drs Tran, Busenlehner, Segna, Soliman and Pisklakov were helpful.

(5) record yourself (video/audio) to pick up on things you do that are distracting, display uncertainty or make you appear less like an “expert” i.e. lots of ums and uhs, poor posture, strange tics you might exhibit when thinking or flustered, poor eye contact, weak words or statements like ‘I would consider’ or ‘I might’.

(6) Lange anesthesiology oral board flash cards were helpful in the final stages of prep. Not a must-have but useful for quick review of anesthetic concerns related to critical events and anomalous topics like sarcoidosis, neurofibomatosis, rheumatoid, etc.

Best advise I got : aim to make every half to full sentence that comes out of your mouth count for 1-3 points by giving a direct answer and your rationale (followed in many cases by your strategy to minimize risks)!

So your sentence structure for what will you do questions should generally be “I will do ‘x’ because of ‘y’ but I will mitigate the risks by doing ‘z’.”

What do you think questions should generally start with a differential or working diagnosis in order of priority followed by rationale. “My working diagnosis is ‘a’ because of ‘b’ but it could also be ‘c, d or e’ so I will do ‘f’ to narrow down the etiology.

Many questions are purposely vague forcing you to make assumptions. Do not make assumptions that make your patient more challenging to manage. “Presuming the patient is healthy, I would do ‘x’” or “presuming there are no contraindications, I would do ‘y’”

Remember your only duty is to answer the question they ask and provide rationale. Once you have done that, do not ramble or keep talking to fill space/time. Just stop talking. The examiner will probe you if they did not find your answer adequate or if they need clarification.
Also always make a choice. Do not try to hedge. The examiners are on a standardized script. No matter which plan you choose, they are going to take you down that impossible path you were hoping to avoid with the “perfect” anesthetic you had outlined in your mind. Following the script is the only way the examiners can measure the quality of your answer compared to other examinees. So when your patient becomes apneic and difficult to ventilate/intubate, rest assured that it is not something you did wrong in your management. It is the script!!
Finally, know your critical events, ACLS, PALS and NALS cold. Do not flounder on these questions. And always choose the most conservative decisions even though you have seen it done differently in practice by your seniors and/or peers. We get away with many things in practice but do not take that chance on the exam.

This was the hardest exam of my life but I feel the only reason I passed was because I over-prepared and practiced. I had good habits and formulated responses that took over despite getting flustered and heavily fatigued by the end of the test. Best of luck to anyone that needs it!

This dude oral board……

I will also add if any of you who have trouble organizing information like I do. I think the OG of oral boards prep, Niels Jensen’s stuff, helped “me”. (Some people have negative perception of him…)

Rather than Ho’s rambling and with his typical style of “I can answer this question 101 ways…. And every time it will be different…” Jensen’s approach is more regimented. Here’s the script, memorize it. When you’re good with the basics, then you can stylize it.

But different people different strokes.

You did both Dr. Ho and just oral boards? Wow you must've been super prepared that's great. I agree with most of what you said however I would just avoid Dr. Ho he's not worth the money and honestly ultimate board prep and just oral boards book are plenty sufficient. There is no need to be subjected to Dr. Ho's antics. Some examiners in his course OK but I don't think any of worth the money. One thing I do not agree upon at all is the whole "presuming/assuming" antics. I think this is why I really really really ruined it for me the first time. If I were to redo this thing ever again I would never use that strategy at all.

I also thought that you needed to be super smooth fast quick and give a slick answer to the questions. However that's not the case at all and you can have a few umms you don't have to be perfect each time.I did less actual practice mocks the second time around first the first. You need to have some practice I agree to get an understanding of how to answer the questions. I think the first time I was burning out my mind trying to also explain why to every single question that they would ask. Why I would do this or why I wouldn't do that, like you had mentioned it's most important to answer the question directly and almost always if they want to know more they will ask you more otherwise they will move on. Your advice of don't start saying things to fill time is absolutely spot on.

Oh if any one question or topic comes up and you really don't know and you and the examiner or doing a little song and dance around the topic just know that they can't spend too much time on any given topic and they will likely move on so don't stress too much about it just keep focusing on the rest of the exam. The examiners have to get through a set amount of questions and overall they will do their best to allocate time appropriately for you.

For the OSCE, I would write down on the paper the required bullet points, and because I would go through the stations I would briefly glance at my paper making sure that I touched on the areas that I needed to. I really thought this helped me keep track during the osci. Given that you don't have a clock and there are no clocks anyhwere sometimes it's hard to have a sense of time and you don't want to be too far behind on the warning bell goes off to touch up on the bullet points that you need to.
So I’m curious how you approached the intentionally vague and very broad questions like the grab bags without making any assumptions? i.e. A 28 yo primigravida for urgent cesarean is requesting regional…what will you do? (You know no other background info…)

So I’m curious how you approached the intentionally vague and very broad questions like the grab bags without making any assumptions? i.e. A 28 yo primigravida for urgent cesarean is requesting regional…what will you do? (You know no other background info…)
i used a lot more if then statements vs making assumptions, i would clarify the reason for the urgent section. Its maybe semantics but i think it counts much like saying i could is a no go. Thats my two cents.

This dude oral board……

I will also add if any of you who have trouble organizing information like I do. I think the OG of oral boards prep, Niels Jensen’s stuff, helped “me”. (Some people have negative perception of him…)

Rather than Ho’s rambling and with his typical style of “I can answer this question 101 ways…. And every time it will be different…” Jensen’s approach is more regimented. Here’s the script, memorize it. When you’re good with the basics, then you can stylize it.

But different people different strokes.
i couldn't find any of the Jensen stuff, i wanted to take a look at it to see if it was more my style.

when sitting the oral boards, are the stems given on a piece of paper that can be underlined and written on? Will I be able to write and take notes and refer back to the stem?

when sitting the oral boards, are the stems given on a piece of paper that can be underlined and written on? Will I be able to write and take notes and refer back to the stem?

Yes. Although the questions are pretty rapid fire so you won’t be looking down much.

Yes and yes. The page with the prompt is also your note-sheet. I used it to write out my plan, concerns, and differential for all the problems I'd anticipate for the specific case (hypotension, hypertension, tachycardia, etc.).

Anyone need to retake the osce still from last year? Still no movement on the waitlist

TLDR: Wasted so much time and money on all the courses out there. Failed 3 times. Used the free podcast and free eval from Smarter Anesthesia on youtube.com/@smarteranesthesia Dr. T figured out my problem and the rest is history.
Here’s the thing (and I’m not an examiner or anything) but I’ve talked to a lot of people and read a lot of things.

I saw on Reddit recently, the sentiment that this exam is like talking to your colleagues/fellow resident through a case and convincing them you know how to deliver a safe anesthetic. That’s it. There is no secret to it. Remember, the examiners are just normal anesthesiologists (and even if they are not, as far as I was told they are not allowed to give a stem in their speciality so Chestnut can’t give an OB stem, Kaplan can’t give a cardiac one, Hasizic can’t give a regional one).

It’s a timed exam so then when it comes down to it there really is only a handful of reasons you would fail (which all boil down to you couldn’t convince the examiner in time.)
- Talk too slow
- Answers too short, have to drag reasoning out of you
- Too rigid/unable to consider alternatives
- Too indecisive
- (Rarely) Poor fund of knowledge
The key is being able to recognize what is going to be your hurdle, and what the hurdle is in others. I tell people, when they watch other people do a mock oral, it more important to recognize what they did poorly (so you can avoid the same mistake) than what they did well. Like anything, you don’t start off perfect and avoid mistakes, you become perfect by recognizing mistakes and avoiding them.

Last edited:
Hey everyone,

I'm a long time reader, first time poster and really anti social media, but I promised myself to help others if I ever pass this crazy hard test and I passed!

I can't believe no one has posted about this yet and I feel like I'm about to expose some "top secret" info about the oral boards, but I feel obligated because I feel bad for so many people who struggled like me. p.s. You don't need to suffer. Honestly, most of the posts on here are solid, but I was always missing something (and it kept getting worse paying for these prep courses). I didn't really understand what people were trying to say because I couldn't understand the problem or what this exam wanted.

Quick background. I failed 3 times. Paid $10k+ using all of the major courses out there. I paid for the mock oral exams, the packages and the crash courses and it DIDN"T WORK! I felt stupid and had PTSD about this exam. I got nervous and couldn't sleep at night. It started to bleed into my personal life. I lost my confidence. I thought I did everything - I talked to everyone. I had no problems with residency or any other board exam except for this stupid exam.

The Secret. There's an underground community of students (most who failed and a few who are taking it for the first time) who use this company called Smarter Anesthesia (I think it might be just one guy named Dr. T). As far as I know, it's been a referral based service. Someone knows someone and it gets passed along. I got lucky and found someone who failed twice who told me. I decided to check it out. It was free and I had tried everything else already.

He's been doing it for over a decade and it was life changing when I did my free eval. Within 10 minutes, he was able to figure out what I've been doing wrong all this time. FINALLY, someone could see the missing pieces I had. I felt so stupid paying for all these mock oral exams and no one got close to my problem. I was seeing it all wrong. I was studying for it like the other board exams.

I found out later that most mock oral examiners don't have teaching experience. They are like you and me and get paid to ask questions. That's why they couldn't help me because they don't really know what they're doing. The only prerequisite they had was that they passed the test and now all of a sudden they are the "expert" examiner. I feel so duped and scammed. I paid all this money to have random people ask me questions. The worst part is that their advice steered me in the WRONG direction. That's why I couldn't get better.

I'm so grateful for Dr. T. He's pretty busy, but I was able to work around his availabilities. He told me he started to release his podcast on youtube.com/@smarteranesthesia so you don't have to pay for anything! A portion of his book up there too.

So that's the secret. It took me a few weeks to get my head on the right track because I was so messed up from the other courses. I worked with some students who were taking it for the first time. I can't believe how fast they were picking it up. It just makes so much sense that if you do it the right way the first time, you can do it so much faster. I was happy for them (and a little jealous), seeing them master it. I wish someone had told me about Smarter Anesthesia sooner.

I hope I did some good today. I'll keep trying to post and let other people know. You have nothing to lose. Their main content is on Youtube. Their eval is free. They don't try to upsell you anything. I needed the one-on-one coaching so the few times I met with him was super worth it. I needed someone to double check me, to make sure I'm studying the right way. I kept falling back into my old habits because I was so used to doing it wrong and he helped me see what was wrong.

If you have any questions, feel free to DM me.
Good luck on your studies

TLDR: Wasted so much time and money on all the courses out there. Failed 3 times. Used the free podcast and free eval from Smarter Anesthesia on youtube.com/@smarteranesthesia Dr. T figured out my problem and the rest is history.

First YouTube videos posted 4 months ago.

Thanks Dr. T! 😂

Last edited: