Optometrist Career

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wollas

Reaction score
I want to become an optometrist but I don't know how much math and physics are required for this career.I am very good at math(both algebra and trigonometry) and I want to succed in this career.Is it hard?Is the physics more harder than the math?I looked in google for that but it only said about some subjects in electro-optics,IT(I'm not sure if I will ever use this but since that is what it says in my college I guess that I will use it in the future) and anatomics.
Is there anyone in here who was an optometrist?How is this career?Do you really work with lasers?
I want to know more information about this career.
Is JasonK or anyone still available to answer my questions?I'm really hoping for that.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Actual clinical application of math is 4th grade arithmetic. There are no physics involved at the clinical practice level, but of course it is helpful to understand what is going on, otherwise you might just as well believe saying #1 or #2 appeases an invisible space flea that grants lenses the capability to focus light into clear vision. Newtonian Physics and quantitative reasoning are only needed to pass the OAT. Geometric optics is nice to learn and is a staple on the Boards exam, but again has very little clinical relevance. All the math I do in my office is 4th grade arithmetic I can calculate in my head in seconds.
2. I never heard of electro-optics and anatomics.
3. I love my job because my employer (a hospital) gives me extremely high pay and top working conditions (because we're union). I've hated my job previously when I worked with scum bag corporations scamming scum bag clientele (meth heads), and saw 50% more patients for 50% less pay. Even though I did the exact same exam structure (not to be confused with # of exams), the levels of compensation, stress, and satisfaction greatly differed. Optometry is a saturated market, and if you expect to work for someone else, and that may not always be a great relationship. I'm only a few years out, and more than half my class has ownership of their own practice. I personally don't have the drive nor grit to run my own practice's business and growth, and taxes/accounting. If I had to do things over again, I would very likely not have ended up at my current job which I'm so blessed to have received, and I would probably survive and earn enough, but I wouldn't think of it as more than a paycheck. My other friends in an associate position or as corporate employee are already burnt out, and definitely don't show the same passion I still hold, and I don't blame them.
4.I don't work with lasers directly (I refer to those who can); usage of lasers are only in the scope of practice in some states. Who knows how legislation and scope of practice will change

tl;dr: application of math on the job is 0/10 challenge. Application of math to get into a school and get licensed: 3/10. I love this job, but if I had to do it again, I very likely would not receive the same level of success and satisfaction as I currently have - I got lucky.

If you read in my other post, I did 8 years of expensive higher education and my first job paid 97k (in late 2014), and my brother did community college and night school and earns 105k (in 2017) as a paper pusher for the government. That 97k job still exists 2 blocks away from my hospital, and truth be told, that job pays pretty much on the average what corporations pay in my state. And I had to negotiate for 97k because their initial offer was 94k, and they refused to go any higher.

Sad state of affairs. I'm so glad things worked out the way they did for me because the real world market is tough in optometry

You mean you don't use limits,derivatives,integrals at all in this job?I thought that this is what you learn in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd appreciate an answer and not getting 109 views.Are you sleeping?

Don't you know anything about any calculus related course in optometry?Is it required?I'm asking this for a few hours and I can see that no one is replying to me.Why?Have I done something wrong?

Ok,I will wait until someone replies...I'm sorry for disturbing the admin and the moderators from here.

You mean you don't use limits,derivatives,integrals at all in this job?I thought that this is what you learn in college.

Is the math calculus?

I'd appreciate an answer and not getting 109 views.Are you sleeping?

Don't you know anything about any calculus related course in optometry?Is it required?I'm asking this for a few hours and I can see that no one is replying to me.Why?Have I done something wrong?

Why am I being ignored?

Ok,I will wait until someone replies...I'm sorry for disturbing the admin and the moderators from here.

Jesus Christ dude.

Not everyone is awake at 4am to answer your neurotic questions.

Google university course requirements for Optometry School.

Google Course Curriculum of Optometry programs you like.
They list all the courses you will take.

You are going to need a lot of maturing before you apply.

Is JasonK or anyone still available to answer my questions?I'm really hoping for that.

You're hoping for JasonK to answer your questions? The fact that you know his name means you know his opinion about Optometry, and also means you've read old SDN posts.

You are really good at math but you're worried there might be math involved? This whole thread smells weird.

You will use a tiny fraction of the math and physics required to get an Optometry degree. You will likely not use any lasers, and there is a search function for general inquiries like "how is this profession?" Although I'm quite sure you've already looked into it.

Reactions: 1 user
When I meant math I mean higher math like Calculus 1 or Calculus 2.I'm not so great at calculus and I only know limits and derivatives.I just hoped that the math is not the same with the engineering.

Last edited:
I want to become an optometrist but I don't know how much math and physics are required for this career.I am very good at math(both algebra and trigonometry) and I want to succed in this career.Is it hard?Is the physics more harder than the math?I looked in google for that but it only said about some subjects in electro-optics,IT(I'm not sure if I will ever use this but since that is what it says in my college I guess that I will use it in the future) and anatomics.
Is there anyone in here who was an optometrist?How is this career?Do you really work with lasers?
I want to know more information about this career.

I work regularly with practicing optometrists and when I jokingly show them my QR material for the OAT or calculus homework they chuckle and usually say, "I am so glad I don't have to deal with that stuff anymore." As it was mentioned in earlier replies, understanding physics on the optics side of the subject is important to know, but in everyday clinical application you will not be using it all. Taking calculus, physic, and all the other prerequisite courses are required for admission into optometry school so that they know you are able to handle "difficult" course loads and it gives them a measure on how successful you would be in a professional level graduate program.