Career Change into Optometry Acceptance Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S6M7H5

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Y'all, so I'll try to keep this concise and short to make it easier to understand. I always knew I wanted to go into Optometry ever since I was little. In high school I got close to 50 hours of shadowing in Optometry and loved every second. At college I did 1.5 years of Pre-Opto prereqs such as Bio 1 & Bio 2, Chem 1, MicroBio, and Stats (Got B's in all of them (I usually did bad on finals which brought me down from an A to a B)). Before I was able to finish my parents forced me to change my major to Engineering (Paying for everything at the time so I guess they thought they should be able to pick what I study) and I am close to graduating now with an Engineering degree but having some experience I know this is not my future path. I am right around a 3.25 overall gpa but I believe my science gpa is low because of all the advanced math and physics classes (prob around 2.6ish if I had to guess). My engineering major is Cybersecurity which is very similar to Computer Science. I know I will still have to take the remaining classes Chem 2, O chem 1&2, & Biochem as well as the OAT which I hope to get at least a 350 on. I do plan on applying to every school if that's what's needed for me to get accepted. I am in my mid-twenties if anyone is wondering.
  1. What are my chances of getting accepted? will my different background help me at all?
  2. Will my old pre-req credits still count? I think it's been a little over 5-6 years for some.

Members don't see this ad.

Unless you're literally dying to do optometry, I wouldn't switch. I would do anything to go back in time and major in CS/do a CS bootcamp. While I think optometry is awesome and a fulfilling career, the pros - to me - are nowhere close to outweighing the cons. With CS you're talking about a much much better quality of life at all stages of your career, less workload, more flexibility, etc. I could go on and on

Unless you're literally dying to do optometry, I wouldn't switch. I would do anything to go back in time and major in CS/do a CS bootcamp. While I think optometry is awesome and a fulfilling career, the pros - to me - are nowhere close to outweighing the cons. With CS you're talking about a much much better quality of life at all stages of your career, less workload, more flexibility, etc. I could go on and on
Understandable, I was planning on doing a master's in CS and then a PhD in either Information tech or Artificial intelligence if optometry school didnt work out. But I've met many people in CS and even though they are making 200k+ they keep saying the stress is too much or the job is just staring at a computer screen for hours daily. I don't know if that's 100% true but it sounds like a miserable time. i know not everyone is like that so I'm trying to find people who genuinely enjoy their job and ask what it's like. Most the people i do ask however are above there 40s which could be why they are so negative. thanks for your input though its much appreciated!!!

The different background may help. It would help you to reach out to admissions officers at a few of the schools with your questions on the age of your prereq coursework and whether you need to retake them. But I agree, if you aren't passionate about optometry, get the CS stuff done with first. At least bank some money so you can spend it if you wind up going to optometry school.