options other than private practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MTD52

Class of 2014
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there a lot of job options if you don't open your own practice in optometry? How do the salary and hours compare?

Members don't see this ad.

Are there a lot of job options if you don't open your own practice in optometry? How do the salary and hours compare?

from reading your other posts i think you really should go talk to health professionals in the fields your asking about

Isn't that what this forum is for, health professionals to answer?

I mean I just did some searches and I couldn't find virtually any full time positions in my area for Optometry. I don't want to commit to another 5 years of schooling/residency and then find out that I can't get a job when I'm out. I would probably want my own practice in time, but not immediately

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Isn't that what this forum is for, health professionals to answer?

I mean I just did some searches and I couldn't find virtually any full time positions in my area for Optometry. I don't want to commit to another 5 years of schooling/residency and then find out that I can't get a job when I'm out. I would probably want my own practice in time, but not immediately

Are you living in a suburban area in a large city?

You can go work for ECCA or luxottica as well as if you can land a job a job at an ophthalmologist's office.

I think getting a retail job might be easier than an office one though it also depends upon the state you live in.

Yeah I'm in a suburban area

If you're in the US then you have your answer. There is an oversupply, depending on where you are. For example, finding a job in private practice in suburban California or Illinois is not very likely.

As an optometrist, you are required to go to where the demand is (This should be in your personal statements). That means you might have to leave state or search in lower populated areas.

If you're in the US then you have your answer. There is an oversupply, depending on where you are. For example, finding a job in private practice in suburban California or Illinois is not very likely.

As an optometrist, you are required to go to where the demand is (This should be in your personal statements). That means you might have to leave state or search in lower populated areas.

Well there's no way I'm leaving the state, unless it's to New York, but I still wouldn't live there, just work there. I live in New Jersey. Presumably not a good place to be for upcoming Optometrists? or is it?

A lot of baby boomers are reaching retirement age, so although there are a lot of optometrists flooding the marking, I would expect to see a wave of baby-boomer-optometrists retiring and selling their practice in the next few years.

Also don't forget about V.A. clinics. If you check their website, they normally always have a half-dozen or so positions needing filled around the States.

A lot of baby boomers are reaching retirement age, so although there are a lot of optometrists flooding the marking, I would expect to see a wave of baby-boomer-optometrists retiring and selling their practice in the next few years.

Also don't forget about V.A. clinics. If you check their website, they normally always have a half-dozen or so positions needing filled around the States.

That's good news for me. However, I don't think I would want to jump right into my own practice because I can't foresee having the financial stability to do so, especially the way things are going now. I won't be done with school for another 5 years anyway, so my own practice would be looking toward the 10 years from now mark.