Any other HPSP applicants out there?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

evan1g

Reaction score
Currently waiting to hear back from the Navy later this month, but I am curious if any other optometry students applied for this scholarship? Or if there are any current students who have been accepted? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My boss was a naval optometrist, do you know how many spots they had and how many applied?

Hey there! Looking at the Air Force. They sent me a packet but then told me I needed to finish my first semester of Optometry school to proceed to the next step. I also looked into the Army. I have had 0 luck with their communication. I even emailed an old contact who was in their medical recruiting battalion and he sent my info back out, but still no luck. I also tried calling around and still no luck with the army.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey there! Looking at the Air Force. They sent me a packet but then told me I needed to finish my first semester of Optometry school to proceed to the next step. I also looked into the Army. I have had 0 luck with their communication. I even emailed an old contact who was in their medical recruiting battalion and he sent my info back out, but still no luck. I also tried calling around and still no luck with the army.
Hmmm - for the navy I was allowed to apply before I matriculated. Also, I know another dental student who hasn’t started dental school and they got the air force HPSP. not sure if optometry is different though.

Hmmm - for the navy I was allowed to apply before I matriculated. Also, I know another dental student who hasn’t started dental school and they got the air force HPSP. not sure if optometry is different though.
Seems like it! I'm at least in their system since I turned in the packet! Two of the doctors I work with are former HPSP awardees. One of our doctors had the Army HPSP and he only got 3 years, while the other was Air Force and he ended up getting all 4 years covered. I don't know if being a prior service member affected the award. Our Army doctor did switch branches from Air Force to Army while the Air Force doctor was always with the Air Force.

I applied for the Navy HPSP for optometry! Did you hear back from the board yet?

I’m sorry if I sound like a complete noob, but can you apply for the HPSP program while in optometry school?

...or does it have to be prior to school?

I’m sorry if I sound like a complete noob, but can you apply for the HPSP program while in optometry school?

...or does it have to be prior to school?
I think so! Get in touch with a medical recruiter in your state to get things rolling!

I think so! Get in touch with a medical recruiter in your state to get things rolling!
Oh! Okay!

I have been accepted into a school already - one of the newer ones. I'm just waiting to see if I can get into a higher-ranked institution - currently WL'ed at one.

I submitted my packet for the Navy 4 year in January and I am still waiting to hear back! Where are the rest of you going to optometry school? You mind sharing what stats you applied with?

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I have to say the medical recruiters are not very responsive or good at communicating! I am in my first year at UCB and have very good stats. I have applied for the HPSP-Air Force, submitted everything they have asked for and now they are not replying with only two weeks till the next deadline of April 15. I'm kind of giving up hopes for this avenue. I guess we will see though. Good luck to all of you on your applications!

I recently applied for the 3 year HPSP with the Air Force since I am in my first year of optometry school now. Does anyone know when the results for the March board are supposed to be released?

Just got my call of acceptance for the Navy 4-year! Best of luck to everyone else.

Just got my call of acceptance for the Navy 4-year! Best of luck to everyone else.
Congrats! I got listed as an alternative so if anyone doesn’t want it then there is a possibility I can get it. 😞 Kinda bummed, but everything happens for a reason, maybe wasn’t meant to be.

Congrats! I got listed as an alternative so if anyone doesn’t want it then there is a possibility I can get it. 😞 Kinda bummed, but everything happens for a reason, maybe wasn’t meant to be.
I wouldn't give up on it man. I hear that if you reapply with good standing it's nearly a shoe-in for the 3-year and you can apply to all three (Navy, Air Force, Army) programs. Never know, someone could forfeit their offer too.

I didn’t get it either. My recruiter told me they only awarded one scholarship this year for Navy

Hey! Omg I’m also interested in applying for this scholarship through the Air Force, and have never come across anyone else who shared this interest!

Hey I also talked to an Air Force recruiter and they told me the same thing about needing to finish the first semester of opt school!

I just declined an HPSP Navy offer for 3 years, so hopefully one of you is next up! Best of luck.