Options after going unmatched

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anothermedstudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a US grad, passed step 1 (average) and step 2 ck (above average) on first attempts, considering scores for pediatrics. I applied to almost 100 programs for this match, but received only 6 interview invites, recently found out that i failed my step 2 cs. I have registered to retake it, but I have accepted that my chances of matching this year is really low, and am planning to reapply next year, assuming that I will not be able to get any prelims or anything through SOAP as well.

Was just wondering if anyone had any input as to what are my best options to spend my time between graduating and applying to 2016 match? In terms of strengthening my application for pediatrics. I have thought of research, masters etc, but these would bring me away from clinical experience and I was told this was not advisable.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a US grad, passed step 1 (average) and step 2 ck (above average) on first attempts, considering scores for pediatrics. I applied to almost 100 programs for this match, but received only 6 interview invites, recently found out that i failed my step 2 cs. I have registered to retake it, but I have accepted that my chances of matching this year is really low, and am planning to reapply next year, assuming that I will not be able to get any prelims or anything through SOAP as well.

Was just wondering if anyone had any input as to what are my best options to spend my time between graduating and applying to 2016 match? In terms of strengthening my application for pediatrics. I have thought of research, masters etc, but these would bring me away from clinical experience and I was told this was not advisable.

Are there any red flags in your application? I find it hard to believe that a U.S. grad with solid board scores would need to apply to 100 programs (and then only get 6 interviews out of that huge list of applications). There's obviously something else major that's holding you back, and it's not CS since you just found out that you failed that. So it's hard to advise you on how to strengthen your application (other than retaking and passing CS ASAP) without knowing what was making your application weak in the first place. Did you repeat a year of med school? Were there professionalism issues/disciplinary action? Something else?

Agreed that if you don't match, you need to find something clinical to do (such as a prelim, or research that is very clinical in nature). Or can you extend school and keep doing rotations, so that you're not considered a graduate when reapplying next year? But don't necessarily give up on this cycle yet. Retake CS as soon as you can, and stay in touch with the programs you interviewed with to reiterate why you think you'd be a good fit for them (but don't go overboard - 1-2 emails between now and rank list certification would be plenty).

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any red flags in your application? I find it hard to believe that a U.S. grad with solid board scores would need to apply to 100 programs (and then only get 6 interviews out of that huge list of applications). There's obviously something else major that's holding you back, and it's not CS since you just found out that you failed that. So it's hard to advise you on how to strengthen your application (other than retaking and passing CS ASAP) without knowing what was making your application weak in the first place. Did you repeat a year of med school? Were there professionalism issues/disciplinary action? Something else?

Agreed that if you don't match, you need to find something clinical to do (such as a prelim, or research that is very clinical in nature). Or can you extend school and keep doing rotations, so that you're not considered a graduate when reapplying next year? But don't necessarily give up on this cycle yet. Retake CS as soon as you can, and stay in touch with the programs you interviewed with to reiterate why you think you'd be a good fit for them (but don't go overboard - 1-2 emails between now and rank list certification would be plenty).

Hi thanks for your reply. Possible things I can think of holding me back would be requiring a visa since I am not a US citizen, also I feel that my dean's letter wasn't strong, I did have an evaluation in the beginning of clerkship that noted concern from an attending regarding communication skills, but my evaluations improved through the year. I never repeated or failed any rotations or shelf exams. I have already registered and scheduled CS, but the earliest I can get my scores back would be early March, by which I would expect programs' rank lists to be submitted. I am concerned that this would affect my ranking by programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Requiring a visa is a limiting factor for many programs that are unfamiliar with the process and feel that the extra paperwork is not worth the hassle considering the increased number of applications last year (and presumably this year).

I worry that your letters if recommendation may be poor. Can you put more effort into improving your communication skills? If English is your second language, maybe hire a tutor to help you make your accent easy to understand. Volunteer with child life or something like that to spend time around kids and their parents. Find a clinic that is willing to have you shadow and maybe see patients for a longer time in the next year and get a letter from the doc there at the end.