Practice options after pediatrics residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Staphylococcus Aureus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to find out what practice options are available after a 3 year residency without having to do a fellowship.

Hospitalist (future uncertain without fellowship?)
Newborn nursery hospitalist
Urgent care
Emergency (still possible without fellowship?)
Generalist for niche populations (adolescents, developmental disability?)

Anything I am missing and how plentiful are non-ambulatory positions? Is general pediatrics residency becoming a route for outpatient clinic only?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m trying to find out what practice options are available after a 3 year residency without having to do a fellowship.

Hospitalist (future uncertain without fellowship?)
Newborn nursery hospitalist
Urgent care
Emergency (still possible without fellowship?)
Generalist for niche populations (adolescents, developmental disability?)

Anything I am missing and how plentiful are non-ambulatory positions? Is general pediatrics residency becoming a route for outpatient clinic only?
The most common positions, that aren't ambulatory, I see are for subspeciality hospitalists (PICU, NICU) and urgent care. I have no idea what the compensation is and speaking to the subspeciality hospitalists, from my limited observations, they seem to be glorified resident positions, but maybe someone on here could speak to that more authoritatively.

Reactions: 1 user
The most common positions, that aren't ambulatory, I see are for subspeciality hospitalists (PICU, NICU) and urgent care. I have no idea what the compensation is and speaking to the subspeciality hospitalists, from my limited observations, they seem to be glorified resident positions, but maybe someone on here could speak to that more authoritatively.

There are a handful of subspecialty hospitalist positions out there. My friend did an oncology hospitalist position for a year while figuring out fellowship stuffs. They are basically glorified residents, at large centers that have multiple inpatient teams. The NICU/PICU hospitalist positions seem to be caring for the “step down” patients in centers where there aren’t residents.

I do know some attendings who did “pretending” positions in oncology, GI, etc, where they saw the same sorts of patients seen by NPs regularly (not something that necessarily requires a fellowship to manage). I’m not sure how common those positions are, though.

Reactions: 1 user

What about just regular hospitalists rather than subspecialty hospitalists. I would think that would be a more common position that isn't ambulatory

What about just regular hospitalists rather than subspecialty hospitalists. I would think that would be a more common position that isn't ambulatory
This has been discussed in other threads. The general hospitalist has an unclear course starting with this years graduating resident class. If you want more info, I suggest the search function in this forum or a google search.

Reactions: 1 users
You're missing regular ol' pediatrician.

My favorite one! Everytime I bring my son to our 60+ years old, hunchback, army veteran pediatrician, I admire to his experience and compassion to kids :love: