optimal tip to tip efficiency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

end stage fibro

hippocrates. hadza. fy_iceworld
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i started a side gig that isn't too bad overall but the billing and documentation is killing me. the problem is the emr is a dumpster fire (pointclickcare) and the billing software sucks. I have given up on improving my billing efficiency. things i have done so far with documentation:

-use autohotkey for ersatz smart phrases
-dictate what i can
-general principles are on lockdown from my years as hospitalist: making notes lean as possible/copypastable as possible (this works because the pts are not nearly as dynamic as in the hospital). minimize time clicking all over the chart and retracing my steps in the EMR

things im wondering about
-hiring a tele scribe or even virtual personal assistant, would need to be less than 50/hr to make sense in my head. anyone do this? or even an AI scribe? not sure about HIPAA implications
-while at the facility, walking around dictating using hipaa compliant google docs and copy pasting that into the actual notes at home.
making a python script to help document. i know a little python but would need to beef up my skills. Idk what the implementation would even look like

nonstarters include bringing a computer into the room. I want to spend as little time as possible in the room or the facility doing clerical work.

crazy thoughts:
dictating while driving has crossed my mind. the commute is not negligible
uber and deduct it as a business expense somehow...cost probably too high still. I think even if ubering, that is still a commute so probably not able to be written off.
don't want a med student to shadow me. i enjoy teaching but this would be a waste of their time

So far i spend about 1.5 hrs extra every day on billing and notes. <1 hr would be great. Being done at the point of contact would be amazing. if you are thinking this sounds more like a 2nd job than a side gig...well yeah probably.

Members don't see this ad.

Having dealt with several **** EMRs in my day (Intergy and Centricity being some of the worst, with CPRS also being a strong contender), here’s some of my strategies:

- If your EMR can’t template well, make a Word doc and cut/paste a lot of prefabricated phrases into it

- What are you using to dictate? If it’s Dragon, then you can use a lot of its features to automate things.

- AI scribe can be a good idea, as can some of the remote scribing services, but the hospital would need to be on board with this.

- Walking through a hospital dictating would seem to be laden with HIPAA issues

- I have heard of some people dictating while driving…I haven’t tried this but I guess it would be possible if you have a decent phone mic to work with

- Bringing the computer into the room (and typing while pt talks) has been one of the best things for me as an outpatient rheumatologist

- I have heard of outpatient docs dictating notes in the exam room in front of patients-I always thought this sounded weird but some docs seem to like it

Last edited: