opt out of circumcision?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

flamingo

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of residents opting out of doing circs b/c they object to them? I am opposed to circumcisions in general and would prefer not to do any myself but don't know how this would be viewed by a PD (at a program where obgyn R1s and R2s do all the circs).

Members don't see this ad.

Its not part of the required ACOG training. So I suspect it would be fine. Once you get accepted you can let them know your objections. You may need to compensate the other residents ie I'll not do circumcisions but instead will see more antepartum/postpartums on the day you have to do the procedure

Thanks! I'm actually already in and about to start... I don't want to do circs, but I'm worried about being labelled as weird and can't decide if/how I would say anything about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
A couple of points:

1. You will not be considered "weird" for following your beliefs. Folks that would make comments about your decision not to perform circumcisions would only show how shallow themselves are.

2. Even though you don't believe in the procedure, I would still highly recommend watching a few as you may ultimately end up in a situation where that knowledge might become necessary. For example, I don't perform circumcisions since its not within the scope of my practice (MFM), but I do supervise residents on L&D and have on occasion been called for a complication (bleeding) and it does help to know 1) how its done and 2) how to manage complications. Not to draw a literal comparison, but for example if you were to not perform abortions, it would be wise to at least know the associated complications and how to manage them.

Congrats on starting residency. Best of luck!

don't have anything new to add except to say i am so not looking forward to circs either! don't feel as strongly as you do, still plan on doing them, but dreading the idea of cutting little baby peens.
who made this an ob/gyn's job anyways???