Opportunity for MS4s to Learn More about Radiation Oncology Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claduva94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to post this opportunity with our Radiation Oncology residency program at City of Hope in Duarte, CA. I'm a current resident in the program. Happy to answer any questions about this, our program, or radiation oncology in general.

Medical Student Virtual Presentation Memo-1.png

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Sorry but is this a joke? A presentation and an interview with the residents before the actual interview? Stay away from rad onc, friends.

• Haha
Reactions: 14 users
Sorry but is this a joke? A presentation and an interview with the residents before the actual interview? Stay away from rad onc, friends.
No, this is with faculty as well. This is the best we are able to do as audition rotations are not currently possible due to COVID. I understand the apprehension some people have about the job market, but our program has not had issues. 4 of our last 8 grads are practicing in SoCal, 2 are doing academics, 1 moved to be closer to family, and one is doing Peds/Protons. Rad onc is still a very good specialty to be in.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't get it. Why is everyone upset at the OP?

OP, does your program have virtual opportunities to speak with faculty and current residents for non-MS4s that also don't require a presentation? I'm interested in learning more about rad oncs because I've never heard anything about it.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't get it. Why is everyone upset at the OP?

OP, does your program have virtual opportunities to speak with faculty and current residents for non-MS4s that also don't require a presentation? I'm interested in learning more about rad oncs because I've never heard anything about it.

Take a trip to the SDN Rad Onc board and you’ll hear more than some would ever wanna hear about it

Reactions: 4 users
Take a trip to the SDN Rad Onc board and you’ll hear more than some would ever wanna hear about it

Yep, they say rad onc is the new path. What a sad story.

Reactions: 3 users
No, this is with faculty as well. This is the best we are able to do as audition rotations are not currently possible due to COVID. I understand the apprehension some people have about the job market, but our program has not had issues. 4 of our last 8 grads are practicing in SoCal, 2 are doing academics, 1 moved to be closer to family, and one is doing Peds/Protons. Rad onc is still a very good specialty to be in.

You're missing the point. Call it what it is, this isn't a chance "learn more about radiation oncology residency" this is an opportunity to "interview" with your program before the interview even starts. It doesn't matter if the prospective applicant is meeting with the residents or attendings...

Reactions: 3 users
Holy crap that forum is pharmacy levels of depressing. A full thread on job openings in medicine??

Let me just check off rad onc on my list of specialties that I'll never be interested in.

Socal is notoriously difficult to get a good job in rad onc, yes it is possible they are being exploited somewhere and it would still look like they were employed.

RO has serious job market issues, mainly in terms of geographic determinability. There are still decent jobs which pay well in the middle of nowhere

Yep, they say rad onc is the new path. What a sad story.
It is, unfortunately. The academic leadership squandered a great opportunity and created too many slots. Those of us mid career in rad onc love our jobs but would never encourage medical students to go into it without a fair understanding of the issues.

Now we are cycling back into a job market with factors that may make it even worse than the mid 90s

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
1598806301076.png

This is a decent reason to try and do Rad Onc.

# are mean, std dev, 10, 25, median, 75, 90 percent mgma

View attachment 317302

Kinda like the stock market.... past performance is not a guarantee of future outcomes. Salaries used to be higher 5-10 years ago, and for many, geography matters more

Kinda like the stock market.... past performance is not a guarantee of future outcomes. Salaries used to be higher 5-10 years ago, and for many, geography matters more

Well yes, what you say isn't wrong. just saying, even with all the doom and gloom presented in Rad onc forums over the past several years, they're still doing well for themselves. Maybe it's a conspiracy; they're trying to make it doom and gloom on purpose so less people apply...

Well yes, what you say isn't wrong. just saying, even with all the doom and gloom presented in Rad onc forums over the past several years, they're still doing well for themselves. Maybe it's a conspiracy; they're trying to make it doom and gloom on purpose so less people apply...

If you're already established, which they are, it's not as bad. If you just matched, get ready for a heckuva ride. Most fresh rad onc grads (outside of the top programs) are feeling the squeeze.

More applicants is better for me... Can hire cheaper labor and never partner them in

I'm simply stating what could happen and has happened before

People will be doing multiple slave labor superfellowships until attendings retire, which will be never because attendings can practice until 80+ and salaries are going down

Last edited:
People will be doing multiple slave labor superfellowships until attendings retire, which'll be never because attendings can practice until 80+ and salaries are going down
Already happening and none of the radiation fellowships are acgme accredited.

Explosion of bogus fellowships the last several years

View attachment 317302

In light of your recent posts, have you ever considered pursuing a specialty that you, you know, actually like the subject matter of? Your recent posts are all about money and how you can take the most vacation. You are in for a terrible, terrible time if that's all you focus on. Did someone just send you the MGMA data or something lol?