All Branch Topic (ABT) Opportunities in Aerospace Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

USAF Flight Doc

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you are fascinated by the worlds of space, aviation, diving, or the wilderness, aerospace medicine or some of the other disciplines within 'occupational medicine' may be for you. The basic principle within these fields is treating a normal, healthy patient in an abnormal environment, rather than almost all other fields of medicine in which healing an abnormal patient in a normal environment is the goal.

All 3 branches of the DoD offer aviation medicine, though the Army's is not nearly as robust as the USAF and USN versions of aerospace medicine. The Navy also offers opportunities in Dive Medicine. Space Medicine (aka Extreme Environments Medicine) opportunities can be found within NASA and the growing private sector.

I'm a doctor and flight surgeon in the USAF. I've practiced medicine in almost 10 separate countries over the 3 years I've been doing the job. I fly in an F-16 at least monthly. I love my job. I plan to return to Emergency Medicine GME after my current tour in Europe and then eventually do Wilderness Medicine (plan to focus on mountain medicine). The big thing to consider is THAT THERE ARE REALLY COOL OPPORTUNITIES IN MEDICINE THAT YOU WILL NEVER EVER HEAR ABOUT IN MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Here is a website I have created promoting the academic discipline: www.goflightmedicine.com

If you have specific questions about flight medicine in the USAF, send me an email at the 'contact us' on my above website or you can also post the question on the forum I just added to my site: http://goflightmedicine.com/forums/

Either way, good luck with your decision!

Members don't see this ad.

The basic principle within these fields is treating a normal, healthy patient in an abnormal environment,
Welcome to the Lion's den. Let me ask you a question: Why on earth would you go to medical school--arguably the hardest educational endeavor--and then pursue further medical training, only to take care of 'normal' patients? An astute IDC, medic, or mid-level provider could do a flight surgeon's job. I'd like to think that most of us become physicians so that we can take care of the 'abnormal', or real sick patients that require serious medical/surgical intervention.

I fly in an F-16 at least monthly.
. That's great. But guess what? You're not an F-16 pilot, and you're not a line officer. So stop masquerading as one. You're a physician, so act like one. The military will hold you in higher regard if you act like a doctor; and most line officers will actually respect you more, in that capacity. They don't care about your ability to pilot a jet, not your job. They do care about your ability to protocol a stat MRI at 3AM.

Here's a crazy piece of advice to all you pre-meds out there, who think you're going to go into military medicine and become some badass pilot or infantry-man while practicing medicine: First, it's not going to happen. Second, if you want to be an F-16 pilot/infantryman/SEAL/shipdriver, go to OCS and become a line officer instead of going to medical school. Once you've gotten your warfighting spirit out of your system, you can then go to medical school and concentrate on being a good physician, taking care of sick 'abnormal' patients: that's your job as an MD, make no mistake about it.

I plan to return to Emergency Medicine GME
. Now that's more like it, that's what you should be doing as a medical officer (I'd keep the 'wilderness medicine' shpeel on the down-low . . . the trauma guys will make fun of you to no end if you bring that to light).

Welcome to the Lion's den. Let me ask you a question: Why on earth would you go to medical school--arguably the hardest educational endeavor--and then pursue further medical training, only to take care of 'normal' patients? An astute IDC, medic, or mid-level provider could do a flight surgeon's job. I'd like to think that most of us become physicians so that we can take care of the 'abnormal', or real sick patients that require serious medical/surgical intervention.

You really, really, REALLY like paperwork and meetings?

Members don't see this ad :)
That is one lol worthy website. The About Us would be perfect if this was a satire. Did you really write about yourself in the third person and then transition to the "royal we"? So perfect.

Let me try...Dr. G is proud to have completed a residency and fellowship and be board certified in two clinical specialties. He thinks that GMOs, regardless of the flavor, are a danger to patients who deserve better. He thinks that GMOs who view their job as "taking care of the healthy" are the most dangerous subtype because that assumption cripples their ability to generate any sort of meaningful differential (if they would have been capable to begin with). He knows that this sometimes false assumption has killed patients due to delayed diagnosis.

Thanks. That was fun.

Why on earth would you go to medical school--arguably the hardest educational endeavor--and then pursue further medical training, only to take care of 'normal' patients? I'd like to think that most of us become physicians so that we can take care of the 'abnormal', or real sick patients that require serious medical/surgical intervention.

Dr Metal has provided very little useful information in his reply, but there are a few issues he raises that do merit response. The environments experienced by aviators, divers, mountaineers, and astronauts are absolutely fascinating. Hypoxia, Hypobaric or Hyperbaric conditions, temperature extremes, laser exposures, vibrational or acoustic distraction. Understanding the way the human body responds to these environments and providing medical guidance and treatment to the operators within these realms is rewarding. Not to mention the research opportunities. Of course, a flight surgeon also does care for his aircrew and their families when they do have an 'abnormal health state' (when they get sick). I see the exact same conditions in my flight medicine clinic that my colleagues in Family Practice down the hall see. Don't be deceived by Metal's internet trolling.

. That's great. But guess what? You're not an F-16 pilot, and you're not a line officer. So stop masquerading as one. You're a physician, so act like one. The military will hold you in higher regard if you act like a doctor; and most line officers will actually respect you more, in that capacity. They don't care about your ability to pilot a jet, not your job. They do care about your ability to protocol a stat MRI at 3AM.

Here's a crazy piece of advice to all you pre-meds out there, who think you're going to go into military medicine and become some badass pilot or infantry-man while practicing medicine: First, it's not going to happen. Second, if you want to be an F-16 pilot/infantryman/SEAL/shipdriver, go to OCS and become a line officer instead of going to medical school.

No flight surgeon claims to be a pilot (aside from the few that are dual-qualified), nor did I state that I am an F-16 pilot. I fly in the primary aircraft of my squadron in order to understand the occupational exposures and the job-specific requirements of his operational tasks. When a pilot in my squadron lacerated an extensor tendon in one of his fingers, I could associate the use of that finger and hand in flying an F-16 and then use that information to make a determination when he can return to flying duties. I only know this information because of the time I've spent flying in the jet.

This is of course true, but I give medical students enough credit that they should know that a Spec Ops doc is not a Spec Ops Operator. Of course, you will not be doing the same job as the operators of the DoD. You will be their medical support. Geneva Conventions also requires that medics are designated as non-combatants. I suppose Doc Metal's trolling may have enlightened one or two very dull medical students on this forum who was unaware of this fact.

Happy Trolling Doc Metal!

How exactly am I trolling? I responded to your post. And by the looks of it, I've been on this forum a lot longer than you . . .so troll me not. If you can't take any criticism of what you're pushing, then don't post here. This isn't a private advertising board.

No flight surgeon claims to be a pilot (aside from the few that are dual-qualified), nor did I state that I am an F-16 pilot.
Ok, I'll give you that, you certainly didn't call yourself a pilot . . . but the undertone is there. You mention the fact that you fly in a F16 once a month, so you can glamorize your job and make it look attractive. I can do the same: I can mention the fact that I play a mean blues guitar, shredding at least once/week--though I'm not a professional musician--in an effort to make myself look more badass.

I fly in the primary aircraft of my squadron in order to understand the occupational exposures and the job-specific requirements of his operational tasks.
No you don't. It's not necessary to fly with your squadron to achieve this understanding. You can easily achieve this understanding by just learning about their profession and treating them accordingly. You fly because you're given the opportunity to do so, and it's a cool thing to do. Can't blame you, I'd probably do the same.

When a pilot in my squadron lacerated an extensor tendon in one of his fingers, I could associate the use of that finger and hand in flying an F-16 and then use that information to make a determination when he can return to flying duties. I only know this information because of the time I've spent flying in the jet.
Stop it. You're telling me that you had to fly with your squadron, in order to ascertain that a pilot might need the use of his fingers in flying a jet!? You coordinated his medevac (good on you, but again . . .a mid-level could do the same, not so sure an MD has to play this role). The real hero of that story is the orthopod who's done a difficult 5-yr surgical residency + 1 year hand fellowship, in order to repair your pilot's hand. And if said orthopod doesn't know an F-16 from an Abrams tank so be it, the medical outcome is the same.

This is of course true, but I give medical students enough credit that they should know that a Spec Ops doc is not a Spec Ops Operator.
Perhaps you're giving too much credit. I'm not saying that you're directly equating a spec ops doc to a spec ops operator . . . but again, there's an undertone there.

Reactions: 1 user
Hypoxia, Hypobaric or Hyperbaric conditions, temperature extremes, laser exposures, vibrational or acoustic distraction.

It's called a chapter in a book. Maybe a big chapter. As the previous posters stated, your position does not require a doctorate - the army expects more of their physician extenders in garrison. Good luck finding a job in "aerospace medicine" once you decide to separate.

Great DoD make-believe specialty, along with prev med.

Is this you too?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...cine-residency-training.914637/#post-14347561

Last edited:
I see the exact same conditions in my flight medicine clinic that my colleagues in Family Practice down the hall see.

Really? You take care of babies, pregnant women, and inpatients? I am also surprised that you would be allowed to perform splinting, skin biopsies, flexible sigmoidoscopies, and vasectomies like the family doctors do at my base.

It's called a chapter in a book. Maybe a big chapter.

In my EM residency we learned how to take care of cold patients, hot patients, and people who felt the effects of low or high altitudes. I've also ridden in an airplane before. Do I get wings?

Thanks for posting the same post in just about every post that ever mentioned flight surgery. Glad to see Lee saw it as well!

Look, flight surgery is fun, but let's not pretend it is rocket science.

Have to agree with my board certified colleagues above. GMO's are and can be very dangerous as essentially they are an intern plus a few months. Often they don't realize what they are missing till its late. When any GMO calls my ED asking for "advice"- my advice is to send them in (if not on a deployed ship) and I'll take care of the patient. If on a ship in the middle of the ocean, its a little more complicated. I especially dislike my favorite- they need a stat (insert favorite test here) and when they get to the ED that is either a) not indicated b) not needed or c) the least of the testing I will order because the patient is sicker than realized.