Army Shadowing / Clinical Volunteer Opportunities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

47Pilot

Reaction score
Current active duty O in the AV branch looking to apply in 2-3 years. What’s the best way to get shadowing/clinical volunteer opportunities on post. I’m stationed overseas for the next 2 year so my options are limited to the military facilities on post. I’ve tried reaching out multiple times to the Red Cross at the hospital on post and they’ve been very difficult to reach consistently. I’ve asked to shadow the flight doc for my unit and he said it wasn’t worth it and hasn’t been responsive. Can I just show up to the hospital and ask?? Anyone with experiences like this, please reach out!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, also active duty O overseas trying to make the dream happen. It sucks for us cause there really isn't too much information out there on our path so you almost have to make it up as you go.

We definitely are super limited being overseas for shadowing and clinical experience, as a lot of times the only times only availability will be during work hours

You are doing the right thing, only thing is being persistent. Getting opportunities Stateside or Civilian institutions can also be tough if you don't already have an in.

I'd suggest being even more direct, if you can get contacts of medical staff or physicians see if you can cold call/email directly. Do some volunteer with the Red Cross to make friends there; typically there is a representative that has good ties with medical staff at the hospitals. I'd also keep pressing your Flight Doc, experience is experience. It doesn't hurt to show up and ask around as well. Handle things delicately though, military is a small community and you don't want to be known as the overbearing person

For Clinical volunteering specifically the only thing I found was patient transport through the Red Cross, downsides is they only had opportunities available during work hours, but see if your location has something similar.

PM me where you are located at, we may be in the same spot possibly

Reactions: 1 user
Shadowing your flight surgeon isn’t great and I get why he wouldn’t want that. You’re another pilot in the unit so it could create a situation where you learn things about your coworkers that really aren’t your business.

But…ask if he has any connections at the hospital that can help you

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with not shadowing your flight doc, although it is disappointing the way he blew you off.

I would recommend setting up a meeting with the chief physician at your base’s clinic regarding a career in military medicine. The Air Force title is SGH, I am not sure what other branches call this position. That person would probably be able to direct you to someone you can shadow, as well as informing you if there are any clinical areas you can volunteer. (Off the top of my head, if your base had an ER or urgent care, they could probably use help handing out blankets and such).

FYI, if you are interested in USU, they do require a clinical letter of recommendation. It doesn’t need to be from a doc, (in fact, their website states this as well, and I submitted a letter from a nurse I worked with) but you will need to get some type of clinical experience to have the best possible shot at USU.

You want to stick with the lowest person you can in the medical command with this request. The higher you go the more detail that person is going to know about what ‘actually’ needs to happen to stay above board of requirements for shadowing. If you go to some higher level (chief physician, etc) then sure they might have an idea, but you’re also likely to find yourself mired in training requirements (HIPAA, etc) along with who knows what else (possibly background checks, etc).

If you can keep this at the clinical doctor level you’ll probably be able to find someone who doesn’t understand all the nuance and will just tell you to show up to their clinic at XYZ time. Someone above recommended, and I would 2nd, asking your flight doc if they have any friends (potentially other flight docs even) that you could shadow.

You want to stick with the lowest person you can in the medical command with this request. The higher you go the more detail that person is going to know about what ‘actually’ needs to happen to stay above board of requirements for shadowing. If you go to some higher level (chief physician, etc) then sure they might have an idea, but you’re also likely to find yourself mired in training requirements (HIPAA, etc) along with who knows what else (possibly background checks, etc).

If you can keep this at the clinical doctor level you’ll probably be able to find someone who doesn’t understand all the nuance and will just tell you to show up to their clinic at XYZ time. Someone above recommended, and I would 2nd, asking your flight doc if they have any friends (potentially other flight docs even) that you could shadow.
Hmm, that is a good point.

Maybe OP can walk into the different clinics on base and talk to the front desk staff? That may be a good way to get in touch with a practicing doc if the OP’s flight surgeon keeps being stand-off-ish.

If you’re 2-3 years out to applying, you have time to wait for clinical shadowing. Try to find someone you click with so you can get a letter out of it as well. Volunteering can be very tough overseas. I think coming from your background, it’s not an essential requirement but would be nice to have. I spent time volunteering with the Fisher house organization on base cooking meals for families visiting loved ones in the hospital. See if there’s something equivalent near you.

I’m a few years out from the process but went active army aviation to medical school. Also accepted to usuhs and hpsp but ultimately didn’t choose to continue military service. Happy to answer specific questions on how to navigate the process on private message.

Reactions: 1 users