Ophthalmology vs Neurosurgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

triquetras

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any ophthalmology residents or 4th years applying to ophthalomolgy programs that also considered neurosurgery? I am very interested in neuroscience, especially visual neuroscience and I also want to be a surgeon...following that train of thought I am thinking ophthalmology or neurosurgery. any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

I would guess that most visual neuroscience in ophthalmology is more in the realm of what neuro-ophthalmologists do. However, neuro-ops don't do much in the way of surgery. Both neurosurgery and oph would be great careers, but there isn't much similarity between the two.

I thought seriously about neurosurgery, but some of the big differences are
1. Ophth pts are rarely seriously ill (there are obvious exceptions & more than the non-ophthalmologist would realise)
2. Ophthalmologists have more happy pts (wow thank you doctor, the operation was a huge success)
3. The working conditions for neurosurgeons are terrible - horrendous hours, lots of on call
4. Neurosurgeons live in a medicolegal minefield, where the landmines are almost confluent. They are much more sparsely scattered in opthal :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I never considered neurosurgery, but one of my former attendings did. He gave me these two reasons for not doing neurosurg:
1. chronic back pain
2. worker's comp
He said these are common issues in neurosurgery clinic, and painful to deal with on a daily basis. He felt that when the legal issues mentioned above were taken into consideration, the choice was clear.

IMHO, comparing neurosx and ophthalmology is like comparing apples and bananas.

Neurosurgery

Brain/spinal cord
Usually very sick pts
Mostly pts with poor prognosis, even with sx. :thumbdown:
Frustrating because many cases are deemed un-operable, and there is nothing you can do. :rolleyes:
Many lawsuits. :mad:
Many on-call nights. :eek:
High stress, a worse lifestyle. :(

Ophthalmology

eyeball/orbit
Usually stable pts
Mostly pts with good prognosis. :thumbup:
Gratifying because in most cases you can do a surgical/medical intervention to "fix" the problem. :)
Fewer lawsuits. ;)
Fewer on-call nights. :sleep:
Low stress, a better lifestyle.:cool: