Ophthalmology Pre-residency research fellowship position for 2020-2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zizou1234

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Another year’s match has come and gone. Everyone should be proud of your achievements so far, regardless of outcomes. For those who may not have a plan set up for next year, we would like you to know about a great opportunity at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill (UNC). This one-year program offers a chance to participate in research at our institution and to meet and be part of a great team of ophthalmologists and will be a great asset for future applications to ophthalmology.

The Research Fellowship is a one-year program with Dr. David Fleischman (glaucoma) and Dr. Alice Zhang (surgical retina) at UNC. This program has been in place for the past 5 years. The vast majority of students who came through were successful in securing an ophthalmology residency the very next year (6 out of 7) and 2 became UNC residents. Particularly if your home school did not have an ophthalmology program, or if you feel that research is a weakness of your application, please strongly consider this program.

The research fellow can help take over projects that are ongoing and not yet completed by our current fellows. The year is aimed to begin in April 2020 until Apr 2021 (can be altered depending on your needs). Projects are mostly clinical, some requiring review of databases, others requiring recruitment and interaction with patients in the clinic setting. During your research year, you will also have the opportunity to shadow in the OR and in the clinic.

As the current fellow, I can say that the mentorship and various clinical/research opportunities truly strengthened me in terms of my application and my ultimate goal of becoming an outstanding physician. Even though Dr. Fleischman and Zhang will be who you work with, the collegiality between faculty provides chances to learn new and interesting topics and receive helpful feedback. You also have a chance to get projects started from morning case conference, as was the case when we published an interesting case report. The mentorship displayed by all the faculty will be something I will remember and cherish. The schedule is very flexible in terms of alternating between OR/clinic, subject recruitment, and manuscript drafting and optimizes your efficiency and productivity.

With that said, both supervisors are excited to mentor you towards the next step in your career. You will be given sufficient time off needed to attend all interviews. If you have any questions or are interested in working with Dr. Fleischman and Zhang for the 2020-2021 year, please feel free to send your SF match application for consideration to Khalid Aldaas, the current research fellow, at [email protected].

Thank you!

On Behalf of David Fleischman, MD and Alice Zhang, MD

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I just wanted to see if the fellowship position had been filled for next year? Thank you!

Hello,

Interviews will be sent out and no further applications will be accepted. Thank you for your interest and wish you all the best!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

I was wondering if there will be any pre-residency position for the 2021-2022 academic year.

Thank you!

Hello all. I have recently joined the network. I had some queries regarding ophthalmology residency. I am an ophthalmologist with clinical experience (IMG) for a couple of years. Planning to apply for residency next year but have low and average scores in all the steps, no attempts, have 3 ophtho and 2 other pubs, ophtho research experience at home country. Will a pre-residency research fellowship for one year from a reputed institute in the US with good LORs help in my match or do I have to look for other specialties.