Ophthalmology Oral Board Prep Textbook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neuph

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am curious what others have done to prepare for the oral exams. Any recommendations that are different from the threads of 2009, 2010. Anyway there is a new book coming out in early 2012. Excerpts from the book can be viewed, and the book preorder at Crimson House Publishing website. Here is the URL: http://ophthalmology.oralboardprep.com

I know a few people from residency who said this book was an invaluable tool for board preparation.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm the only ophthalmologist who has barely looked at Wills. Have never liked the format. Search prior threads for my recommendations.

I didn't use it much in my preparations. After the test and going over the questions that gave me trouble, I realized Wills had all the keys points I needed to know (differential, tests, treatment, follow-up).

If I had to take the test again, I would have studied Wills more. Fortunately, I did not get that opportunity.

Your first post/advertisement was good enough John. Btw, the book's website could use a little work. Just my 2 cents :)

I am curious what others have done to prepare for the oral exams. Any recommendations that are different from the threads of 2009, 2010. Anyway there is a new book coming out in early 2012. Excerpts from the book can be viewed, and the book preorder at Crimson House Publishing website. Here is the URL: http://ophthalmology.oralboardprep.com

I know a few people from residency who said this book was an invaluable tool for board preparation.

You can always resell it on pio.medrounds.org! :)

i value your opinion. how would you suggest changing the website?

whom do i contact at PIO to place book on website?

there's always new books and tools out there, and that's great. I read wills eye manual and had a copy of the osler course syllabus. Did some cases with fellow residents for mock exam. Passed. Not sure you need a new book as most of us are very familiar with wills, and believe me, it works great.

I honestly can't imagine how so many people can just sit down and read through Will's. It's good as a reference, but it's insanely dry to just read through.

Singh's Ophthalmology Review- out of print now, but you can usually find used copies floating around. Goes through bread and butter cases in case presentation format. Very easy to read and covers all the basics.

I also memorized the first 2 chapters of Wills- useful for differential diagnosis stuff.

Singh's textbook is a wonderful resource and great read. I highly recommend Ophthalmology Clinical Vignetts: Oral Board Prep Guide as well.

Friedman and Kaiser just released "Case Reviews in Ophthalmology" It is apparently written specifically as an Oral Boards prep book

As far as the optics portion I found the clinical cases and instruments section in Last Minute Optics helpful. Also in the book The Fine Art of Spectacles by Rubin there's a some good sections on the unhappy glasses patient.

I also took the Osler mock orals course which I did find extremely helpful in preparing for the exam.