Ophthalmology and Public Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djack240

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone! I am a third year medical student planning to pursue a MPH degree, and am wondering if there are any practicing ophthalmologists on this forum who also hold MPH degrees? Specifically, I would like to know what caused you to pursue a MPH degree and how you are able to integrate public health into your ophthalmology practice and/or research. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the number of responses I've received, I thought it would be best to pose a new question :).

In your opinion, what is/are the most pressing public health problem(s) in national/international ophthalmology?

By no means an exhaustive list. A lifetime's work in public health could be focused on the elimination of any of these

In the US, AMD, diabetic retinopathy, POAG
In Africa/parts of middle east - cataract, POAG, trachoma, river blindness
Asia - cataract, ACG, POAG, trachoma

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By no means an exhaustive list. A lifetime's work in public health could be focused on the elimination of any of these

In the US, AMD, diabetic retinopathy, POAG
In Africa/parts of middle east - cataract, POAG, trachoma, river blindness
Asia - cataract, ACG, POAG, trachoma

I know it's been a while, but I thought I would update you and say "Thanks!". I am currently pursuing two MPH projects related to retinopathy in the US so thank you again for your suggestions!

Hello, everyone! I am a third year medical student planning to pursue a MPH degree, and am wondering if there are any practicing ophthalmologists on this forum who also hold MPH degrees? Specifically, I would like to know what caused you to pursue a MPH degree and how you are able to integrate public health into your ophthalmology practice and/or research. Thank you!

Hey-I'm an ophtho resident. Have an MPH and have done some work in ophtho public health both domestically and abroad. Private msg me if you'd like to discuss more about ophtho public health.

Reactions: 1 user