Ophthalmic Assistants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was not referring to starting salaries. I was referring to average salaries for all comprehensive ophthalmologists.

But I didn't want to make this thread about me. The tacit implication of the original posting and some of the followups was that optometrists try to force surgeons into comanagement relationships because the optometrist just wants the money.

My point was that whatever money is involved certainly does not come from providing the comanagement service and in fact, comanagement is frequently a money LOSING proposition for the optometrist.

So, if co-management loses money, what's the motivation then?

Members don't see this ad.

I was not referring to starting salaries. I was referring to average salaries for all comprehensive ophthalmologists.

But I didn't want to make this thread about me. The tacit implication of the original posting and some of the followups was that optometrists try to force surgeons into comanagement relationships because the optometrist just wants the money.

My point was that whatever money is involved certainly does not come from providing the comanagement service and in fact, comanagement is frequently a money LOSING proposition for the optometrist.

I would say the "average" ophthalmologist salary is around 300-450k/year. Obviously, the new graduates and associates make significantly less than that (~150-200k depending on geographical location). Obviously, if one is working 3 days and doing 3 phacos a week, the salary will be much much lower.

Again, I think the overall point of co-management is so that the O.D. gets their patient back. I agree with you -- I don't think anyone cares about the 20% comanagement fee.