Only three days to close out the Tri-Service Patient Safety Survey on Top!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IgD

The Lorax
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As I continue to reminsce over my career in military medicine I wanted to share another e-mail with you. Below is one e-mail in a series where the hospital got all worked up over participation in an online survey. They kept sending out e-mails saying that a higher percentage of completed surveys was needed to compete with other hospitals.

At the same time my colleagues and and I worked tirelessly and short handed to try to get the mission done. In that context it was surreal getting these kinds of e-mails.

Good Morning Staff,

I want to congratulate you on your exceptional work in showing Navy
Medicine that we take Patient Safety seriously here at _____. We are at
91% as of _____, lets break 96% before _____. I got a question te
other day about our MLC staff and the survey, Can our MLC staff that
work in patient care complete the survey? The answer is absolutely!
Remember we are one big family so we all need to participate.

Here is the site and it only takes 15 mins to complete:
https://...

If you haven't taken the survey yet please help us SMASH THE 96% MARK
before _____.

Great work!

Commanding Officer
Naval Hospital

Members don't see this ad.

As I continue to reminsce over my career in military medicine I wanted to share another e-mail with you. Below is one e-mail in a series where the hospital got all worked up over participation in an online survey. They kept sending out e-mails saying that a higher percentage of completed surveys was needed to compete with other hospitals.

At the same time my colleagues and and I worked tirelessly and short handed to try to get the mission done. In that context it was surreal getting these kinds of e-mails.

Okaaaay . . . .I don't quite see your point. These types of 'customer support' surveys are all over the place, military or not, medicine or not. Yeah they're usually BS, but sometimes they help.

Okaaaay . . . .I don't quite see your point. These types of 'customer support' surveys are all over the place, military or not, medicine or not. Yeah they're usually BS, but sometimes they help.

I would assume that you don't understand because you haven't worked in the environment. Not knowing you, I can't say for sure.

There is an incredible focus on artificial goals in military medicine. The powers that be are caught up on compliance with silly administrative things. They care more about completing these tasks that delivery of quality medical care. Ask any medical corps doc what the most important factor in his or promotion is making weight and passing PT tests. Not completing CBRNE training is worse than killing a patient. Civilian medical systems are created to maximize physician utilization and thus, delivery of care. The military medical system is designed to service the bureaucracy. That's his point

Ed

Members don't see this ad :)
The other thing was the perception was nothing was ever done with the survey results. We kept plugging along with no changes. The way the command treated the survey was like it was some major critical thing that warranted everyone's attention:)

I would assume that you don't understand because you haven't worked in the environment. Not knowing you, I can't say for sure.

There is an incredible focus on artificial goals in military medicine. The powers that be are caught up on compliance with silly administrative things. They care more about completing these tasks that delivery of quality medical care. Ask any medical corps doc what the most important factor in his or promotion is making weight and passing PT tests. Not completing CBRNE training is worse than killing a patient. Civilian medical systems are created to maximize physician utilization and thus, delivery of care. The military medical system is designed to service the bureaucracy. That's his point

Ed

ahhhh! I see. Now you see, the paragraph that you just wrote explaining that was much more useful than the email itself. That's my point. draw from and narrate your own experiences, vice posting silly emails.

Even as the resident milmed cheerleader (per Galo) I gotta tell you, it's getting kind of annoying watching you chase after every thread to trash the posters who share silly little stories about military life.

I take IgD's recent threads as funny anecdotes about his time in the service. If you're taking these as serious reasons not to join milmed, I think you're dramatically over-reacting.

How about you do us all a favor and give us a little perspective on where you're coming from. Every one of the regular posters in this forum is very open about where they are at in their career, and what experience they have with this system. When I was a fresh intern last year, in here defending milmed and getting seriously trashed for it, I still had the courage to state my (limited) qualifications. Man-up and do the same.

I did, in my discussions with Galo:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=277310&page=2

I'm former line navy, SWO and EDO. going HPSP next Fall.

as far as hardships and complaints go, you guys don't hold a candle to the swo community! but go ahead, whatever makes you feel right . . .

I did, in my discussions with Galo:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=277310&page=2

I'm former line navy, SWO and EDO. going HPSP next Fall.

as far as hardships and complaints go, you guys don't hold a candle to the swo community! but go ahead, whatever makes you feel right . . .

Instead of just throwing stones, why don't you back it up with some facts? What hardships did you face in the SWO community? My friend was a SWO and he loved it.