Only MD/DO and nothing else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If your hospital/employer does not list the other credentials of its physicians (e.g. PhD, MPH, etc) other than MD or DO after each name on its website or general publications, would that bother or not bother you if you had them.

Members don't see this ad.

I spent a lot of money to have cool letters after my name so I better get my moneys worth! 😂

Reactions: 1 users
It might be mildly annoying, but this has to be at the absolute bottom of the list of considerations when you're deciding where to be employed.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
If your hospital/employer does not list the other credentials of its physicians (e.g. PhD, MPH, etc) other than MD or DO after each name on its website or general publications, would that bother or not bother you if you had them.
I have them. It wouldn't bother me.
The MD is the only degree (of mine) that matters in the hospital.

Reactions: 6 users

Yes, it would bother me immensely. My PhD in physical chemistry was way harder to get and more meaningful. I had to actually learn things, not just memorize, take test, and dump like I did in Medical School (which is honestly, the worst type of education).

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe the OP can go to Germany, where they could be Professor Professor Doctor Doctor Schmidt!
That's Mister Professor Professor Doctor Doctor Schmidt.

They don't drop the Herr from the beginning. (Though I think Professor is only listed once, while Doctor per the # of doctorates you have - could be wrong)

That's Mister Professor Professor Doctor Doctor Schmidt.

They don't drop the Herr from the beginning. (Though I think Professor is only listed once, while Doctor per the # of doctorates you have - could be wrong)
I've been studying German for 2 years on Duolingo, and still can't speak it. Aber, danke, mein Herr Doktor!

Yes, it would bother me immensely. My PhD in physical chemistry was way harder to get and more meaningful. I had to actually learn things, not just memorize, take test, and dump like I did in Medical School (which is honestly, the worst type of education).
QFT

Eh, wouldn’t bother me. The doctor one is the only one that matters in the clinical setting. Or we could start being like nurses and listing every credential ever on everything. I could be Dr. LucidSplash, BA, MD, MBA-candidate, RPVI, FACS, FSVS. But like, why?

I agree that a PhD in Pchem is hands down more impressive than the MD. But I tend to champion utility. I don’t want DNPs referring to themselves as doctor in a clinical setting. I want patients to have a clearcut understanding of clinical degrees and clinical roles. So I think all the non-clinical degrees aren’t useful in a clinical setting. Save them for the podium.

But I’m also the person who doesn’t put Dr. on credit cards or other trivial stuff. YMMV.

Reactions: 5 users
Have you asked them why they don’t ?
Or asked them to change it?

I have asked.
Generally only the MD/DO credential is listed for the sake of simplifying the onboarding process for new physicians to be uploaded onto the hospital's onboarding system.
I have asked the higher ups if they would reconsider their policy.

If i had a phd in pchem I would probably go by “dr fibro, phd ( and also MD).” Hell, sometimes time I want BS in biomed engineering/informatics* on there first.

*Was a soul crushing day for me when i found out hospital informatics is essentially sloppy IT. My undergrad work was way more computational and dealt with a lot of large messy datasets.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Of all things to be worried about at a medical job, this is something way, way, waaaaay down the list. Focus on issues that actually matter at your job (trust me, there will be many).

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Well now I feel like a jerk for always putting "Dr." Not that I will go around correcting people if they call me "Mr," but if they ask I'm not above sharing and hoping for some sort of preferential treatment...

Is there some good reason NOT to disclose that I'm missing?
Some service employee may feel that it’s pompous and/or that you’re making a show of being a doctor and give you worse service.

In general, I don’t broadcast being a doctor. If anything, in public spaces it tends to generate negativity. I also feel like it can make you a target for harassment and crime (theft in particular).

Well now I feel like a jerk for always putting "Dr." Not that I will go around correcting people if they call me "Mr," but if they ask I'm not above sharing and hoping for some sort of preferential treatment...

Not that I think it's ever happened to me, but I don't necessarily need the car mechanic or salesman getting the idea that I have a deeper wallet than you would otherwise think at a casual glance.

Reactions: 7 users
Whoops, I guess my sarcasm wasn't as apparent as I thought. :)

I never put Dr on anything. If for nothing else, I just don't want any unnecessary attention, positive or negative.

Reactions: 2 users

If I don't tell people I do something vague like "work in healthcare", they often follow up by asking what kind of doctor, and then I have to tell them I'm a psychiatrist, and then they want to tell me about the person in their life they are convinced has a personality disorder. I recognize that may be a unique issue.

EDIT: or they have their own hangups about mental health treatment and get all squirrelly and low-key hostile. Pass.

Also I spent years in a non-clinical academic environment where nobody called anybody doctor because it was assumed everyone had a doctorate. Calling yourself doctor or using initials of that doctorate was viewed as strange and a dead giveaway that you were on the fringe of the discipline/ an "independent scholar."

Reactions: 3 users
I have a masters degree. It's not listed on the website. I did ask for it to be added to my name on a list for GME purposes, but only because everyone else in my division had theirs listed and I felt left out. I have it on the signature in my email, which I don't use half the time anyway, but other than that, I don't care.

the more important question is , how's your compensation... as long as you're paying me 20-25% above market... you can call me whatever you want. On a Serious note, please don't be this guy ...FIRST Name , LAST Name MSN, DNP, CRNP, ACAGNP-BC,.

the game of alphabet soup is s confusing especially for patients who doesn't know what they mean. Have your MD PHD on your lab coat/ scrubs and " go see patients".

Ok so I have a small confession to make:

I’ve seriously toyed with the idea of getting an online masters degree in forestry simply so my badge could read;

Operaman, MD, BA, MF

IYKYK

I’ll show myself out…

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

I’ve seriously toyed with the idea of getting an online masters degree in forestry simply so my badge could read;

Operaman, MD, BA, MF

IYKYK

I’ll show myself out…
thanks for the suggestion! i'm looking online now for courses that will add MILF on my last name too

Operaman, MD, BA, MF

IYKYK

I’ll show myself out…
Great!!!!
Hey Dr. Operaman, I want to have you for my next door neighbor. You would fit right in with all my other gang-banger neighbors.