Online EMT-B Course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeMD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently finishing up my senior year of college, and since my course load isn't too bad, I was thinking about taking an EMT-B class and getting certified. However, I cant find any places nearby that offer this.

I'm wondering if there are any online/distance learning EMT-B courses that you guys/gals may know of?

any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Is there such a thing? I thought the clinical and practical aspects of the course were necessary both for a class and for the certification test, and that would be missing from an online course.

I'm currently finishing up my senior year of highschool, and since my course load isnt too bad, I was thinking about taking an EMT-B class and getting certified. However, I cant find any places nearby that offer this.

I'm wondering if there are any online/distance learning EMT-B courses that you guys/gals may know of?

any help much appreciated!

Thanks

Few things. If you're just now finishing HS, what's with the MDApps profile that must be fake, since there's no way you can be done with college and applying to med school in 2008 if you're just now finishing HS.

Secondly, if you find an online "EMT-B" class, run far, far away because it's probably a scam. You must take an actual, physical class due to the nature of the beast. It's not possible to do the practical parts of the course such as the skills assessment online. You also need to do a 10-hour ridealong with an ambulance company...watching 10 hours of ambulance videos on youtube won't work.

Thirdly, why is it that people call themselves MD (referring to your username) when they don't hold that degree yet? Sheesh that's becoming more prevalent and it's just plain insulting to the people who do have those degrees.

Lastly, if you're in Florida, start searching /all/ of the community colleges near you to see if they offer an EMT course. Florida is a pretty decent-sized state so there must be at least one course near you. Also check www.ncti-online.com...NCTI has locations all over the country, and despite being a little pricy, they offer EMT-B courses. You can also do a search for your state's EMS page...maybe do a search for Florida EMS or some such, and then find an Education and/or Training link and then see who's listed as an EMT-B course provider in your area.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an online EMT-P certificate a few months after I got my EMT-B in 1999. For Free. The certificate isnt worth the paper its written on. You could get all sorts of random certifications by taking online exams. Pass the exams, and they send you a free certificate... eventually they started charging money, so I stopped getting certificates.

I think my cert in bomb disarming is up in a few months.

Mike, I just looked at your profile. It doesnt make any sense.

Few things. If you're just now finishing HS, what's with the MDApps profile that must be fake, since there's no way you can be done with college and applying to med school in 2008 if you're just now finishing HS.

Secondly, if you find an online "EMT-B" class, run far, far away because it's probably a scam. You must take an actual, physical class due to the nature of the beast. It's not possible to do the practical parts of the course such as the skills assessment online. You also need to do a 10-hour ridealong with an ambulance company...watching 10 hours of ambulance videos on youtube won't work.

Thirdly, why is it that people call themselves MD (referring to your username) when they don't hold that degree yet? Sheesh that's becoming more prevalent and it's just plain insulting to the people who do have those degrees.

Lastly, if you're in Florida, start searching /all/ of the community colleges near you to see if they offer an EMT course. Florida is a pretty decent-sized state so there must be at least one course near you. Also check www.ncti-online.com...NCTI has locations all over the country, and despite being a little pricy, they offer EMT-B courses. You can also do a search for your state's EMS page...maybe do a search for Florida EMS or some such, and then find an Education and/or Training link and then see who's listed as an EMT-B course provider in your area.

LOL I meant senior year of college. Dyslexia.com sorry about that.

Thanks for the info. I know that you need the clinical/ambulance experience, but I was thinking maybe I could do the course work online, pass the cert. exam at a testing facility, and then do the clinical/ambulance experience near me. I'm a permanent resident of Florida, but I'm currently finishing up college out of state. I'm worried that if I take the class this semester out of state, I won't be able to get certified in florida unless I take another class. Does it work like this?

Thanks again, and sorry about the confusion.

and about the "MD" in my username...it was a spur of the moment thing when I registered, just tried to think of something generic so I could post a question. As you can see, I'm not even applying to any MD programs. If I could change it, I would.

Thanks for the info. I know that you need the clinical/ambulance experience, but I was thinking maybe I could do the course work online, pass the cert. exam at a testing facility, and then do the clinical/ambulance experience near me. I'm a permanent resident of Florida, but I'm currently finishing up college out of state. I'm worried that if I take the class this semester out of state, I won't be able to get certified in florida unless I take another class. Does it work like this?

Thanks again, and sorry about the confusion.

and about the "MD" in my username...it was a spur of the moment thing when I registered, just tried to think of something generic so I could post a question. As you can see, I'm not even applying to any MD programs. If I could change it, I would.

Oh, no if that's your worry, then...well, don't worry about it. Any EMT-B class you take should prepare you to take the National Registry EMT exam which will allow you to work as an EMT anywhere in the country. You can take any EMT-B class near you (providing it prepares you to the NREMT-B level, and most do), take National Registry and once you pass the exam, just send in your 30 bucks to the local county in Florida that you want to work in with a copy of your BCLS and EMT cards and they'll send you your county cert.

It's not so much that you need experience on an ambulance...just the clinical exp, and unlike most things people claim to be clinical on their AMCAS, this actually is clinical experience.

there are a few emt programs where you do didactic online and then go to a boot camp for a few days for clinicals.
one is in teaxs. they also offer online fire academy:
http://www.trainingdivision.com/
this was really hard to find...I did a search for "online emt" at google.......dude...do a bit of research.....

That is not true. NREMT does not allow you to work anywhere in the US..There are some states that don't take it, it get tougher if you are a medic.. Florida will honor your NREMT-B if you were trained in a FL program and just issue you a FL cert. But if you are trained out of state they will still honor it but you will need to take FL's cert exam....

That is not true. NREMT does not allow you to work anywhere in the US..There are some states that don't take it, it get tougher if you are a medic.. Florida will honor your NREMT-B if you were trained in a FL program and just issue you a FL cert. But if you are trained out of state they will still honor it but you will need to take FL's cert exam....
This is a good point. Reciprocity (which I have no idea if I spelled right) is different in every state. Not only is it different in every state but it varies as to how each state deals with every other state.

You really need to find out exactly what will be required of you before you move and definitely before you show up to test.

NREMT does tend to buy you at least the right to challenge a state's test which means you can take their cert exam without having to take a whole new course at whatever level you are.

Aside from the ambulance ride time, a good EMT course gives you lots of hands on practice. You can read about backboarding, taking blood pressures, putting on traction splints, etc. but it isn't until you actually get to do it that you get good. And while some things like slinging an arm you could do at home on your friends, having an instructor to critique you really helps.

I got an online EMT-P certificate a few months after I got my EMT-B in 1999. For Free. The certificate isnt worth the paper its written on. You could get all sorts of random certifications by taking online exams. Pass the exams, and they send you a free certificate... eventually they started charging money, so I stopped getting certificates.

Can you tell me at wich school yougot EMT-P Online?

Can you tell me at wich school yougot EMT-P Online?
You realize howell isn't advocating getting EMT-P this way and that he pointed out that these certs aren't worth anything.

I just ran across this and thought I'd give a little bit of information. While it is true that clinical hours and ambulatory observation hours are required and vary by state, agencies, and even colleges (as long as they meet the minimum requirement), here in North Carolina colleges have been experimenting with other means of certifying people besides traditional classes. Several schools (Fayetteville Technical Community College, Lenoir Community College, Wake Technical Community College, just to name a few) have expanded these classrooms into online programs. You do all of your classroom required work online and attend the campus on selected days for skills and practical testing. This is geared more for the working adults or even other college students who can't make the regular traditional schedule. These classes do make you eligible to test for state certification as do the traditional classes. Just thought I'd let you know. Also, Western Carolina University even has a Bachelor's of Science Degree in Emergency Medical Sciences (Pre-Med) for non-degree paramedics.