Online date

mercaptovizadeh

ἐδάκρυσεν ὁ Ἰησοῦς
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is not actually for me but on behalf of a close female friend....She has not posted this because she is not internet savvy.

Basically, she's in her late 30s, hasn't dated all that much and is very interested in marriage.

What she's been looking for is someone who is 1) a devout Christian; 2) well educated and doing reasonably well in life; 3) not previously married/divorced but widower OK and similar in age; 4) physically attractive to her.

She just recently started corresponding online with a man who meets a lot of her criteria. He's a devout Christian, he's an engineer with a steady job, he hasn't been married and takes relationships very seriously, he's a year older, and she finds him very attractive.

The problem is, he lives long distance and is ~750 miles away (as the crow flies), or ~870 miles away if you were driving. He has acknowledged that he is corresponding with other people but that if it became more serious, after a few days with said person(s) he would let her know and call it off.

He corresponds with her almost every day, writing very long email exchanges via the dating website. Oftentimes the quantity of text he writes gets beyond the word limit and parts are cut off. So he's not at a loss for words. He has stated he is trying to figure out the spiritual side of things - as friends - before taking it to the next level.

The two peculiar things are that 1) he keeps things relatively superficial and 2) he has not asked to exchange telephone numbers and move off of the dating service email into the telephone or Skype. She told her at the start that she feels that the man needs to make the moves, so he is aware that she is not someone who will necessarily take the lead here.

She's puzzled by the relatively superficial nature of his emails. He's not digging deep, writing paragraphs about his deeply personal vulnerable stuff, or even about theology, history, his job, her job, his family, etc. It's more like he touches on a lot of things she mentioned, answers the questions briefly and posits some counter questions, and does this with every email. I have different hypotheses regarding this, but wanted to ask the forum to get more opinions.

Questions:
1) What to make of no asking to take it to the telephone/Skype after 2 weeks? At what point should she suggest taking it to telephone or Skype? If things went well and they do take it to phone or Skype, when is the "normal" time frame to expect an IRL meetup, considering the distance of ~870 miles.
2) What to make of the somewhat superficial content and how to manage it? Is this "all" there is to him, or is he holding off of expressing deeply held or controversial opinions or talking about personal vulnerabilities until later? And in the mean time, should she do something to try to steer things more in that way, such as opening up more on her own perspectives?

Any help much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It really sounds like this guy either isn't real and he's actually a computer program someone is running, or he's got multiple lines of communication going with dozens of women simultaneously and they are all at the superficial level and he doesn't care to get to know any individual woman. I've read about profiles that are actually just simulated, "fake" people online that are able to generate lots of wordy correspondence, but they lack that human sophistication of real, in-depth responses.
If it were me, I honestly would stop communicating with this person so much, or get more direct, and see what the response is. It could be the person or computer program just considers her a lost candidate out of many. Sorry but I think gut instincts are called for here.

So this is not actually for me but on behalf of a close female friend....She has not posted this because she is not internet savvy.

Basically, she's in her late 30s, hasn't dated all that much and is very interested in marriage.

What she's been looking for is someone who is 1) a devout Christian; 2) well educated and doing reasonably well in life; 3) not previously married/divorced but widower OK and similar in age; 4) physically attractive to her.

She just recently started corresponding online with a man who meets a lot of her criteria. He's a devout Christian, he's an engineer with a steady job, he hasn't been married and takes relationships very seriously, he's a year older, and she finds him very attractive.

The problem is, he lives long distance and is ~750 miles away (as the crow flies), or ~870 miles away if you were driving. He has acknowledged that he is corresponding with other people but that if it became more serious, after a few days with said person(s) he would let her know and call it off.

He corresponds with her almost every day, writing very long email exchanges via the dating website. Oftentimes the quantity of text he writes gets beyond the word limit and parts are cut off. So he's not at a loss for words. He has stated he is trying to figure out the spiritual side of things - as friends - before taking it to the next level.

The two peculiar things are that 1) he keeps things relatively superficial and 2) he has not asked to exchange telephone numbers and move off of the dating service email into the telephone or Skype. She told her at the start that she feels that the man needs to make the moves, so he is aware that she is not someone who will necessarily take the lead here.

She's puzzled by the relatively superficial nature of his emails. He's not digging deep, writing paragraphs about his deeply personal vulnerable stuff, or even about theology, history, his job, her job, his family, etc. It's more like he touches on a lot of things she mentioned, answers the questions briefly and posits some counter questions, and does this with every email. I have different hypotheses regarding this, but wanted to ask the forum to get more opinions.

Questions:
1) What to make of no asking to take it to the telephone/Skype after 2 weeks? At what point should she suggest taking it to telephone or Skype? If things went well and they do take it to phone or Skype, when is the "normal" time frame to expect an IRL meetup, considering the distance of ~870 miles.
2) What to make of the somewhat superficial content and how to manage it? Is this "all" there is to him, or is he holding off of expressing deeply held or controversial opinions or talking about personal vulnerabilities until later? And in the mean time, should she do something to try to steer things more in that way, such as opening up more on her own perspectives?

Any help much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds like she is getting trolled (tricked by a fake account) or the guy is real and is just not interested in getting serious and just wants to talk superficially given the distance. I would stop correspondence and use dating apps that find dates locally, so she can go on an actual date. Realistically this relationship is most likely not going to work, fake person or not.

Reactions: 1 user
It really sounds like this guy either isn't real and he's actually a computer program someone is running, or he's got multiple lines of communication going with dozens of women simultaneously and they are all at the superficial level and he doesn't care to get to know any individual woman. I've read about profiles that are actually just simulated, "fake" people online that are able to generate lots of wordy correspondence, but they lack that human sophistication of real, in-depth responses.
If it were me, I honestly would stop communicating with this person so much, or get more direct, and see what the response is. It could be the person or computer program just considers her a lost candidate out of many. Sorry but I think gut instincts are called for here.

He just started digging deeper and apparently sent a rash of messages, i.e. 3 large messages all at once because the text was overflowing beyond the character limits. I guess at ~1 month or sooner he should be trying to move it to Skype or telephone, right?

He just started digging deeper and apparently sent a rash of messages, i.e. 3 large messages all at once because the text was overflowing beyond the character limits. I guess at ~1 month or sooner he should be trying to move it to Skype or telephone, right?
image.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
IMO, there should be a steady progression (assuming there is interest/chemistry) to move OFF the initial method of contact into something more intimate; e.g., moving from text-based messaging on a 3rd party dating service to sharing Instant Messaging handles and then conducting a voice chat so you a hear the other person's voice. It's more human and real and shows progression. Re: IRL meetup @ 1000 miles away, that is dependent on how serious things get based on voice and video chats. But at this point it's too premature to even consider meeting in person.

Speaking only for myself as a victim of stalking and as an online privacy/security advocate, I try to minimize my online attack surface by limiting the amount of "real" information I give out -- especially on an inherently insecure communications platform such as a 3rd party dating service that can monitor all communications -- and will NEVER talk about serious stuff without first moving to a secure comms platform. Once we get to secure voice and video chat and secure IM'ing, I'm more comfortable getting into deeper conversational subjects.

But I can't speak for other people since I find many people are ignorant (or at least apathetic) when it comes to privacy, so I cannot predict the motivations behind this guy wanting to keep things superficial.

Best advice is to try to move off the 3rd party dating platform and onto a secure IM/voice/video chat platform so you can hear the other person's voice and see their face -- you know, a "real" human interaction. It's prudent to rule out fake people, catfishes, and trolls on the Internet. Otherwise your female friend is merely wasting her time and setting herself up for failure, victimization, blackmail, or worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
If she's serious about finding someone serious, she needs to look closer to home. She can suggest Skype now and see how that goes, but if she wants him to take the initiative and he isn't taking it, there's your answer.

Reactions: 1 users