Does he really not have time to date?

stella233

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Non medical person here. I recently started going out with an awesome guy who is finishing his fellowship this year. We haven't been going out very long - maybe 3 months. I typically see him every other week, sometimes more if he can. He's always (always always) super busy and exhausted. I feel bad for the guy. I'd usually tell him we can stay in instead of going out, but he'd always put in the time and effort to spend time with me outside of the house. I tried to cook for him etc whenever I could since he didn't normally have time.

ANYWAY - everything was going fantastic until he slowly started seeing me less and less. He would say work was getting unbearable, and I understood. So I gave him space. Eventually it got to the point where I didn't even hear from him for weeks at a time. This confuses me because it came out of nowhere. I got no indication whatsoever that he was losing interest. We still have outstanding plans for weekend trips (initiated by him, not me). I finally said something along the lines of "I know this is a very difficult/busy time for you, so we can stop seeing each other if it's becoming a hassle."

He said no and asked if I can please bear with him until he finishes his fellowship. Of course I said yes. But he hasn't so much as contacted me in almost a month. Obviously he has lost interest and doesn't want to see me anymore - I know I know. Im not even sure why I'm writing this, I'm just sad/confused and felt like writing to strangers. I'll get over it eventually. Just sucks because he was the nicest guy I've ever been out with.

I guess one teeny tiny part of me has to ask - can he really be THAT busy? Don't get me wrong, I know he is in fact busy. But too busy to text/call me even once in a month? We make time for what's important to us right? It was never an issue for him to make time for me before. What could have possibly changed?

I already know the answer (he doesn't like me and "ghosted" me because he thinks its better than saying "hey I don't like you.) Just need to get this out of my system so I can move on

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure he's busy but I'm also sure that he still has found time to check his email, check social media, etc in the past month. It doesn't take that long to send a text. Unfortunately I think he's just not interested enough to invest the time in a new relationship when he's got other things going on. Like you said, if it was important to him, he would find the time.

You asked this in another forum and had clear answers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You would know if the person is truly interested with you - no matter how busy they are they will always find a way to see and be with you.

Unfortunately your suspicions are right. It sucks, but I can tell you that even when you are being consumed by work, you make the effort if you care.

No matter how busy a person is, he will find time for you if he needs it. In general, I always follow the rule that words mean nothing, only actions.

Reactions: 2 users
What a loser ahole

I hate ppl who can't figure out what they want enough not to waste someone else's time

He's not the nicest guy you've dated. Nice guys don't do this.

He probably didn't mean harm but I doubt the last patient he killed from a medical mistake was on purpose either. No excuse for incompetence. Actions have consequences. Forget him.

Guy or girl, if they're interested - they will make time.

Ahh, nothing like a good necrobump to keep the blood young.

@stella233 - your two married now that it's been 2 years? (Yeah, right. Also - pretty sure we aren't going to get an update, but I like to live optimistically)

Stellaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa