One-year fellowship options before Hem/Onc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmiSansNom

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, as a prospective Hem/Onc applicant, I was wondering what fellowships are available in case I don't match into Hem/Onc in my first attempt. Since I'm an IMG on a J1, I'll only have the luxury of doing 1 extra year before doing Hem/Onc. I'm aware of some programs offering a 1-year Transfusion Medicine fellowship, but I'm not sure how many spots are available nation-wide. Are there other such 1-year fellowships that would help me support my application towards Hem/Onc? Also, how competitive are these fellowships? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, as a prospective Hem/Onc applicant, I was wondering what fellowships are available in case I don't match into Hem/Onc in my first attempt. Since I'm an IMG on a J1, I'll only have the luxury of doing 1 extra year before doing Hem/Onc. I'm aware of some programs offering a 1-year Transfusion Medicine fellowship, but I'm not sure how many spots are available nation-wide. Are there other such 1-year fellowships that would help me support my application towards Hem/Onc? Also, how competitive are these fellowships? Thank you.
I'm not sure, maybe BMT?

Or maybe take a year "off" (or working PRN) and try to do research at a place with a hem/onc fellowship, especially if you can do research with faculty (especially PDs) who can help you, make calls for you, write good LOR's for you?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I appreciate your replies.
Also, what do you think about doing these 1-year fellowships vs doing a year of Chief Residency? Which do you think would be more valuable in supporting my application for a Hem/Onc fellowship?

Thank you, I appreciate your replies.
Also, what do you think about doing these 1-year fellowships vs doing a year of Chief Residency? Which do you think would be more valuable in supporting my application for a Hem/Onc fellowship?
Better to be a chief. Chief is a good way to lock a fellowship spot (generally field of your choosing) at home institution

Reactions: 1 users
To follow up my OP, how competitive are these 1-year fellowships for an IMG? I've seen that most programs typically have 1 or 2 spots at the most each year. And do most of the people who do these 1-year fellowships go on to match into HemeOnc? Thanks.

Where should i look for 1yr fellowships. Are they advertised at hem-onc department web page or have to email each department contact.

Good Morning everyone!
Which option is better to get Hemonc fellowship? 1 year hemonc hospitalist in any program where they have hemonc fellowship VS 1 year non acgme fellowship in oncology related field?

Good Morning everyone!
Which option is better to get Hemonc fellowship? 1 year hemonc hospitalist in any program where they have hemonc fellowship VS 1 year non acgme fellowship in oncology related field?
Oncology hospitalist FTW. That way, even if you don't match, you have a real job.