One Road Block Afer Another

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kyahrm

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice please! I'm at the point where I just want to give up!

I graduated in 2011 with a Biology: Pre-Med degree. I have a applied to schools the last two years knowing my GPA was pretty low and I had a slim chance of getting in but decided to try anyways. Naturally, was rejected both years. This year I have decided I am going to suck it up and retake classes. I have been talking to several schools and each of them tells me even if I retake classes, my GPA will not be high enough or that they only accept 2 re-takes or have a limit on re-takes meaning my GPA will still not be high enough.

I don't want to play the blame game here but my college/advisor really didn't set me up for success. I wish I had known back then what I know now. My anatomy and physiology classes did not have labs with them. When I transferred after my freshman year, they substituted a second biology class for microbiology/ethology/cell biology which do not have labs. Now, I am realizing most schools require two biology classes with labs and I have one.

Here are my stats:

Cum. GPA 3.28

Biology I: C/P Lab
Chem I: C+/A Lab
Chem II: C/A Lab
Physics I: C/B+ Lab
Physics II: C/B Lab
Anatomy & Phys I: B-
Anatomy & Phys II: C+
Biostatistics: A
Exercise Physiology: A
Kinesiology: A
Gen Psych: B-
Dev. Psych: A

Currenltly working as a Rehab Tech at an Inpatient hospital for the last two years. Have over 2000 hours of observation in several different settings. Great recommendation letters.

GRE (taken 3 times)
V: 144
Q: 145
Writing: 4.0 (4.5 on previous try)

Can anyone help me with some schools that will accept several retakes? It just doesn't seem to make sense that they would turn people away who are dedicated and trying to make themselves better by putting a limit on how many classes they can retake. I am signed up to start retaking physics this fall but am unsure now of what I should do with schools putting a limit on retakes.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

@kyahrm:

Indiana University allows up to 15 credit hours of prerequisite repeats with the highest grade counting, and uses Verbal GRE only in admission decisions. We take the highest Verbal GRE score.

For us you would need labs for anatomy and physiology, and we would recommend repeating other courses with C or C+ grades. There are literally over 250 PT programs in the US, so there are many options for you to consider. Check the enrolled statistics with APTA and apply broadly once you are eligible.

Good luck to you.

Josh Morrison
Director, Student Enrollment Services
IU School of Health & Rehabilitation Sciences, IUPUI
www.shrs.iupui.edu
[email protected]

Retake your C classes and take care of your lab requirements. Study and retake your GRE's. You want >155+ each section. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Retake your C classes and take care of your lab requirements. Study and retake your GRE's. You want >155+ each section. Good luck.

This is a good, simple answer. If you look around, you'll see that you need to significantly raise your pre-req GPA, along with your cumulative GPA. In my experience, many schools accept multiple retakes. I think most of the schools I applied to use all highest grades in the event of retakes.

As for the GRE, what I learned was "The GRE isn't a measure of how much you learned in college, it's a measure of how much you studied for the GRE." So knowing that, buy a GRE book, study hard for a month, and retake them.

You need to spend the next year raising those pre-requisites to all B's. You could probably get a couple C+'s but I wouldn't take any chances. You should aim to get your pre-req GPA >3.5.

The only thing that disturbs me is that you've taken the GRE three times and have failed to exceed 300 points, and your writing score decreased the third time you took it. You need to get that score about 300 points.

Schools do like to see dedication, but they also need to know that the applicants they accept can handle PT school. It sounds unfair but it's true.

Kevin