One of kaplan's quiz questions..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ari1584

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So the question was something like this: If malignant tumors blocked all of a person's lymphatic channels, what would happen:

A) There would be increased leakage of fluid from capillaries into the extracellular space

B) Increased fluid pressure in extracellular spaces = Correct Answer

I chose A because i thought that balancing the hydrostatic vs. osmotic pressures, if the lymphatic system cannot pick up the extra fluid, it would be drawn into the extracellular space from the capillaries. Is this incorrect?

Members don't see this ad.

So the question was something like this: If malignant tumors blocked all of a person's lymphatic channels, what would happen:

A) There would be increased leakage of fluid from capillaries into the extracellular space

B) Increased fluid pressure in extracellular spaces = Correct Answer

I chose A because i thought that balancing the hydrostatic vs. osmotic pressures, if the lymphatic system cannot pick up the extra fluid, it would be drawn into the extracellular space from the capillaries. Is this incorrect?

The fluid leakage from a capillary depends on the hydrostatic pressure which is not related to the lymphatic pressure, so there shouldn't be any increase in leakage no matter what's going on in the lymphatics.
Since the leaked fluid goes into extra-cellular space first & then into the lymphatics, it would make sense that there would be a backup of fluid in the extra-cellular space.
Note that this increased fluid in the extra-cellular space will eventually start to balance the hydrostatic pressure & so cause a decrease in the leakage amount.

ever heard of elephantiasis? some people call it elephantitis (but that would be inflammation of the elephant!). anyway, this is caused by a parasite (filarial worm) which likes to hang out in lymphatic vessels causing fluid backup in extracellular space. google it and check out some pictures!