One interview, in love with surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SKaminski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The title pretty much describes the situation I'm in. Here's the full details.

DO student. Bottom quartile.
Step 1: 216 (below average)
COMLEX 1 : 543 (above average)
COMLEX 2 : Waiting for score back ( I took it late )
One red flag on MSPE (Dean's letter): Failed the practice test for COMLEX 2 twice (didn't study), which is why it had to be pushed back. Passed it the third time.
Zero research.
Vice president of one club, volunteer coordinator of another.

So. I'm in love with surgery, and i'm willing to do whatever it takes to get in. I applied to Gen Surg and OB/GYN (as backup), and applied to 303 programs. I applied VERY broadly.

I have gotten one general surgery interview, and one OB / GYN interview. i'm freaking out and trying to figure out what to do and how to do it. I left a successful career in computer programming for this, and i'd honestly rather go back to being a programmer than to practice internal / family medicine.

I fell in love with being in the OR, and OB/GYN is a distant second. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to make my dreams. Should I talk to military recruiters about openings in military residencies, and then serve? What can I do? I am willing to move and/or do whatever it takes.

Members don't see this ad.

As I don't know the total number of surgery programs in the country, sorry if this is a silly question: did you also apply to prelim surgery positions? Is your interview a categorical or prelim position? Are there still DO programs/match that people can apply to and did you apply to them?

Sorry to hear about your dilemma, man.

I’m thinking the red flags on your ap may have spooked a lot of the programs.

Did you apply to both ACGME and AOA?

Did you apply preliminary surg as well?

How about audition rotation and home program? Do you have a program director for surg at your school? Did you begin late in the game?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget that you can be in the OR through ob/gyn.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Should I talk to military recruiters about openings in military residencies, and then serve? What can I do? I am willing to move and/or do whatever it takes.

The short answer to this part is no. The long answer can be found by exploring the Military Medicine area of this forum, but bottom line generalization is that if you aren't competitive in the civilian world, you won't be competitive for a military residency--and you'll incur all kinds of new headaches you never knew existed.