one hour short of the o-chem requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

handprint

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 7 semester hours of organic chemistry coursework, which includes these courses:

1. The first-semester course at the school where I graduated, which included lecture and laboratory, and was worth 4 semester hours.

2. The second-semester lecture course at my current school, which was worth 3 hours.

I thought I had to take two semesters of lab, so I enrolled in the first-semester lab class. I couldn't go directly to the second-semester class because my current school thinks that my previous course wasn't equivalent to its lab course. (As far as I can tell, the difference was that my previous course didn't cover spectroscopy at all.) Also, the second-semester class is listed in the catalog as "Chemistry majors only or instructor consent."

Then I found out THIS WEEK that I misunderstood that requirement. So, really, the only reason for me to take this course is that I have 7 hours of credit and most schools require 8. (I actually do like lab, but I can think of a few better [and less stressful] things to do with my time. :rolleyes:) I don't think I have any other way to earn that one hour of credit.

So, my questions are: Do I really have to take this course, even though it's mostly a repetition of material that I've already learned? If I have 7 hours, will schools automatically reject me?

Members don't see this ad.

Some (most?) schools require "one year of each pre req with labs" and do not list the requirement in terms of hours.

You really need to go school-by-school to find out where you stand. Start with their websites, and send emails to them asking for clarification.

Did you try to get instructor consent? I would be surprised if you got turned down for a 2nd semester lab if you have taken the corresponding lecture...something not adding up here.

I have 7 semester hours of organic chemistry coursework, which includes these courses:

1. The first-semester course at the school where I graduated, which included lecture and laboratory, and was worth 4 semester hours.

2. The second-semester lecture course at my current school, which was worth 3 hours.

I thought I had to take two semesters of lab, so I enrolled in the first-semester lab class. I couldn't go directly to the second-semester class because my current school thinks that my previous course wasn't equivalent to its lab course. (As far as I can tell, the difference was that my previous course didn't cover spectroscopy at all.) Also, the second-semester class is listed in the catalog as "Chemistry majors only or instructor consent."

Then I found out THIS WEEK that I misunderstood that requirement. So, really, the only reason for me to take this course is that I have 7 hours of credit and most schools require 8. (I actually do like lab, but I can think of a few better [and less stressful] things to do with my time. :rolleyes:) I don't think I have any other way to earn that one hour of credit.

So, my questions are: Do I really have to take this course, even though it's mostly a repetition of material that I've already learned? If I have 7 hours, will schools automatically reject me?

It doesn't look like you have met the Organic Chemistry requirement. It's a requirement and you are likely going to be screened out pre-secondary if you don't meet the requirements for admission. You either take the coursework or you don't.

If the material is so repetitive for you, then you will have no problem earning an A and improving your uGPA. Unless you are sitting on a 4.0, any course that adds to your GPA is a good course.

Meet with the instructors and figure out the best way for you to meet and exceed the Organic Chemistry requirements to apply to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spectroscopy is important for the MCAT and so are the lab techniques. If for no other reason, I would recommend taking the lab, even if you have to retake the lecture to do so. If it's all review, you should be able to show up for exams and do fine.

Some (most?) schools require "one year of each pre req with labs" and do not list the requirement in terms of hours.

You really need to go school-by-school to find out where you stand. Start with their websites, and send emails to them asking for clarification.

Did you try to get instructor consent? I would be surprised if you got turned down for a 2nd semester lab if you have taken the corresponding lecture...something not adding up here.

There are a lot of schools that list their requirements in terms of semester or quarter hours (e.g., all of the UCs except UCLA), either in the MSAR or on their websites. The "two semesters of lecture, one semester of lab" sequence for biology majors at my school is worth 8 hours, which satisfies the requirement at most schools. I didn't realize that until after classes had started this semester.

You're right, I didn't try to get instructor consent, mainly because it's been four years since I took the first-semester course and I didn't think I would be ready to take the second-semester course right off the bat (even if they let me in). I was unclear about that in my original post, sorry. I did have my syllabus evaluated to see if my original course was equivalent to their two first-semester courses (lecture + lab), and they said it wasn't. The point is, I was taking this course mainly because I thought I had to take the second semester of lab.

It doesn't look like you have met the Organic Chemistry requirement. It's a requirement and you are likely going to be screened out pre-secondary if you don't meet the requirements for admission. You either take the coursework or you don't.

That's pretty much what I thought. Getting screened out was what I was worried about. So, basically, I enrolled in the course for the wrong reason, but I need to take it anyway.

Thanks for answering.

I second both these comments. You DEFINITELY need 2nd semester lab to do well on the MCAT, because many questions revolve around spec, separations and purifications, etc. And you should certainly be able to take the lab course by itself if you've completed the entire orgo lecture sequence--it would be really bizarre to make you repeat the lecture just to take the lab. Make sure you're persistent in getting the permission you need.