On the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lokhtar

Dreaming about the lions
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated college with a 3.4 cum. and 2.6 sci. However, my overall GPA was a 3.8 in the last 50 credits (not pretty before then, including F in an advanced math class post-calculus).

I started a post bac that will allow me to take all the pre-requisites in one year, and so far I have a 3.91 through two terms (two more to go). Assuming, I keep at least a 3.85 overall through it, my overall will be a 3.52 and my science will be a 3.30.

After that, I have the choice of applying with that, or taking one year of advanced courses. If I do the latter, I can bring my GPA to 3.58 overall and 3.5 science.

My upward trend at that point will be crazy (three years of 3.8+ to make up for first three years of ****). Is it worth doing that extra year if my overall will barely move from 3.52 to 3.58? My science will move from 3.30 to 3.50 though.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated college with a 3.4 cum. and 2.6 sci. However, my overall GPA was a 3.8 in the last 50 credits (not pretty before then, including F in an advanced math class post-calculus).

I started a post bac that will allow me to take all the pre-requisites in one year, and so far I have a 3.91 through two terms (two more to go). Assuming, I keep at least a 3.85 overall through it, my overall will be a 3.52 and my science will be a 3.30.

After that, I have the choice of applying with that, or taking one year of advanced courses. If I do the latter, I can bring my GPA to 3.58 overall and 3.5 science.

My upward trend at that point will be crazy (three years of 3.8+ to make up for first three years of ****). Is it worth doing that extra year if my overall will barely move from 3.52 to 3.58? My science will move from 3.30 to 3.50 though.

Tough call. The overall GPA wouldn't move much, but that science GPA would go up a decent amount. Do you have the resources to apply this year? Personally, I would go for it on the chance of getting in somewhere. But I would also plan out that extra year on the chance I didn't get in anywhere. If you don't get in this year, though, you're out the ~$1500 in application fees, travel, etc. But if you do get in, you saved yourself cash the extra year would have cost. Just my 2 cents.

Personally, I think you should apply after doing one more year of classes and after you've improved your science GPA. Here's why: A lot of medical schools (specifically UChicago and AECOM) nowadays place more emphasis on your science or BCMP GPA than your overall GPA. The reason why is because it's hard enough for a medical school to make a fair GPA comparison between two different undergrad schools. Throw in the hundreds of different majors that are out there and the medical schools are going to need to find a way to standardize the GPA from each of the schools. They do that by evaluating your science GPA OR they add your science GPA to your overall GPA to get the average. That being said, you may have a shot applying early with a science GPA of 3.3 (you could certainly get into a school if you have a high MCAT given your upward trend). However, I would wait until I've completed all of my classes and apply with the highest possible GPA so as to maximize my chances of getting accepted at more schools.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey,

Yeah that's an interesting question. I think you are getting into the realm of the very individual. What I mean is, what if I'm loaded. I might say throw your money down, bro! If you don't get in just keep plodding along and apply the next year. But if you're not you will have taken your savings and thrown them on the table without the ability to make as strong as a move the next year.

What I think is stupid about this online universe is people--even people in the know--make all kinds of universal prescriptions and proclamations as if they should be taken out of hand uncritically. So that your call here is where and when to put your own money down. It's a risk/resource assessment that is highly personal. I think the cold mf'n truth is that there ain't nobody here that can tell you the odds, or what you're money means to your situation. You may even get one of our resident advisers from on high to come down and spit some Biblical verse at you. But guess what, you're the one that's got the bill to pay come judgment day.

Now it seems to me your worth as a student is not proven by an extra year of science classes since you will have 2 years of a rockin sci. gpa. Two years of science classes seems to speak for itself. But there is the mystery of randomness at work. Does your app get screened out to a greater extent with the sub 3.5 sci gpa as it is cut adrift amongst the thousands of other apps. Impossible to say.

I would consider paying $200-300 for a consultation with an expert. Why? Because then they have a stake in their advice. I don't trust the feigned benevolence of this sample population which has a distinct tendency towards player hating. When you retain your own personnel you will get some serious calculated advice. Try Jessica Freedman, MD with mededits. I won her services in a raffle here on SDN and her work is tight. I never would have paid for this service, but knowing what I know now I am going to pay for a 1 or 2 hour interview practice with her if I am lucky enough to get that far.

Good luck man. I'm still working on getting the information about classes being offered at the Extension School.

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of applications isn't that high, so I might as well apply. If I don't get in, then I'll have better science GPA, and more ECs with which to try again next year, though I'll have the 're-applicant' stigma (if one exists).

Of course, it might also depend on what I get on my MCAT? If I ace it, I may apply. If it turns out that it is average or below, then I need to wait another year anyway, to improve both GPA and MCAT.

And I'll definitely get that consulting service, though I think I'll wait till after I get my MCAT and finish my pre-requisites, so I can go to them with a bit more substantive information.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

In the grand scheme of things, the cost of applications isn't that high, so I might as well apply. If I don't get in, then I'll have better science GPA, and more ECs with which to try again next year, though I'll have the 're-applicant' stigma (if one exists).

Of course, it might also depend on what I get on my MCAT? If I ace it, I may apply. If it turns out that it is average or below, then I need to wait another year anyway, to improve both GPA and MCAT.

And I'll definitely get that consulting service, though I think I'll wait till after I get my MCAT and finish my pre-requisites, so I can go to them with a bit more substantive information.

Does that sound like a reasonable plan?

It sounds like you're working through your own criteria in a very reasonable and adroit manner.

You will effectively negate any reapplicant issues because you will be working in a very concerted way to improve your app. Yeah, I would wait until I had everything cocked and loaded before getting a consult. She is really helping me so much with my personal statement. But I'm all set except for the MCAT so I'm in the right position to be getting my ducks in a row now.