On perusing the Derm forum...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pili

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I find that very few people post there trying to help or share. Is there such a thing as a "derm" personality? The thought has occurred to me that many people posting here on IM have the stats and credentials to match any derm program, yet the personality is different. I myself have been backstabbed by a future derm in med school :rolleyes: , who no doubt did not believe I wanted to do IM. Funny, because the thought of doing derm never crossed my mind. I find IM encompasses derm and then some.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe it is because derm is so competitve and people think that if they help and share that they will be hurt in some way. IM is much less competitive and i think more people have the abundance theory, there are plenty of good programs and helping others doesn't change the fact that there is still a good program for you.

Pili said:
I find that very few people post there trying to help or share. Is there such a thing as a "derm" personality? The thought has occurred to me that many people posting here on IM have the stats and credentials to match any derm program, yet the personality is different. I myself have been backstabbed by a future derm in med school :rolleyes: , who no doubt did not believe I wanted to do IM. Funny, because the thought of doing derm never crossed my mind. I find IM encompasses derm and then some.

Pili said:

I interviewed at a program in which 1/2 of applicants that day were prelims. It was the only bad experience that I've had with other students on an interview, and unfortunately tainted my image of the program. The majority of the prelims were unfriendly and disinterested, so they made no attempt to speak to anyone unfamiliar to them. I found it easy to pick out the prelims from the categoricals by their reaction to my attempts at conversation- and guess what specialty the majority were gunning for- DERM. One categorical had a great one liner when asked by a prelim why he was going for IM- "I'm actually interested in working hard during my career in medicine." The best part was that he was being honest, not sarcastic.