Rad Onc forum tells me the job market is dead, should IM residents jump ship for cardiology/GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sallyhasanidea

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Med onc starting to get as saturated as rad onc in certain locales with an increased reliance on mid-levels to help run things/supervise chemo etc

Not much more to expand on. In my area of practice, some of the med onc groups have stopped hiring new physicians and have been hiring NPs/extenders

Is this true? How is the job market doing now? Any experience from graduating fellows?

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Is this true? How is the job market doing now? Any experience from graduating fellows?
The market has been great. @gutonc is actually involved in hiring for his practice so I’ll let him weigh in. But I can tell you from
My direct experience and the experience of my colleagues hem/onc is hot right now (particularly pre covid)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh please job market for med onc is on fire.

I was wondering why whoknows2012 showed up in the rad onc forum... Lol

Rad onc job market is kind of like a fire... A dumpster fire.

Reactions: 3 users
Oh...this thread again. Can you please just stop already?

To answer your question, I am personally hiring for 3-4 positions in the next 12-18 months (1 to replace a partner moving 2000 miles away to be closer to family, one to replace a retiring partner, 1-2 for expansion).

Of the 5 other non-academic groups in my "hot" metro area, I'm aware of at least 7 currently open positions. The University is currently recruiting for AML, BMT/Cell therapy, myeloma, breast, melanoma, lung, Head/Neck and Phase 1.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Some of the rad onc residents I know have straight up told me "I wish I did med onc". Yeah no one I know graduating from decent med onc programs have any trouble finding a job, even in desirable areas

lol, just so we're clear - in a rad onc forum thread where they're speculating on how they would go about switching into med onc instead, there was one guy who stated that the med onc market was bad (and even then, hedged and said "some" of the med onc groups)? Is that really what you're bringing to the table here to discuss, without any sort of irony?

I'm a graduating fellow. The market is fine right now.

But it sounds like you're at least 6 years away from practicing if you subspecialize since you're an MS4? Who knows what the market will be like in any sort of field from now until then. To choose between pretty different specialties based on that seems a little ridiculous.

You may just have to, you know, choose what you like, or something.

Reactions: 2 users
Oh...this thread again. Can you please just stop already?

To answer your question, I am personally hiring for 3-4 positions in the next 12-18 months (1 to replace a partner moving 2000 miles away to be closer to family, one to replace a retiring partner, 1-2 for expansion).

Of the 5 other non-academic groups in my "hot" metro area, I'm aware of at least 7 currently open positions. The University is currently recruiting for AML, BMT/Cell therapy, myeloma, breast, melanoma, lung, Head/Neck and Phase 1.

Any change in sentiment following GLSI's trial data for "GP2"? Are fellows/oncs worried about their career prospects with these types of advancements?

Why? People are still going to get cancer and need treatment. Did you even read the poster?
..and need to have per NCCN, a quarterly, biannually and annual follow ups.

..and need to have per NCCN, a quarterly, biannually and annual follow ups.

That NPs will inevitably end up doing in survivorship clinic.

Gut Onc do you see future practice models switching from 80/20 physician/midlevel to 50/50 physician midlevel?

These guys from the recruitment firms won't stop blowing up my phone during clinic. The market sure doesn't seem saturated to me.
Cancer rate is like stonks. Only goes up.

Reactions: 1 user

Gut Onc do you see future practice models switching from 80/20 physician/midlevel to 50/50 physician midlevel?
I'm not sure how many times I have to tell you no. Are you not paying attention, or do you just not want to listen?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I really think the OP has a very serious problem of indecisiveness and doubting Thomas syndrome. Not so great trait for an IM resident, Fellow, oncologist or work colleague. Its a fools errand to attempt to accurately predict a specific job prospect years from now as there several forces in play. And while you are at it, please factor-in AI assault on future physician jobs.

It might help to think about this as if you’re asking if we see a future where we can offer a long term, treatment-free cure for half of all cancer patients.

I don’t actually know what that number currently is tbh (would love if someone could provide info on this in the grand scheme) but I don’t see 50% of patients ending up in a surveillance clinic anytime soon, unfortunately.