On Match Week

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Match Week begins.

I wonder how long our matches have sat in some idle hard drive. Somewhere, that decision has been made, and has been passed over by human eyes, checking and double-checking the computerized process that unites each applicant with a residency. Shadows may have been moving behind the curtain since the submission of all the rank order lists, but the gears of that machine don’t shift until tomorrow, letting each applicant know whether or not they matched at all and then, with the turning of new cogs and the sputtering of new exhausts, it will roll down the path that leads to Match Day. In many ways, tomorrow is as monumental as Friday for those who do not match. It will propel them into a week-long expedition which was traditionally called the “scramble,” but now is more pleasantly called SOAP (Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program). New trials await some of us before Friday.

My wife and I have hoped and prayed not only that we match where we want, not only that we match where God wants, but that we match at all. As the day sits just beyond the horizon, a nervous thought persists in my mind, reminding me that I don’t know that I have matched.

I spent four years in college with the ultimate aim of eventually getting into medical school. I endured classes on plant systematics and physics to satisfy the criteria of my degree, each step more difficult yet taken with more resoluteness than the one before it. My MCAT score is only a dusty number on a shelf now. Celebratory shouts and smiles upon my acceptance to medical school are remembered fondly. After the novelty had worn off, I remember studying for my first exam in medical school. Dizzy, I looked to the ceiling and thought, “What have I gotten myself into?” Those two years were plodding, tiresome, and grueling; the next two years were taken at a sprint. All four were, as many say, a “drink from a fire hose.”

I have, of course, oversimplified the process. In relating the academics, I neglected to include friendships, deaths, holidays, failures, awards, literature, marriage, and God. It’s impossible to discern if I would be where I am now without, especially, my wife, my family, and God himself. Would I be awaiting Match Day like I am now? But here we are. Match Week! It’s upon us!

I almost wrote that it has "all come down to this," but it hasn’t. We aren’t at the bottom of where “this” might be. Even at the end of residency we still won’t be at the bottom of it all. At the end of our lives, we won’t be at the bottom of it all. It goes on and on, for the glory of God, forever and ever.

As I reflect upon the myriad of computations that present each applicant with their vague direction tomorrow and marching orders Friday, I’m reminded of biblical wisdom:

Proverbs 16:33
The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.

Members don't see this ad.

Match Week begins.

I wonder how long our matches have sat in some idle hard drive. Somewhere, that decision has been made, and has been passed over by human eyes, checking and double-checking the computerized process that unites each applicant with a residency. Shadows may have been moving behind the curtain since the submission of all the rank order lists, but the gears of that machine don't shift until tomorrow, letting each applicant know whether or not they matched at all and then, with the turning of new cogs and the sputtering of new exhausts, it will roll down the path that leads to Match Day. In many ways, tomorrow is as monumental as Friday for those who do not match. It will propel them into a week-long expedition which was traditionally called the "scramble," but now is more pleasantly called SOAP (Supplemental Offer and Acceptance Program). New trials await some of us before Friday.

My wife and I have hoped and prayed not only that we match where we want, not only that we match where God wants, but that we match at all. As the day sits just beyond the horizon, a nervous thought persists in my mind, reminding me that I don't know that I have matched.

I spent four years in college with the ultimate aim of eventually getting into medical school. I endured classes on plant systematics and physics to satisfy the criteria of my degree, each step more difficult yet taken with more resoluteness than the one before it. My MCAT score is only a dusty number on a shelf now. Celebratory shouts and smiles upon my acceptance to medical school are remembered fondly. After the novelty had worn off, I remember studying for my first exam in medical school. Dizzy, I looked to the ceiling and thought, "What have I gotten myself into?" Those two years were plodding, tiresome, and grueling; the next two years were taken at a sprint. All four were, as many say, a "drink from a fire hose."

I have, of course, oversimplified the process. In relating the academics, I neglected to include friendships, deaths, holidays, failures, awards, literature, marriage, and God. It's impossible to discern if I would be where I am now without, especially, my wife, my family, and God himself. Would I be awaiting Match Day like I am now? But here we are. Match Week! It's upon us!

I almost wrote that it has "all come down to this," but it hasn't. We aren't at the bottom of where "this" might be. Even at the end of residency we still won't be at the bottom of it all. At the end of our lives, we won't be at the bottom of it all. It goes on and on, for the glory of God, forever and ever.

As I reflect upon the myriad of computations that present each applicant with their vague direction tomorrow and marching orders Friday, I'm reminded of biblical wisdom:

Proverbs 16:33
The lot is cast into the lap,
but its every decision is from the Lord.

Mostly nice post, but much like god probably doesn't micromanage football games, s/he probably doesn't micromanage the match. There are people with bigger problems in this world. This one is for mortals (and computers to sort out). Good luck.

well said, Law. let's not invoke the divine in something as trivial as the match, when there are much, much bigger issues facing our world.

Actually, I agree with the OP; I believe that the hand of God has been very much evident in my medical school career and, ultimately, in my whole life. There are numerous Bible verses that speak about how God cares about even the little details of our lives. To each his own opinion as always, just wanted to add my voice to the idea that the course of my life and my destination for the next four years is in the hands of Someone much wiser and kinder than I could ever be, and I'm so glad for it.

Great post, OP! Best wishes to you and your wife!

Cool story, bro.

Sorry folks - the Match is firmly in the noodly appendages of the FSM. God isn't deciding this one.

Sorry folks - the Match is firmly in the noodly appendages of the FSM. God isn't deciding this one.

May the Flying Spaghetti Monster dribble his lovely red meat sauce all over your thankful embrace.

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you.

-BAMF

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy My brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay My vengeance upon you.

-BAMF

Nice job, I'm pretty sure you quoted Pulp Fiction verbatim. You're good at this copying thing. So proud of you little boy. :love:

Nice job, I'm pretty sure you quoted Pulp Fiction verbatim. You're good at this copying thing. So proud of you little boy. :love:

Was there any doubt? I can quote some poems and plays verbatim, but sadly I cannot quote scripture for my purposes, so I guess you can't guess my name and I'm not pleased to meet you.

There are numerous Bible verses that speak about how God cares about even the little details of our lives. To each his own opinion as always, just wanted to add my voice to the idea that the course of my life and my destination for the next four years is in the hands of Someone much wiser and kinder than I could ever be, and I'm so glad for it.

Indeed, I agree. But it's not just the lives of the faithful that rest in God's hands, but the lives of everyone.

Some may think football games and the Match are cosmologically insignificant, but as you indicated in saying that there are many Bible verses that cite God's concern for details, they would do well to remember that not one sparrow falls to the ground apart from the will of God (Matthew 10:29).

But it's not just the lives of the faithful that rest in God's hands, but the lives of everyone.

That's arrogantly presumptuous of anyone to believe.

Indeed, I agree. But it's not just the lives of the faithful that rest in God's hands, but the lives of everyone.

Some may think football games and the Match are cosmologically insignificant, but as you indicated in saying that there are many Bible verses that cite God's concern for details, they would do well to remember that not one sparrow falls to the ground apart from the will of God (Matthew 10:29).

Religious beliefs are like penises. Many people have them, and it's alright to enjoy them in your own home and even have pride in yours. Just don't go waving them around in public.

If god is involved in each detail of everyday life then how can we explain the church sex scandals or that abused child that just showed up in the ED? For my money, a slightly less hands on view makes more sense. Either way, one thing I think we can all agree on is that this medical forum is a totally appropriate platform to proselytize.

If god is involved in each detail of everyday life then how can we explain the church sex scandals or that abused child that just showed up in the ED? For my money, a slightly less hands on view makes more sense. Either way, one thing I think we can all agree on is that this medical forum is a totally appropriate platform to proselytize.

In my original post, I was glorifying God for something many people glorify themselves. It's silly to pander to the lowest common denominator (e.g., secularism, naturalism) in any given public discourse if it doesn't represent the truth.

I agree, though, that this isn't the best place to discuss, say, the problem of evil and how it relates to Christianity.

Anyway, I truly hope Match week goes well for everyone. :D

Last edited:
Religious beliefs are like penises. Many people have them, and it's alright to enjoy them in your own home and even have pride in yours. Just don't go waving them around in public.

hahah not only an Entourage user name, but this quote too?! if this was twitter, my hash tag right now might be something like #thatwasawesome

Simple, God has a sick sense of humor.

It might behoove you to rememer that a significant proportion of the world's population does not belive in the New Testament.

At the risk of losing some anonymity...I present, our gift to the class of 2012.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjzL319yZc&context=C43a532aADvjVQa1PpcFOx044_s7NKob0MXacmFf6SXXmayx5Cj94=[/youtube]

At the risk of losing some anonymity...I present, our gift to the class of 2012.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yjzL319yZc&context=C43a532aADvjVQa1PpcFOx044_s7NKob0MXacmFf6SXXmayx5Cj94=[/youtube]

LMAO. Harvard, Stanford, Mayo, and Hopkins? Ha, must be a Columbia student.

It's silly to pander to the lowest common denominator (e.g., secularism, naturalism) in any given public discourse if it doesn't represent the truth.

Please, please tell me this is a joke.

Right?

Please, please tell me this is a joke.

Right?

Nope, he's not joking. If you're in SOAP, remember not only to submit your application through ERAS, but also through GOD. You're unlikely to get any response, but you should still do it. Probably. I mean, it can't hurt right? I think GOD requires Step II CS scores though.

LMAO. Harvard, Stanford, Mayo, and Hopkins? Ha, must be a Columbia student.

Nope, DO actually.

The programs were chosen mostly at random, but also because they're a) easily identifiable by pretty much everyone, and b) on many people's rank lists, and c) they fit the original lyrics rhythmically.

"Why Mayo" was mostly because of the cold and the suits, lol. I originally was going to cut in a picture of some suit-type guys there, but opted not to.

Stanford was a friendly jab at my recent ER preceptor who went there for undergrad...

Last edited:
It might behoove you to rememer that a significant proportion of the world's population does not belive in the New Testament.

It might behoove you to remember that a significant portion of american does

It might behoove you to remember that a significant portion of american does

A significant portion of the United States also believes the Earth is ~6000 years old and that the Earth is bigger than the Sun. A majority does not believe in evolution.

People should be doing less arguing about religion, and more watching my video with dirty words in it.

A significant portion of the United States also believes the Earth is ~6000 years old and that the Earth is bigger than the Sun. A majority does not believe in evolution.

Funny anecdote: my friend from college recently moved down south from the northeast, and he was having trouble meeting girls so he signed up for OkCupid, the free dating site. They have a bunch of questions you can answer and see how your potential mates answered them (they are multiple choice or yes/no types), and one that he sees regularly is:

"Which is larger, the earth or the sun?"

He said he's obviously just one person looking, but that about 75% of the girls he sees on that site have answered "the earth." They also have a spot to select whether or not you're willing to date someone who answers differently than you for each individual question, and often times the girls have checked that they refuse to date someone who disagrees that the earth is larger.

Funny anecdote: my friend from college recently moved down south from the northeast, and he was having trouble meeting girls so he signed up for OkCupid, the free dating site. They have a bunch of questions you can answer and see how your potential mates answered them (they are multiple choice or yes/no types), and one that he sees regularly is:

"Which is larger, the earth or the sun?"

He said he's obviously just one person looking, but that about 75% of the girls he sees on that site have answered "the earth." They also have a spot to select whether or not you're willing to date someone who answers differently than you for each individual question, and often times the girls have checked that they refuse to date someone who disagrees that the earth is larger.

You should read the okcupid blog - it's pretty informative. They do a lot of interesting analyses with their dataset, including some controversial stuff about religion, sexuality, and race.

Blog.okcupid.com I believe.

An example from the OK Cupid blog...

Proper spelling and grammar: teach teh controversy!

MegaChart2.png

MegaChart2.png

Looks like there are some smart not so serious Buddhists out there.

And why is it that no group made it past 9th grade?

Some more thoughts, from the middle of Match Week:

Just as the Match is a harbinger of change, it is also a harbinger of future challenges and a monument to those we have overcome. It is at the place one matches that they will face their first successes and failures as a physician. It is at that place that one will face the fear of a life-threatening error. It is at that place that one will struggle through nights of chaos in the emergency department. It’s amazing how much potential energy exists in the small letter that indicates where a medical student will spend the next chapter of their training. Only God knows what exactly will happen, but we know challenges are ahead.

One of the hallmarks of being an intern is their ignorance despite four years of medical training (and whatever other experiences they might have tucked away in their minds). That is part of what makes residency challenging - not only are we assuming mighty responsibilities, but we’re doing so with incomplete knowledge. Which is fine; we’re supposed to be learning. But we will experience growing pains. I speak from ignorance myself, as I haven’t yet experienced it but I discern as much from the lives of those who have gone before me. I look forward with some mixture of excitement, anxiety, and hope.

Not only that, but the Match, as with any milestone, reminds us to look back and consider the challenges we have overcome to reach this point. In so doing, we either glorify ourselves or we glorify God. Was it in the strength God gave me that I persevered, or was it in strength that I thought was self-wrought? Consider the sovereign will of God:

Matthew 10:29-31
Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. But even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Nothing is cosmologically insignificant and apart from God, all challenges are insurmountable challenges. In our sinful state, our standing isn’t only morally corrupt, but epistemologically corrupt (Romans 1:21). It is only by the common grace of God that we aren’t as sinful as we could be, and thus even sinners can discover pieces of truth. In so doing, they formulate mathematical equations, pass exams, accurately inspect bridges, and live their lives contrary to their own espoused philosophies.

By God’s grace we have made it to the Match. By God’s grace we apprehended the truth of cardiac physiology. By God’s grace we can understand the pharmacologic principles of antibiotics. Some will say it was their Step I score that got them to the Match while others say it was their savviness during their interviews. Still others will claim that it was because of the support of their friends and family that they made it this far. All these are true in a superficial way, but not ultimately. It is through those things that God provides the means of success. If I succeed, then I have really succeeded but I have done so in the strength God has provided. Indeed, even If I fail, then I have really failed, but it is because in God’s sovereign wisdom, he has not allowed me to succeed.

If not one sparrow falls apart from his will, then not one medical student matches apart from that will either.

Reactions: 1 user
However, if god does not exist - which is by far the more likely scenario - that all flies out the window.

That said, I appreciate the importance in finding something we can each count on to keep us sane through this difficult process.

You should read the okcupid blog - it's pretty informative. They do a lot of interesting analyses with their dataset, including some controversial stuff about religion, sexuality, and race.

Blog.okcupid.com I believe.

Wow, that is a great blog. Extremely entertaining. They have a lot of information at their fingertips, it's cool to see that they are stratifying it!

MegaChart2.png

So that explains why Lisa Simpson is a not so serious Buddhist.

Though I don't understand why the highest is just above a 9th grade reading level. I'm assuming the site is not fully of high school freshmen. Our education system makes me sad.

I'm glad to know God was the one who helped us "apprehend" our knowledge of cardiovascular physiology. Did he have it burnt at the stake, or was that just appropriate for people who insist the Earth orbits the Sun?