??? on CK = 240 on Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ascultator

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've heard 240 on Step 1 is oft considered the "magic score".

What about for CK?

also anyone know the latest mean score for CK?

thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There is no magic score because it is generally not available to program directors to use as a cutoff for interviews because people take it too late.

EDIT: I should add that the idea that there is a magic Step I score for everyone (and that the magic score is 240) is nearly as ridiculous.

both the mean and 75th percentile for step2 tends to be about 4-5 points higher than step1. a step1 240 is probably similar to a step2 245, but it's my impression that step2 isn't esteemed enough by programs to have a "magic number" associated with it. as long as your step2 doesn't make step1 look like a fluke, i think the step1 does most of the talking for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
The August 2007 CK mean was 221 with a standard deviation of 24. The fact that there is so much variability in this (mean, st dev) model distorts the meaning of the scores. My April 2006 Step 1 mean was 216 +/- 20 which is not much better.

There is no magic score for CK that anyone talks about. The only thing that will make your score magical is if you improve...that and the 500 hundreds that magically leaves your bank account every year or two after you take another pathetic exam.

EDIT: I should add that the idea that there is a magic Step I score for everyone (and that the magic score is 240) is nearly as ridiculous.

Let's define Magic Score as "the score that will not close any doors to interviews at any program in any discipline."

I think 240 is a good number, or 250 for the paranoid.