On being bilingual? or trilingual?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pearclover

Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Hispanic female (both parents are Salvadoran) fluent in Spanish. I am currently learning French and German and going to test at the B2 level. I would get a certificate from the exam to prove it.

However, are these things worth mentioning on an application? As in would they make you a stronger candidate/set you apart?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
are these things worth mentioning on an application?
Yes, of course. One of the adcoms who posts here on SDN has said in the past that Spanish speaking skills are always appreciated.

You can list the languages you speak in the biographical information section of AMCAS. You specify your level of proficiency as well as the frequency with which you used each language at home - if you did at all.

I think it's not worth it to dedicate an entire activity section (out of the 15 you have) just to mention the languages you know, since you would have already mentioned them in the biographical info. Also, if you took college-level German and French classes, you will obviously have to list them in the courses/credits section, so your involvement with these languages will also be shown here.

If you have a specific activity and/or instances where you used one of the other languages you know to help other people (for example, your Spanish fluency to translate for patients), then you can list/expand on that in your activities section and/or essays.

Are you applying this cycle?

Last edited:
Only if you are ready to have an interviewer start speaking that language to you

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, of course. One of the adcoms who posts here on SDN has said in the past that Spanish speaking skills are always appreciated.

You can list the languages you speak in the biographical information section of AMCAS. You specify your level of proficiency as well as the frequency with which you used each language at home - if you did at all.

I think it's not worth it to dedicate an entire activity section (out of the 15 you have) just to mention the languages you know, since you would have already mentioned them in the biographical info. Also, if you took college-level German and French classes, you will obviously have to list them in the courses/credits section, so your involvement with these languages will also be shown here.

If you have a specific activity and/or instances where you used one of the other languages you know to help other people (for example, your Spanish fluency to translate for patients), then you can list/expand on that in your activities section and/or essays.

Are you applying this cycle?
Thank you. I’m not applying this cycle, just trying to plan ahead and work out my skills.

Only if you are ready to have an interviewer start speaking that language to you

Yes, a few medical schools recommend their applicants be able to converse in Spanish or be fluent. In my area there are some special medical school programs that require Spanish, and the interviews are done in Spanish. I want to apply to one such program.
I know of at least one fellowship that requires French.

Last edited: