This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whitwhit

BlackUnicorn17
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently got accepted into Pharmacy School (save your critical comments for another thread, i'll read them there).

My parents were born and raised in Nigeria, then came to the states for better education, so I was born and raised here (I have visited and lived in Nigeria for a fairly short amount of time though). I have always seen some of my peers (African ones) who have made their way into professional schools, but it is more difficult to meet or notice any Black or African-American people who have gone through, or who are currently in school.

So for the ones who have made it, can you talk about some interesting things you have experienced being in Pharmacy School (any school honestly)? Anything you are currently experiencing? Do you use awkward interactions as learning opportunities, or do you just shrug if off and keep it moving?

I would love to hear your comments!

Much Love

Members don't see this ad.

My dad was a Nigerian immigrant and went to pharm school in a red state in the 70s. He ended up switching to MD, but not till the very end. I'm not sure if his school-related experiences would be relevant to you since it was so long ago, but I can ask him about it if you want. Sadly, his experiences as a black man, especially a black immigrant, probably aren't all that different than they would be now.

Reactions: 1 user
My dad was a Nigerian immigrant and went to pharm school in a red state in the 70s. He ended up switching to MD, but not till the very end. I'm not sure if his school-related experiences would be relevant to you since it was so long ago, but I can ask him about it if you want. Sadly, his experiences as a black man, especially a black immigrant, probably aren't all that different than they would be now.

It would be awesome to hear from him, I do not mind at all.
Thank you!