OMS-1 Make Ankis from FA or Pathoma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spectreman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished first semester of M1 and was going to use FA to review Biochem because I feel like it went in one ear and out the other. I made Anki decks for every lecture, but my professors kind of sucked. So my thought was to go through FA Biochem and make Anki decks from that. Some are saying Pathoma would be a better resource to hit though?

Also, I tried using Firecracker during the semester and honestly hated it. I really am the kind of person that has to make their own decks or the material just doesn’t stick. Am I just using Firecracker wrong or does that sound like a common issue for many med students?

Members don't see this ad.

I just finished first semester of M1 and was going to use FA to review Biochem because I feel like it went in one ear and out the other. I made Anki decks for every lecture, but my professors kind of sucked. So my thought was to go through FA Biochem and make Anki decks from that. Some are saying Pathoma would be a better resource to hit though?

Also, I tried using Firecracker during the semester and honestly hated it. I really am the kind of person that has to make their own decks or the material just doesn’t stick. Am I just using Firecracker wrong or does that sound like a common issue for many med students?

Someone already did this for you. Look online for the Zanki deck.

Reactions: 1 user
I personally have never used Firecracker but I can relate to liking to make your own cards. I have been making cards out of First Aid and prefer it over Zanki and Bros. It might take time to make them but I like the feeling of knowing what is on the card and wording it the way I want.

You can do what you want as far as make your own or use pre-made decks. The SDN wisdom lately seems to point to using the premade ones but it’s a personal preference.

Someone already did this for you. Look online for the Zanki deck.
Yeah I just really don’t like using other pre-made decks. I never touch classmates’ Anki decks because I can’t stand trying to make sense of what they were thinking when they made the card. Zanki and Bros very much felt the same.

So knowing that I want to make my own decks, should FA be okay for an initial review of Biochem? I was able to pick up a 2017 pdf of FA, but I’ve never seen Pathoma. I always thought Pathoma was a set of questions like Uworld. Obviously I have a lot to figure out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I just really don’t like using other pre-made decks. I never touch classmates’ Anki decks because I can’t stand trying to make sense of what they were thinking when they made the card. Zanki and Bros very much felt the same.

So knowing that I want to make my own decks, should FA Abe okay for an initial review of Biochem? I was able to pick up a 2017 pdf of FA, but I’ve never seen Pathoma. I always thought Pathoma was a set of questions like Uworld. Obviously I have a lot to figure out.

From what I understand, Pathoma is a 200 page pathology review book that is very high-yield, a lot of people use it to make Anki cards and study. There is also a set of videos that goes with the book. I would guess for basic concepts like mitochondrial inheritance, the pentose phosphate pathway, or the purine salvage pathway, FA will give you a good review of biochem. Pathoma is probably not going to have all that basic information. Pathoma would probably have the inherited disorders like Marfan's and such, but so will FA. They overlap in some of the content.