OMFS residency question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crane820

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will begin dental school at Colorado in the Fall. I am an HPSP applicant. Since touring the Center For The Intrepid in San Antonio, I have begun thinking more about OMFS residencies. Assuming I ultimately decided to shoot for OMFS training (and I won't know whether this is really for me until some time down the road when I've garnered much more experience) there are some things that I would like to know regarding the army HPSP program. I need to get definitive answers to these questions.

1) Every OMFS residency has its own emphases. Applicants should be able to choose which residency they would like to attend according to the types of skills which they would most like to develop. If I were to go through the 4 years of dental school and decide that I want to become an OMFS, would I be allowed to apply and attend a civilian residency program or would I be required to go through the army?
2) Lets say that the army is in particular need of general dentists during the year that I complete my DDS. What is the probability that I would be barred from going straight into an OMFS residency (or any other residency) because the army is in immediate need of my services as a general dentist?
3) If I were to do a civilian OMFS residency and then begin my military payoff, I understand that things would go like this: 4 years dental school, 4 years OMFS residency at a program of my choice, 8 years active duty in the Army, 4 years inactive duty in the army. Is this correct?
4) If I were to do an ARMY OMFS residency, I understand that things would go like this: 4 years dental school, 4 years OMFS residency in the army,4 years active duty in the army, 4 years inactive duty in the army. Is this correct?
5) For anyone who is in or has completed an ARMY residency in OMFS (or in anything else, for that matter) please share with me some details. a) Do you feel as though you received good training with respect to the number and diversity of cases you were able to do? b) How would you compare the training that you recieve in the amry to training at an average civilian institution (I know that this is difficult, as all civilian institutions differ.) c) Please tell me about the family life as a resident in the army. For OMFS in particular, I know that residencies can be grueling and potentially ruinous for marriage/family life. How have you coped with the difficulties of managing your education while still attending to your families?
6) I have heared that since the army tends to take its own that sometimes HPSP students wanting to get into OMFS are able to get matched with an army residency even if they would have little chance of getting matched at any civilian institution (esentially, if you're in the army, you have a decent chance of getting into an army OMFS residency even if you're not good enough to get in anywhere else.) Comments on this?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions!

Members don't see this ad.

I will begin dental school at Colorado in the Fall. I am an HPSP applicant. Since touring the Center For The Intrepid in San Antonio, I have begun thinking more about OMFS residencies. Assuming I ultimately decided to shoot for OMFS training (and I won't know whether this is really for me until some time down the road when I've garnered much more experience) there are some things that I would like to know regarding the army HPSP program. I need to get definitive answers to these questions.

1) Every OMFS residency has its own emphases. Applicants should be able to choose which residency they would like to attend according to the types of skills which they would most like to develop. If I were to go through the 4 years of dental school and decide that I want to become an OMFS, would I be allowed to apply and attend a civilian residency program or would I be required to go through the army?
2) Lets say that the army is in particular need of general dentists during the year that I complete my DDS. What is the probability that I would be barred from going straight into an OMFS residency (or any other residency) because the army is in immediate need of my services as a general dentist?
3) If I were to do a civilian OMFS residency and then begin my military payoff, I understand that things would go like this: 4 years dental school, 4 years OMFS residency at a program of my choice, 8 years active duty in the Army, 4 years inactive duty in the army. Is this correct?
4) If I were to do an ARMY OMFS residency, I understand that things would go like this: 4 years dental school, 4 years OMFS residency in the army,4 years active duty in the army, 4 years inactive duty in the army. Is this correct?
5) For anyone who is in or has completed an ARMY residency in OMFS (or in anything else, for that matter) please share with me some details. a) Do you feel as though you received good training with respect to the number and diversity of cases you were able to do? b) How would you compare the training that you recieve in the amry to training at an average civilian institution (I know that this is difficult, as all civilian institutions differ.) c) Please tell me about the family life as a resident in the army. For OMFS in particular, I know that residencies can be grueling and potentially ruinous for marriage/family life. How have you coped with the difficulties of managing your education while still attending to your families?
6) I have heared that since the army tends to take its own that sometimes HPSP students wanting to get into OMFS are able to get matched with an army residency even if they would have little chance of getting matched at any civilian institution (esentially, if you're in the army, you have a decent chance of getting into an army OMFS residency even if you're not good enough to get in anywhere else.) Comments on this?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions!

1 & 2. the answer is pretty much the same for both. if the army is in need of general dentists (like they are right now) they would NOT let you attend a civilian OMS residency. in the past this had been possible (based upon the army's needs) but at the present time (and this probably isn't going to change anytime soon) the army needs general dentists and will not grant an "education extension" right now.

3. that is correct. IF you were given the education extension, that is how it would work.

4. yes, except for the inactive duty part. when you sign up, it is for an 8 (or is it 10???) year contract. it says 4 years active and 4 (or 6) years inactive, but if you spend more than 4 years on active, the extra years count for the INactive portion. in other words, the initial contract is 8 years TOTAL - you don't add the INactive years to the end of your active time if you have done more than the four years of active.

5. army OMS residencies are the best in the world - first class equipment, training, mentors and experience, by all accounts. army OMS residents do more or pretty much any procedure, than any civilian residency out there.
the rest of those questions, you'll have to ask me again in a couple years. i don't start until july.

6. i wouldn't say that the standards are any lower, it is just that the applicant pool is smaller for the 10 available positions. for the latest pool of applicants, i think 5 out of the 10 were accepted right out of dental school. i think the reason the applicant pool is so much smaller is because of the time commitment required (ADSO that is incurred) when doing OMS in the army.