Army OMFS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jalcalde

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current dental student and heavily considering doing oral surgery in the military. I am prior service so have 4 years enlisted in the army and if I did the residency and payback (doing the HPSP) I would have 12 in and only 8 left till retirement so I would most definitely finish out in the army. I have been reading alot about the specialty in private practice and the majority of people saying that you take out 3rds and do implants as it is the most financially sound option due to low reimbursement doing the major surgeries.

I assume it is different in the army due to getting a set pay and not having to worry about costs, etc, but want to verify what it is like in the army for OMFS. Do you get to do a combination of more complex surgeries along with implants and wizzys? I am also married and wanted to hear from anyone who has gone through the army OMFS residency and what it was like as far as affecting your marriage and typical day/hours worked during the residency. I spent a year in Afghanistan in 2010 but was not married then so do not know how being away from the wife for extended periods will be. She of course is pushing me to do whatever I want to do and have a passion for which having a supportive wife I know will help tremendously.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you,

J.

Members don't see this ad.

Read member JawBreakers thread where he answers all questions about military OMFS schedule, pay, QOL, etc- both in residency and thereafter.