OMFS Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think that there is an up and coming program that most users don't know about/haven't had much exposure to: Case Western. Historically a good program but not one of the powerhouses due to lack of heavy trauma, but now that they have incorporated Metro, they will quickly become one of the better programs in the country.

--Only 5 yrs (can do fellowship 6th year if desired)
--Only 12 months of med school (3rd year rotations only!!)--top 25 med school--can complete rotations at UH, cleveland clinic, or metro.
--Only 9 months of Gen Surg (3 mo plastics, 2 ENT, 1 NSG, 1 trauma, 1 SICU, 1PEDs,)
--34 months on OMS Service
--Metro is level I trauma--one of the busiest trauma centers in the US (lots of gunshot wounds, panfacials, etc)
--Lots of pathology, TMJ, and reconstruction. Dr. Baur did a cancer fellowship at Michigan and does malignant and benign tumors. Enough to be comfortable doing anything in private practice and to get familiar enough for fellowship if interested, but not bogged down doing only cancer like some of the big cancer programs.
--Case already does lots of cosmetics (Dr. Quereshy is cosmetics fellowship trained- one of the few programs where the residents will be doing their own resident cosmetic cases ie: face lifts, blephs, lipo, brow lift, platysmaplasty, botox, restylane etc)
--Tons of implants (Interns placing 50-100 implants first year--total of 300-500 by end--also lots of grafts, sinus lifts, etc.--don't believe it when people say if you can do trauma/reconstruction you can do implants--it takes about 50-100 before you realize your mistakes and you don't want that learning curve to happen in practice)

--Residents cut 100% of every case (including cancer, reconstruction, cosmetics, orthognathics, etc)
--strong anesthesia experience, 5 months, treated like anesthesia resident
--Three new full time attendings at Metro.
--Three faculty that sit on ABOMS board -- good prep for boards.

Case covers Metro, Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, and the Cleveland VA. Pretty much every big case going through northern Ohio and the surrounding area goes through that program now.

All the benefits of a six year program without the extra year of Med school, or even worse and extra year of gen surg, in only 5 years. With broad scope, big case load, residents are happy and get along with each other and attendings, by far one of the best programs in country.

Cleveland is NICE...low cost of living. tons of restaurants (ever heard of Michael Simon?), outdoor activities, biking, hiking, fishing, 2nd largest theater district in US, lots of museums-cultural center of ohio.

**I must agree that this is totally bogus. I have been at Case and know residents who have trained there. It is definitely a good place and residents cut a lot, but lets be real. Also, not up and coming...already well recognized.

Members don't see this ad.

Do attendings scrub in all? How can you make sure you aren't falling into bad banks if you dot have an attending showing you the appropriate pr

Do attendings scrub in all? How can you make sure you aren't falling into bad habits if you dont have an attending showing you the appropriate principles

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know anything about the OMFS program at Howard?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I saw a blurb about the UT-Houston program. Anyone want to do a full review and detail both the 6 and 4 year route (if it is even available to non-armed forces)?

Has anybody been able to extern at UIC? I have tried contacting them multiple times without any success.
Thanks in advance!

I externed there in March 2012. If you have specific questions you can PM me if you want.

Has anyone had any success externing at Cook County? I have emailed and called multiple times but without success...

Does anyone know about the Georgia Regents program in Augusta, GA?

Thanks!

Anyone know anything about the Georgia 4yr program in Augusta?

i am an international trained dentist (got my degree in Russia,Moscow)
please let me know your ideas about my chances to get into a OMFC program.
do i have any?

Members don't see this ad :)
so what should i do?
how can i get into an omfs program in US?

That is not true. There are OMFS programs that do accept international graduates, but as you can imagine they are exceedingly difficult to match into. Not to mention you are extremely limited in which states you can practice without a U.S. D.D.S. degree - I think there are 5 states? If you want to stay in academics it is not a major problem, but if you want to go into private practice it will be an issues. Anyways search this forum and you'll find all the answers you're looking for.

well,as I read Passweb website there are 11 univ. which are accepting foreign trained dentists in an OMFS program.
but here I am looking to get some reviews or tips.as we all know the competition is too tough.
it is obvious that, a D.D.S holder in US has a lot more luck to get into one of these,but I count myself a super lucky,so better to start doing it.

ok Man,
If you like to gamble, go ahead!
I would say that you should try Boston. they accept international dentist.
My advice is that you take the NBDE.
Good luck!

In preparation for this year's match cycle, check out our Facebook page which has been revamped and will be updated frequently.

For an inside look at the program and to stay up to date, like our Facebook page:

www.facebook.com/UIC.OMFS

What O.S programs are fairly well balanced (i.e: not swamped with trauma, malignant path...). I have 40 programs I am looking at applying to and I am trying to pare down my list.
Thanks for the info and good luck all those applying this cycle.

I wonder how long it will take to re-establish the MD track at UW? Any chance applicants in this cycle would be eligible for the MD track, say, after internship year? Anybody know how long these types of transitions take?

I wonder how long it will take to re-establish the MD track at UW? Any chance applicants in this cycle would be eligible for the MD track, say, after internship year? Anybody know how long these types of transitions take?

When Ron Caloss took over at Mississippi, it took him two years (full applicant cycles) before he had the MD slot up and running. That said, his program was also brand new, and didn't even have chief residents when he started there. The program at UW is long standing, so relationships between the medical school and the program are likely already in existence, so perhaps it would be sooner.

To be ready for a resident to start one year from now seems ambitious, but the year after maybe....

Speaking of your program, I'm keen on learning more about it from the inside. Consider this a formal request for your impression and overview of Harvard / MGH OMS.

With the new application cycle around the corner, all the residents on here....it would be a great resource to see some info about programs, especially those people might be unfamiliar with.

If anyone is interested in reviewing their programs on here, I'm sure the dental students would appreciate the resource!!

anyone know what score is needed on the CBSE to have a shot at getting interviews?

I'm delighted to see that UW OMS will re-establish the MD pathway.

Speaking of your program, I'm keen on learning more about it from the inside. Consider this a formal request for your impression and overview of Harvard / MGH OMS.

Will def post info on my program. I am just finishing up intern year so give me a few weeks.

I am not sure there has been any formal declaration that UW is trying to reestablish the MD pathway. I know this has been in the rumor mill for a while but I don't think Dodson changes anything. He doesn't have an MD afterall...

Reactions: 1 user
The Ohio State University – 4 year OMFS program

At any given time, the program is split into two groups; a clinic team and a hospital team.

The clinic team is stationed within the dental school and functions as your typical OMS clinic/private practice. The focus is primarily on dentoalveolar procedures. In resident clinics, we see your typical cases; 3rds, FMX’s, biopsies, infections, implants, pre-prosthetic surgeries etc. We offer these procedures with either local or IVSA. On Monday and Friday we have GA block where a resident will run the GA and another will perform the surgery. Here we see anything from extractions, to ORIF of mandible fx’s, orthognathic surgeries and even hip grafts. We also participate in the implant clinic with prosth. OMFS is the primary implant placing service at OSU and we get outstanding numbers. We get not only the simple cases, but a large number of complex cases and hybrids as well. Residents also oversee the undergraduate clinic, supervising students as they learn to extract teeth. This clinic largely handled by the teaching interns. While on the clinic team, residents go to Nationwide Children’s Hospital to participate in the craniofacial clinic and go to the OR to operate on cleft kids. The clinic team also participates in Dr. Ness’s TMJ clinic, faculty practice assisting with consults, surgeries and post-ops and attends all didactics.

The hospital team focuses on cases that go to the main OR in the hospital, managing in-house patients, handling call and consults during clinic hours, treating inmates at the corrections medical center, and managing hospital patient follow-ups. Hospital team is typically composed of 3 residents, a Chief resident, a 3rd year resident and a junior resident, typically a 1st year or teaching intern. Tuesdays and Thursdays are our designated OR days. However, there is talk of adding more OR time during our trauma call, due to the heavy volume of cases that come in. Wednesday mornings are spent at the prison medical center providing treatment to inmates such as third molar extractions, biopsies, hospital follow-ups and consultations for inmates requiring surgery in the OR. Currently, infections and traumas that require treatment in the OR that are not scheduled, are taken as add-ons. Mondays and Fridays are spent seeing hospital follow-ups, in faculty practice and didactics.

Our off service rotations include anesthesia (4 months), pediatric anesthesia (1 month), gen med (3 months), gen surg/trauma surg (3 months), pediatric gen surg (1 month), emergency (1 month), SICU (2 months), ENT (1 month) and plastics (1 month). Our residents go for a 1 week trip to perform cleft lip and palate repairs in a 3rd world country. We spend 2 months in Dublin, Ireland in our chief year, where we get broad scope exposure, including malignant pathology and cosmetics, as well as more traditional procedures, like trauma and orthognathics.

Program strengths include dentoalveolar surgery, implants, anesthesia, TMD, orthognathics, trauma, craniofacial (primarily alveolar clefts, extractions and orthognathics on cleft kids). We have a pretty good benign pathology experience as well. Our pathology department is right down the hall and we closely interact both didactically and clinically.

If you are looking to manage malignant pathology or are looking for a strong cosmetic experience, then this program is likely not for you, as we do not primarily manage malignant disease and perform very little in the way of cosmetic surgeries.

Our numbers are good and our experience thorough. We have a great equilibrium between hospital based procedures and clinic/office procedures. We have a good balance of didactics and surgical experience that is weighted heavier on the surgical side. Overall, it is an excellent traditional scope program.

At any given time, the program is split into two groups; a clinic team and a hospital team.

The clinic team is stationed within the dental school and functions as your typical OMS clinic/private practice. The focus is primarily on dentoalveolar procedures. In resident clinics, we see your typical cases; 3rds, FMX’s, biopsies, infections, implants, pre-prosthetic surgeries etc. We offer these procedures with either local or IVSA. On Monday and Friday we have GA block where a resident will run the GA and another will perform the surgery. Here we see anything from extractions, to ORIF of mandible fx’s, orthognathic surgeries and even hip grafts. We also participate in the implant clinic with prosth. OMFS is the primary implant placing service at OSU and we get outstanding numbers. We get not only the simple cases, but a large number of complex cases and hybrids as well. Residents also oversee the undergraduate clinic, supervising students as they learn to extract teeth. This clinic largely handled by the teaching interns. While on the clinic team, residents go to Nationwide Children’s Hospital to participate in the craniofacial clinic and go to the OR to operate on cleft kids. The clinic team also participates in Dr. Ness’s TMJ clinic, faculty practice assisting with consults, surgeries and post-ops and attends all didactics.

The hospital team focuses on cases that go to the main OR in the hospital, managing in-house patients, handling call and consults during clinic hours, treating inmates at the corrections medical center, and managing hospital patient follow-ups. Hospital team is typically composed of 3 residents, a Chief resident, a 3rd year resident and a junior resident, typically a 1st year or teaching intern. Tuesdays and Thursdays are our designated OR days. However, there is talk of adding more OR time during our trauma call, due to the heavy volume of cases that come in. Wednesday mornings are spent at the prison medical center providing treatment to inmates such as third molar extractions, biopsies, hospital follow-ups and consultations for inmates requiring surgery in the OR. Currently, infections and traumas that require treatment in the OR that are not scheduled, are taken as add-ons. Mondays and Fridays are spent seeing hospital follow-ups, in faculty practice and didactics.

Our off service rotations include anesthesia (4 months), pediatric anesthesia (1 month), gen med (3 months), gen surg/trauma surg (3 months), pediatric gen surg (1 month), emergency (1 month), SICU (2 months), ENT (1 month) and plastics (1 month). Our residents go for a 1 week trip to perform cleft lip and palate repairs in a 3rd world country. We spend 2 months in Dublin, Ireland in our chief year, where we get broad scope exposure, including malignant pathology and cosmetics, as well as more traditional procedures, like trauma and orthognathics.

Program strengths include dentoalveolar surgery, implants, anesthesia, TMD, orthognathics, trauma, craniofacial (primarily alveolar clefts, extractions and orthognathics on cleft kids). We have a pretty good benign pathology experience as well. Our pathology department is right down the hall and we closely interact both didactically and clinically.

If you are looking to manage malignant pathology or are looking for a strong cosmetic experience, then this program is likely not for you, as we do not primarily manage malignant disease and perform very little in the way of cosmetic surgeries.

Our numbers are good and our experience thorough. We have a great equilibrium between hospital based procedures and clinic/office procedures. We have a good balance of didactics and surgical experience that is weighted heavier on the surgical side. Overall, it is an excellent traditional scope program.

Thank you for taking time....sounds like a good program.

Thank you for taking the time to give a thorough review..sounds like a good program

Sorry for the double post!

Can anyone give insight into the Medical College of Georgia's OMFS residency?

Thanks in advance.

SUNY Buffalo

6 year MD/OMFS certificate program
Residents per year: 2 (from assorted dental schools, most without internships, but some with. They are friendly to, and take women as well)

Full time faculty: 4
-Richard Hall, DDS, MD, PhD: Chairman
-John Campbell, DDS, MS: Program Director
-Barry Boyd, DDS, MD: Director of undergraduate OMFS education
-Etern Park, DDS, MD (recent graduate of OHSU oncology fellowship)

Part time faculty: 12

Program format:
Year 1: 12 months OMFS service. You take 2 medical school classes. This year is primarily as an OMFS intern, including call/OR/clinic responsibilties.
Year 2: 3rd year of medical school.
Year 3: 4th year of medical school.
Year 4: 6 months General Surgery, 5 months of Anesthesia
Year 5: 12 months on OMFS service as senior resident.
Year 6: 12 months on OMFS service as chief resident.

Med school tuition is in-state after your first year as a resident, which ends up being relatively cheap.

Sites covered: 3
Erie County Medical Center (ECMC):
-We share facial trauma call evenly with ENT. Facial trauma is all-inclusive. From the clavicle up to the cranial base, anything that comes in is done by OMFS if on call.
-LOT OF TRAUMA!! Lots of mandibles, noses, orbits, and ZMCs, with plenty of other unique situations thrown in. Lots of personal violence, as well as motor vehicle accidents.
-We have regular OR time/days, and then add on cases as needed before and after clinic.
-There is an OMFS clinic, and a GPR clinic at the hospital that is up and running during the days we are not in the OR.

School of Dental Medicine:
-There is a graduate clinic, which is the practice of the full time attendings. Here the upper level residents (5th and 6th year) run the sedations, and do all of the patient care, with the oversight of the attending working the clinic that day.
-The clinic is open every day, with 3-6 sedations each day for a variety of out-patient procedures. You do a TON of dentoalveolar surgery, as well as other private practice based procedures here. You finish this program extremely comfortable with sedations/teeth/implants/biopsies/grafting/etc.

VA hospital:
-The senior residents at ECMC cover this clinic for implant experience.
-The GPR based here treatment plans implant cases, and stacks them up to occur on days when the OMFS resident comes in.
-Once a week, the senior resident shows up and places implants all day. Seniors are graduating with about 100 per resident.

Scope of practice:

On Call:
-Trauma call is shared with ENT. Call is full scope as described above.
-This is a very trauma heavy program. We are often in the OR 5-6 days/wk during busy summer months with trauma cases alone.
-You work with full and part time attendings on call, and see a variety of treatment choices and patient management with all the different attendings taking call.
-Interns take first call, always with back up to help out.
-Very friendly relationship with the ER, and between residents. Call is usually pretty enjoyable/interesting/fun, even when it's occuring at odd hours.

Dentoalveolar:
-Interns work up and do pretty much all of the local extractions at the county during clinic hours. You are very comfortable with extractions by the end of intern year.
-As 5th/6th year resident you spend half of the year at the school, where you run the sedations and work in the attending private practice as written above. This is where the residents learn very well how to work in private practice.

Othognathics:
-5th/6th years do the treatment planning/cutting.
-All full-time attendings have active orthognathic practices. Several SARPE/BSSO/IVRO/LeFort procedures each month during elective OR time.
-Most orthodontists/surgeons refer their orthognathic cases to the residency, as it is the only one in Western New York.

Cancer:
-The last OHSU fellow is signed with SUNY Buffalo (where he completed residency) as a full time faculty member.
-Between our own biopsies, and the oncology group he will be part of, there will be plenty of cases for him to cut. Many are already lined up.

Path:
-Lots of benign path.
-Because of the socioeconomics of the area, there are many (sadly) neglected patients, who only present with larger, more advanced path cases.
-Many OKC/Ameloblastoma/AOT/etc. cases with large resections, sometimes with same day reconstruction, sometimes without.
-Plenty of large whacks.

Reconstructive:
-Many larger cases/defects are reconstructed with grafts. Plenty of posterior hips, iliac crests, ramus, and ribs. Our attendings are also open to a variety of techniques, i.e. BMP use in cadaveric ribs, etc.
-Plenty of defects from large fractures/benign path/infections/clefts that get repaired by our team after the ablation, if not the same day.

TMJ:
-Dr. Campbell specifically has done a good amount of research on TMJ procedures.
-Many dentists/surgeons/orthodontists refer to the residency for operative TMJ patients.
-Pretty much every procedure besides prosthetic replacements/full joints are done - we see patients for arthroplasties/arthroscopies/condylectomies/condylotomies/etc.

Anesthesia:
-You spend 5 months of your general surgery year on the Anesthesia service. You are absolutely one of the anesthesia residents in every way during that time. You have your own room/call/responsibilities just as one of their categorical residents.
-You become extremely comfortable with MAC cases/LMA/intubation/GA cases.

Research:
-Some sort of submission for publication is a requirement for graduation, but it needs not be very long term.
-Many residents choose to do something they can present at one of the AAOMS meetings as well.

Atmosphere:
-This might be one of the best parts of the program, a very friendly and education oriented atmosphere.
-All attendings and residents are very friendly, comfortable, and open to discussion at all levels. If the intern sees a patient of the chairman's, he calls the chair directly.
-There are no hierarchy based attitude problems or hazing-like practices. Everyone gets along well, and it's a pretty light and fun group of people.
-We work very hard, especially in the summer with the increased trauma, but everyone enjoys themselves at the same time....

Buffalo is a very clinically heavy program, with plenty of work to keep everyone busy. The graduates leave ready to work, in whatever capacity they choose. Recent graduates have gone into private practice, academics, and fellowships.

Hope this is helpful to those who are thinking about where to apply. Its a hard working, good group of people who like what they do and get a strong background. Buffalo is a pretty nice place to live for residency also. Lots of college/grad school aged people here, with a reasonable cost of living and more to do than you may think.

Check us out if you're interested, good luck to all!!

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have Kings county contact info....no website (no contact info)=no way of finding out 2nd app info. thanks

Hi guys, I already filled out my PASS application and about to submit it within 2 weeks, I was wondering if I take the september NBME exam, would that be too late to apply for this cycle?
Thanks and best of luck to everyone

Baylor Dallas - 2 6 year spots, 1 4 year

Not going to do a full write up, but wanted to add that we've recently hired 2 new full time faculty. Our new director is Dr. Reddy from LSU NO. He's a 6 year guy with cosmetic fellow training/FACS. We also picked up Dr. Kang from Parkland and Michigan (cancer fellow). So that gives us an additional 2 faculty, both fellowship trained. Kang should pick up his cancer practice here in the next couple years, but by no means are we a "cancer program." Baylor just built a brand-spankin new cancer center which is beyond nice. I think we're excited to get over there.

You currently go to Lubbock for med school, but most of us actually enjoy this. We have a great job that pays well while you're out there and you essentially get 2 more years of dentoalveolar training before you go back, which is awesome, and Baylor gives you a stipend to cover med school tuition. There really isn't a better financial situation in a 6 year program out there. Lubbock is a bustling college "town" of about a quarter million people, has most of what you'd want, and plenty of beautiful coeds if youre single, and is incredibly cheap if you're a family man/woman. I'm actually quite pleased out here (I pay 700 a month for a luxury 1 BR condo across from the med school, 5 minutes from where I work, and near the "fun" areas---I'm happy). I can't go on enough how awesome our med school situation is: essentially free med school, high paying job, more surgical experience.

We are a strong dentoalveolar/private practice program historically, but also do a lot of trauma (it's dallas). You'll rotate at arguably the best private practice TMJ clinic in the world. Now with Reddy and Kang, I believe we're going to be a damn well rounded hospital program (we already were, really).

Baylor is an awesome hospital. Great tech, amazing food by hospital standards, and definitely on the nicer end of the spectrum in term of hospitals.

Historically we take a lot of Baylor dental students, so people are hesitant to apply, but you can get in here out of Baylor dental --- I did. I also didn't extern here, just fell in love with it at the interview, so it's definitely worth a look. There's been talk about getting away from going so heavy on the baylor students, and with the two new hires being non-baylor (and one being our new director), I'd expect it to start becoming a more diverse applicant pool.

Shoot me an email if you have any specific questions. Good luck on interviews.

Last edited:
anyone willing to do UCSF update?

UCLA aka "the Country Club"

As its name implies, the country club is by far the most laid back program I know of. Residents spent a full year as an intern before entering the 2nd year of medical school at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. The intern year is spent mainly holding down the clinic floor - lots of extractions, sedations, biopsies, etc. Call is light to non-existent as there is a GPR that is fairly involved at the hospital and plastics/ENT have a complete monopoly on facial trauma - even mandibles. Thus residents rarely get called in to Ronald Reagan medical center. Residents do spend some time at Harbor UCLA (which hosts a separate 4-year program) as well as at Kaiser Permanente sunset where they get some exposure to trauma pt's, though attendings seem to do the majority of the cutting in the OR. OR days are generally wed and thursday with 1-3 cases on each of those days. Many programs, without exaggeration, have more cases going on in a day than UCLA does in a month. Or cases generally consists of benign pathology and orthognathics. Orthognathics cases can sparse as the ortho department tends to refer many of their cases to the outside as oppose to keeping things in house. If you are looking for an OR intensive program, UCLA is not your program. What the program does offer, however, is impressively high numbers of implants, extractions/3rds/sedations, and good didactics. The medical school has an excellent reputation and general surgery is quite intense due to the fact that Ronald Reagan does alot of organ transplants, particularly liver. Residents comment that the gen surg year is quite intense. Westwood is a nice area, but quite expensive, and it should be noted that the residents are shafted in their stipend (only ~30k) as the dental school pools all of the stipend money from the hospital (which is intended for hospital residents, i.e. peds, OMFS, GPR, etc.) and disperses it among all of their residents (ortho, perio, etc).

Reactions: 1 users
I know ranking is what is most important, but anyhow I am starting dental school this fall and would like to mentally prepare myself for the kind of GPA I need. So what is typically the GPA of those in the top 5 of their class? Do I need to be breaking 3.75 every semester?

Have mercy on me & my #freshmanquestion! hehe :)

I know ranking is what is most important, but anyhow I am starting dental school this fall and would like to mentally prepare myself for the kind of GPA I need. So what is typically the GPA of those in the top 5 of their class? Do I need to be breaking 3.75 every semester?

Have mercy on me & my #freshmanquestion! hehe :)

Omfs programs are very competitive, so everything must be strong. But in recent years the most important things are

1. Extra Curriculars - this is byyyyyyyy far the most important. they like to see a lot of volunteering, and things that help the community. Were you president of the Iraqi women interested in pediatric dentistry club? Let them know bc they look for leadership!

2. Research - they love to see research, especially when it's in something other than omfs bc they like a well rounded candidate...try to find something on composite fillings or perio stuff

3. Personal essay - this is huge! They want someone who can prove they know a lot about omfs going in so they aren't educating a complete rookie...try to show mastery of concepts in this essay...

4. Letters of Rec...go outside omfs...anyone can get a letter from their omfs program chair, try to find the general dentist that knows you best and can write you an amazing letter

5. Perio

6. Don't extern anywhere other than your #1 bc then the other places won't rank you. No one wants to rank the town bicycle

7. Class rank - of course they want top 15% but try to avoid top 10% because all programs hate gunners...11-14% and you are soooooo golden

8. Apply to a lot of 4 years and 6 years programs, but let the 4 year programs know they are your back up because you're committed to becoming a "real doctor"...they love commitment

9. Make it well known that you prefer a lot of dental alveolar/implants bc ain't nobody got time for cancer stuff..."lol, page ENT for that adenoma looking thing, cuz imma be shuckin' wizzies in clinic"

10. Avoid programs in the south

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Omfs programs are very competitive, so everything must be strong. But in recent years the most important things are

1. Extra Curriculars - this is byyyyyyyy far the most important. they like to see a lot of volunteering, and things that help the community. Were you president of the Iraqi women interested in pediatric dentistry club? Let them know bc they look for leadership!

2. Research - they love to see research, especially when it's in something other than omfs bc they like a well rounded candidate...try to find something on composite fillings or perio stuff

3. Personal essay - this is huge! They want someone who can prove they know a lot about omfs going in so they aren't educating a complete rookie...try to show mastery of concepts in this essay...

4. Letters of Rec...go outside omfs...anyone can get a letter from their omfs program chair, try to find the general dentist that knows you best and can write you an amazing letter

5. Perio

6. Don't extern anywhere other than your #1 bc then the other places won't rank you. No one wants to rank the town bicycle

7. Class rank - of course they want top 15% but try to avoid top 10% because all programs hate gunners...11-14% and you are soooooo golden

8. Apply to a lot of 4 years and 6 years programs, but let the 4 year programs know they are your back up because you're committed to becoming a "real doctor"...they love commitment

9. Make it well known that you prefer a lot of dental alveolar/implants bc ain't nobody got time for cancer stuff..."lol, page ENT for that adenoma looking thing, cuz imma be shuckin' wizzies in clinic"

10. Avoid programs in the south

Wow! thanks so much! I didn't think about a lot of those other things. Why avoid the south? I live there now and will be here for the next 4 years! lol..

So I am applying to the following programs this cycle and wanted to see if there are updates:

1) LSU - both of them (saw in the other thread NO is having issues - what's up with that ****?)
2) San Antonio - still good? Heard it is slow at times and women in San Antonio are really big, per Charles Barkley.
3) UT-Houston - have not seen much info here, but heard it is busy and super spread out, which would kinda suck - would love to know more.
4) Penn - mostly research and some oral surgery. true?
5) Knoxville - Heard good with a good mix of cancer too
6) Emory - Heard a few good things about being busy, but that is it
7) Case - Expensive and cold, but would like to know more
8) Parkland - well, it is parkland, but heard Houston was busier than them
9) MGH - did an externship and thought it was ok. Looks like they don't cut much
10) NYU - Seemed like a boss program when I externed there, but would love to know more.

So I am applying to the following programs this cycle and wanted to see if there are updates:

1) LSU - both of them (saw in the other thread NO is having issues - what's up with that ****?)
2) San Antonio - still good? Heard it is slow at times and women in San Antonio are really big, per Charles Barkley.
3) UT-Houston - have not seen much info here, but heard it is busy and super spread out, which would kinda suck - would love to know more.
4) Penn - mostly research and some oral surgery. true?
5) Knoxville - Heard good with a good mix of cancer too
6) Emory - Heard a few good things about being busy, but that is it
7) Case - Expensive and cold, but would like to know more
8) Parkland - well, it is parkland, but heard Houston was busier than them
9) MGH - did an externship and thought it was ok. Looks like they don't cut much
10) NYU - Seemed like a boss program when I externed there, but would love to know more.

i will reply on the programs I am familiar with...

LSU's, both are good programs. NO is going through some faculty changes, but both are solid programs.
Penn - bread n' butter type program. Decent implants, sedations, 3rds, etc. Light on OR cases. Def on the academic side.
Case - some of the residents have had issues with passing step I and atleast one was dismissed from the program as a result. They are requiring the new interns to retake the NBME and score a minimum of 74(?). They already took it again before starting and now have to miss the summer to take it yet again because they did not achieve the minimum score. Needless to say, they are pretty stressed. May want to contact one of the residents to get the real story. I would rather just go to real med school than put up with that.
Parkland - Honestly not that good of program. Too much med school, not enough implants, sedation, oral surgery, etc. Great program back in the day, but as the program has declined the residents have spent more time on SDN, etc. mouthing off and trying to maintain their dying reputation.
MGH - very academic program, attendings are a-holes for the most part and do the majority, if not all of the cutting on a given case. Residents are not very happy and if they are honest, they'll tell you they chose the program for the Harvard medical degree. If you kept the same program and changed medical schools I guarantee they would not get much interest.
NYU - great program, very busy, probably the top program in the Northeast.

Last edited: