OMFS Programs Overview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i will reply on the programs I am familiar with...

LSU's, both are good programs. NO is going through some faculty changes, but both are solid programs.
Penn - bread n' butter type program. Decent implants, sedations, 3rds, etc. Light on OR cases. Def on the academic side.
Case - some of the residents have had issues with passing step I and atleast one was dismissed from the program as a result. They are requiring the new interns to retake the NBME and score a minimum of 74(?). They already took it again before starting and now have to miss the summer to take it yet again because they did not achieve the minimum score. Needless to say, they are pretty stressed. May want to contact one of the residents to get the real story. I would rather just go to real med school than put up with that.
Parkland - Honestly not that good of program. Too much med school, not enough implants, sedation, oral surgery, etc. Great program back in the day, but as the program has declined the residents have spent more time on SDN, etc. mouthing off and trying to maintain their dying reputation.
MGH - very academic program, residents are a-holes for the most part and do the majority, if not all of the cutting. Residents are not very happy and if they are honest, they'll tell you they chose the program for the Harvard medical degree. If you kept the same program and changed medical schools I guarantee they would not get much interest.
NYU - great program, very busy, probably the top program in the Northeast.

And I quote:

"Parkland - Honestly not that good of program. Too much med school, not enough implants, sedation, oral surgery, etc. Great program back in the day, but as the program has declined the residents have spent more time on SDN, etc. mouthing off and trying to maintain their dying reputation."

Wow!

:corny:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Senpai which OMFS program are you at currently?

And I quote:

"Parkland - Honestly not that good of program. Too much med school, not enough implants, sedation, oral surgery, etc. Great program back in the day, but as the program has declined the residents have spent more time on SDN, etc. mouthing off and trying to maintain their dying reputation."

Wow!

:corny:
I spoke with a friend that spent a few weeks at Parkland who was told by a resident there that Baylor gets more trauma than Parkland now. Programs change so often, so I wouldn't be surprised if what was stated above is true.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow fourth/fifth hand information.... unsubstantiated source -> Parkland resident -> Extern 1 -> Extern 2 -> SDN. I would be surprised if what was stated above is true.

I am not associated with the Parkland program but I doubt they are a dying program. They still seem to get the top applicants each year. They also seemingly have well respected faculty, facilities, and a well rounded surgical training for their residents. Plus I am sure plenty of people would agree that getting less trauma can be beneficial for a program especially if your ORs are clogged up with trauma cases.

Wow fourth/fifth hand information.... unsubstantiated source -> Parkland resident -> Extern 1 -> Extern 2 -> SDN. I would be surprised if what was stated above is true.

I am not associated with the Parkland program but I doubt they are a dying program. They still seem to get the top applicants each year. They also seemingly have well respected faculty, facilities, and a well rounded surgical training for their residents. Plus I am sure plenty of people would agree that getting less trauma can be beneficial for a program especially if your ORs are clogged up with trauma cases.

I have a hard time when things are spread through the grapevine as well. My criticism is based on evidence. They spend 30 months on service, the minimum required to graduate. Many other programs in the south get 36-38 months on service. I have seen the graduating chiefs op logs. Very minimal implant/sedation experience. I cannot comment on the trauma situation, but that would be a surprise to me. I invite one of the Parkland residents to screen shot or snap a photo of their graduating chiefs case logs.

Not at LSU, but have huge respect for that list of names above and the program as a whole. You can't argue experience like that.

My friend/classmate was asking how the program at Parkland compared to the other program in Dallas (Baylor). He was told that things have slowed down a bit there and that Baylor has picked up a lot of the trauma around Dallas. I am just passing on information that was given to me. I don't think it is a dying program, but is probably closer to average than great. Maybe Baylor is turning into what Parkland use to be? Their website lists new faculty there, but not sure if they are the expanded scope type.

My friend/classmate was asking how the program at Parkland compared to the other program in Dallas (Baylor). He was told that things have slowed down a bit there and that Baylor has picked up a lot of the trauma around Dallas. I am just passing on information that was given to me. I don't think it is a dying program, but is probably closer to average than great. Maybe Baylor is turning into what Parkland use to be? Their website lists new faculty there, but not sure if they are the expanded scope type.

I'm a resident at Baylor and yes we do have new faculty that have come on in the last year both of which are parkland trained.
Dr. Reddy (program director)
Dr. Kang (head and neck oncology / microvascular)

It's safe to say both are expanded scope and willing to operate anything. In addition to our full-time faculty we have a large number of adjunct clinical faculty that are very active in our program from allowing us to rotate with them to taking trauma call with us. In regards to us "picking up a lot of the trauma around Dallas", we have picked up another Level 1 trauma center that is about 10 minutes away from the Baylor Hospital, so its safe to say we see our fair share of trauma.

I don't have any comments about Parkland but I am sure they are just fine. Dallas is a large city with plenty of trauma to go around and I am sure Parkland gets their fair share as well.

Does anyone know if Tufts OMFS offer an annual stipend or do they require that you pay tuition? Thanks.

It’s hard to have a meaningful discussion with regard to the spread of misinformation. I have had to take some time to formulate a professional response to Senpai’s post.

Parkland’s program is indeed steeped in history which speaks for itself, and of which we are rightly proud of, but my co-residents and I also firmly believe that our future is just as bright – if not brighter than our past. We, as the Parkland residents clearly do not believe that our program is on the decline, and don’t understand why someone would take the time to make a negative post about any OMS residency program.

Our residents believe that all OMS residents should rightly be proud of their respective programs and that all programs add to the rich fabric of our specialty in their own unique way – which we believe, is the best specialty in healthcare.

With regard to posting operative logs (a HIPAA violation) and proving our “worth” as a residency program – we do not feel that is necessary at all. If you or others would like to know who we are, what we stand for, and where we are going as a residency program – I would encourage you to reach out to our graduates (past and present) and our current residents and discuss your concerns about our program on an individual basis. I am sure that will provide you the most meaningful and direct answers to your questions.

Reactions: 8 users
i will reply on the programs I am familiar with...

LSU's, both are good programs. NO is going through some faculty changes, but both are solid programs.
Penn - bread n' butter type program. Decent implants, sedations, 3rds, etc. Light on OR cases. Def on the academic side.
Case - some of the residents have had issues with passing step I and atleast one was dismissed from the program as a result. They are requiring the new interns to retake the NBME and score a minimum of 74(?). They already took it again before starting and now have to miss the summer to take it yet again because they did not achieve the minimum score. Needless to say, they are pretty stressed. May want to contact one of the residents to get the real story. I would rather just go to real med school than put up with that.
Parkland - Honestly not that good of program. Too much med school, not enough implants, sedation, oral surgery, etc. Great program back in the day, but as the program has declined the residents have spent more time on SDN, etc. mouthing off and trying to maintain their dying reputation.
MGH - very academic program, attendings are a-holes for the most part and do the majority, if not all of the cutting on a given case. Residents are not very happy and if they are honest, they'll tell you they chose the program for the Harvard medical degree. If you kept the same program and changed medical schools I guarantee they would not get much interest.
NYU - great program, very busy, probably the top program in the Northeast.

Last edited:
how come nobody commented about ut san antonio, i thought they were one of the big programs down south?

Members don't see this ad :)
CARLE FOUNDATION HOSPITAL OMFS RESIDENCY

Hello everyone. I am simply updating the very old post regarding the program I am currently in. I just finished my PGY-1 year at the Carle Foundation Hospital in Champaign-Urbana, IL. I will NOT routinely check this board, so if you have questions, please message me and I’ll try to get back to you when I can. All this information is current and is, of course, subject to change. Here is our website for cool pictures, historical stuff, more about the hospital itself, benefits as a resident, rotation schedule, etc.

https://carleconnect.com/gme/omfs.aspx

This is long, so you can skip forward to the recap at the end if you want to hear the Cliffnote version.

Residents per yr: 1 (4-yr OMS certificate, MD option at the end?)
Noncategorical interns per yr: 1
-Same job description as the PGY-1, but you don’t get to go to anesthesia
-As a rule, we don’t normally take the intern, but they have a great match rate and our program is very supportive in trying to get our interns into programs.
Attendings: 3 – Bailey DMD, MD, FACS, Sabol DDS, Norbutt DMD, MD
Fellows: 0
Accreditation: Full, without reporting requirements.
Research requirement: Usually a book chapter
Hospitals to cover while on call: 1

About the location:
Champaign-Urbana is located about a 2.5 hr drive south of Chicago, IL. The main attraction in the area is the University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign. There’s a decent amount of stuff to do on what little off time you have, but if you’re like me and you’re from a big city and have lived there all your life, it’s a big change. But I’ve definitely visited worse (sorry Shreveport). Living here is definitely slow paced compared to what I’m used to, which is probably a good thing as a resident. Traffic is almost non-existent, especially when the students are off. Cost of living is low for my standards – $910/month for a pretty big 2 BR/1BA apartment, and I’m living in one of the most expensive apartment complexes in the area. Your salary as a resident is more than enough to compensate for the cost of living. Outside of Champaign-Urbana it’s a whole-lotta corn. Lots of freeways and cornfields until you hit another “major” city. Overall, I’m pretty happy living here. I can go out and eat some decent food (don’t go looking for a good seafood dinner here), get a drink and listen to some live music on a weekend off, or drive up to Chicago if I need some big city living for a weekend. By the way, people in the Midwest = disgustingly nice.

What we do every day:
The Carle Foundation Hospital (CFH) is the only level 1 trauma center in central IL. There’s also no helmet law in IL for those folks that ride motorcycles and ATVs – hint, hint. The OMFS department at CFH takes head & neck trauma call 365 days/year, 24 hrs/day. You will suture more faces and put more hardware in the human skull than you’d ever want to. We’re not inner-city trauma center busy, but we definitely get enough. Other residencies at the hospital are: general surgery, internal medicine, family medicine – that’s it. We are (by far) the oldest and most stable residency in the hospital. We are well-liked and established here, and that really makes a difference in the experience of our residency. You can also imagine how much we get to do when we rotate to other services like ENT, plastics, neurosurgery, trauma, general surgery, internal medicine, anesthesia, ED, etc.

We have 2 clinics – one in the hospital itself (really convenient for multiple reasons) and one about 15 min away in Champaign. Both have treatment rooms that are capable of doing IV sedations. We take referrals from outside DDS’s and MD’s for extractions, pathology, implants, orthognathic, skin lesions, clefts, etc. I’d say we can do up to 6 sedations per AM or PM session, and that will be intertwined with consults, postops, various follow-ups, procedures under local, etc. We DO NOT have a point and pull resident clinic – that’s not how we roll here. We have block time 3 days per week in the main OR, but you’ll find we operate all week whenever we need to (trauma, trachs, infections, etc). I don’t think I’ve ever had a problem scheduling an OR case outside of our block time, and these times are definitely waaay before 5 pm on average.

The intern year (PGY-1 or noncategorical) is probably the most brutal call schedule I’ve seen in any program (and I’m not exaggerating). AT BEST, the call schedule for an intern is q2days. That’s 24 hr call, no post call, you could be doing that for multiple days in a row (my record is 12), and no one wants to hear you complain about it because everyone above you did the same thing. Thankfully we take call from home. You’re almost guaranteed to go in at some point in the night when you’re on, though. And yes, all-nighters are pretty common. Hey, it’s good training. After you survive your intern year, though, from PGY-2 and on you’re considered a senior resident and take back-up call for the intern and will rarely be the primary on-call resident. Unfortunately, there’s no GPR residency here, so yes you’ll have to do dental splints and drain little baby dental abscesses. Once in a while you can get a BS toothache consult on the medicine floor as well. Our ED, for the most part, is pretty good at filtering a lot of those, though. We DO NOT extract any teeth on the floor on in the ED unless there’s pus in the neck, in which case they’ll go the OR. We also don’t put on archbars in the ED. We are always undermanned. The PGY2 and 3 switch being on off service rotations throughout the year, so we run around a lot from the OR to the ED to the clinics and back, and we really have to rely on each other.

For some reason people like to ask about didactics so here it is. Every Wed AM we try really hard to get together learn stuff outside from our own reading and experience. We do basic science lectures with General Surgery, grand rounds with them as well, trauma M&M, our own M&M, OMFS-related lectures, orthognathic case reviews, treatment plan cancer or other reconstruction cases, do stuff in the simulation lab (tissue dissection, chest tubes, tissue flaps, airway stuff, etc), and even review some board questions. I’ll be honest and say we miss this a lot due to our busy main OR. Other conferences we have are head and neck tumor board, cleft team, journal club, and review our main OR cases for the week.

Our attendings and our scope – probably the part you care the most about:
Dr Bailey, our glorious director, did a fellowship in head/neck oncology and microvascular reconstruction in Maryland. We do about 1-2 free flaps per month, and intertwined are parotidectomies, partial glossectomies, neck dissections, skin cancers, etc. You will learn a ton of medicine managing these patients (head and neck cancer pts = usually old and sick). We also do the cleft lip/palate/alveolus and VPI our cleft surgeries for the cleft palate team. We can easily do a cheilorhinoplasty, palatoplasty, lip revision, or hip graft 1-2 times per week. Dr. Bailey is one of those guys that isn’t really afraid to operate on anything above the clavicle and there’s lots of times where we get asked to help out our ENT colleagues with their cases. He has a great presence and having him alone is a good reason to want to train here. Watching him operate is also like watching an artist paint too. We get dibs on the open tracheostomies for the ICU, which means that any adult sized pt that can’t be trached bedside by the ICU team gets trached by us in the OR. We can easily do a few per week (they tend to come in waves), and they’re rarely straight-forward. Dr Norbutt did a fellowship in orthognathic surgery under Dr. Tucker. He’s the newest addition to our attendings and has been here about 3 yrs. His practice is growing quickly and our orthognathic numbers are following suit. He is very modern and treatment plans cases with virtual surgery and other cool stuff. Finally, Dr Sabol has been at Carle for about 30 yrs. He was a resident here too. He did a lot of those bigger cases, but now has mostly limited his practice to dentoalveolar stuff and soft tissue lesions. He has a huge reputation in the area and is a source for the majority of our outpatient referrals. There aren’t many people here who don’t know someone who was operated on by Dr. Sabol.

What don’t we do? Cosmetics and TMJ. If you want to do those surgeries, don’t come here. We’ll do some cosmetic stuff for trauma-related injuries or after removing lesions, and you can do some cosmetic stuff on ENT or oculoplastics, but for the most part it’s something we don’t do a lot of. We…hate…TMJ. We’ll do a joint replacement if it needed to be whacked because of a tumor or something, but no arthoplasties, discectomirs, arthrocentesis, etc here. And honestly we don’t really want to manage any of those patients. In terms of craniofacial stuff, no distractions, Le Fort 3’s, or cranial vault stuff, but our cleft patients keep us busy already.

So what’s our relationship with the attendings? We have some of the most humble, funny, approachable, and skilled attendings anyone could ask for as a resident. I can honestly talk to any of them as a friend. That said, they definitely expect a lot from us. We get a lot of freedom when it comes to managing patients, surgeries, etc. A good way to explain it is like this: I’m more afraid I’ll let them down than I am afraid of being yelled at. They also have some of the best bedside manner I’ve seen.

In terms of actually operating, we operate a lot, and we operate early. You get comfortable in the OR very early in your training here. My chief last year got to the point where he did about 90% of a neck dissections, parotidectomies, big resections, clefts, etc. He would do about 100% of the traumas, trachs, and whatever other stuff you could think of. As a non-chief resident, you will still be very hands on and you’ll be able to harvest hip, do skin grafts, trachs, trauma stuff, and start to get comfortable with the cleft and cancer stuff. In terms of orthognathic, it’s usually 50-50 attending-chief, but as an intern I did half a Le Fort with my chief, which was nice. It’s not a rare thing to see our attending reading the newspaper in the OR or just holding sticks. I know a lot of programs try to brag about how much they operate, so you can come see if I’m lying or not. And, we don’t have a fellow. Nuff said. Just keep this in mind, this isn’t a place where you’re allowed to go crazy on the patient population – the see one, do one, teach one rule definitely applies to every surgery we do, even tooth extraction. You learn to assist, and you’ll assist a lot, before you operate.

Please, just don’t ask me about numbers – they change all the time and I don’t have the info. But I can definitely say we have no problem surpassing the AAOMS requirements. Remember, it’s one resident per yr.

What do expect as an extern:
One of the reasons I made this post was to try to get more externs to come out. See our website for more info and apply. We definitely welcome externs here and we’re very open about our program to you guys. You’ll get free food and cheap housing too. We just ask that you take this seriously, work hard, take call with the interns, and actually try to get the gist of what it’s like here. We want you to have a great time and learn something along the way. This is an amazing program, but it’s also not for everyone. And as someone that’s applied for residency twice, you really can’t get an idea about a program from SDN or even the interview. An externship is really the best way to get to know what the program is really like, and more importantly, if you would be a good match there. It is 4-6 yrs of your life after all.

SUMMARY

The pros – scope of surgery, operate a lot with lots direct attending to resident time, great medical management experience, awesome attendings, great reputation in the hospital, unique off-service experience, one hospital to cover, home call, decent place to live

The cons – no GPR, undermanned all the time, brutal call schedule

Pro or con depending on you – very small program, 24/7 trauma call, very high expectations, no hand-holding, no TMJ or cosmetics, no point & pull clinic, busy busy busy

I know I said a lot, probably more than necessary honestly. And I’m sure I missed a lot of stuff that I’ll read back and wish I had put in. But for me, I would choose this program as my #1 all over again. As crazy as my intern year was, I wouldn’t want to train anywhere else. I am very happy here and I was treated very well as an intern. That really makes a difference when you’re sleep deprived and working hard and long hours every day. I’m also working with residents and attendings that I want to put in 110% for. Just remember, what you think is important in a program now is probably not going to be as important once you’re actually in it. And the best program in to train in is the one you end up in.

It’s hard to have a meaningful discussion with regard to the spread of misinformation. I have had to take some time to formulate a professional response to Senpai’s post.

Parkland’s program is indeed steeped in history which speaks for itself, and of which we are rightly proud of, but my co-residents and I also firmly believe that our future is just as bright – if not brighter than our past. We, as the Parkland residents clearly do not believe that our program is on the decline, and don’t understand why someone would take the time to make a negative post about any OMS residency program.

Our residents believe that all OMS residents should rightly be proud of their respective programs and that all programs add to the rich fabric of our specialty in their own unique way – which we believe, is the best specialty in healthcare.

With regard to posting operative logs (a HIPAA violation) and proving our “worth” as a residency program – we do not feel that is necessary at all. If you or others would like to know who we are, what we stand for, and where we are going as a residency program – I would encourage you to reach out to our graduates (past and present) and our current residents and discuss your concerns about our program on an individual basis. I am sure that will provide you the most meaningful and direct answers to your questions.

You must forgive Senpai... SDN is the one forum where dental students can pretend like they have any sort of power. The reality is Senpai would be fortunate to be accepted into any of the programs he so easily bashed (LSU, SA, Houston, Penn, Case, Parkland, MGH) and if he didn't MATCH and was offered a spot at any of them he would likely run to them with his tail between his legs.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody have any experiences or information about the OMFS programs at U Cincinnati or Indiana U? I'm trying to decide if I should accept my interviews at those 2.

Does anybody have any experiences or information about the OMFS programs at U Cincinnati or Indiana U? I'm trying to decide if I should accept my interviews at those 2.

i am a student at Indiana Uni dental school. have been interested in OMS for a long time now.

I am sad to say that the program is in shambles. it has been ever since i started dental school and is probably at it's worse right now. all the information i have is from the current residents and off course what i see on a day to day basis.

recent events:
- the chair of the program just got kicked out.
- they have an interim chair at this time.
- they only have one full time faculty. who is a mediocre surgeon at best. to my understanding, because they had no choice she was made the program director. all the residents hate her. she has a terrible reputation at the dental school with the dental students, at the hospitals that she operates at, with other dept faculty (anesthesia, ENT, plastics, general surgery etc) and with the OMS residents. some residents stated that she was a source of embarrassment for the program and they were always apologizing for her unprofessional and idiotic behavior.
- so as far as current faculty - one full time faculty (the director), one part time (who is about to retire anytime) and one interim chair.

history: this was important for me because after all this is the program affiliated with my dental school
- according to the residents and the senior dental students - in the past 5-6 yrs they have lost 5 OMS attendings. the last one lasted less than 3 months.
- the residents seem to always be depressed and angry and do not think twice about letting people know what they feel.
- they also lose residents to other programs. on an average about 1 resident every two years, ends up at a different program.
- over the past 5-6 years now, this program gets worse every year.
- in recent times they have not been able to consistently match their spots.

residents:
- all residents that i have spoken to regret coming to the program. 3 of the current residents told me that it has been depressing for them and their families.
- most of them have been looking into leaving and transferring to other programs. would not be surprised if they lose more residents.
- they say it is a very malignant program because of the faculty and the way they are treated. i have heard and witnessed how they are treated in front of dental students, patients and other service residents/faculty.

Overall - i have been told that this program has potential however at this point is sounds like and is a terrible program to be at.

in summary:
- i do understand that OMS programs are at times very volatile. however it seems like this program has deep rooted problems that have not been solved over several years now.
- i think it is a bad idea to entertain the thought of going to a program that is already in trouble. you might end up regretting your decision like the current residents.

the information above is all facts and also conversations that i or other dental students have had with the residents.

we all work very hard to get into a program and it sucks when programs are dishonest and you end up stuck in a bad situation.

ALSO the information for the Indiana program on the website is incorrect. it is all old.
bennett left
montes left
heidelman is part time - 2-3 days a week
kramer is not a surgeon and works 2-3 days a week
part time faculty only take trauma call at one hospital

How are they managing what looks like 3 residents a year with so few FT faculty? It goes against CODA standards...

So I am applying to the following programs this cycle and wanted to see if there are updates:

3) UT-Houston - have not seen much info here, but heard it is busy and super spread out, which would kinda suck - would love to know more.

We are busy. The majority of what we do is in the Texas Medical Center and is all within walking distance. TMC is the largest medical center in the world though. We take 3 4-year track and 3 6-year MD track. Everyone does year 1 together. As an intern you will have plenty of experience doing IV sedations at LBJ, BT, and the VA, plenty of chances to cut at multiple hospitals but especially Hermann. We are very clinic/procedure/surgery focused and do not have hardcore 'pimping' sessions during rounds or conference. With that being said, you are expected to know the material and will be asked questions related to pertinent information in a case, on a patient, or in conference. Never are you pimped in front of patients.

MD Track
YEAR 1: Intern. 2 months at each rotation below (x2 at LBJ)
YEAR 2: Med School 2
YEAR 3: Med School 3
YEAR 4: 2 months med school year 4, Off Service rotations
YEAR 5: off service/ on service rotations
YEAR 6: Chief year

Hospitals:
1. Memorial Hermann: Trauma hospital. Dr Demian is the chief of service and we do a lot of trauma. Dr Wilson is the past chief of service and still has an honorary roll in the hospital and still takes cases back to the OR. He has a long history with the hospital and he has a lot to offer. The Chief resident historically has been a military resident from San Antonio who rotates with us for 3 months as a chief (and in turn we rotate with them for facial cosmetics, etc our 3rd /5th year). Clinic is mostly pre-op/post-op with some procedures, but most of the time is spent in the OR. One intern, one midlevel, and a chief.
2. Ben Taub: Next door to Hermann. Lots of indigenous Hermann Park population who make their way to the ED at 2 am for a tooth infection. Clinic is busy busy extraction and sedation clinic. Dr Freeman is the chief of service a dual boarded in Plastics and OMFS. Lots of varying OR cases. Some flaps done with Dr Shum (one of the two head and neck trained attendings). One intern, one midlevel, one chief
3. LBJ: Another county hospital like Ben Taub. North side of the inner loop (610). A drive from the med center. Sedation and extraction clinic with a fair share of trauma and flaps with Dr Melville (the other head and neck trained attending). Dr Hanna is the chief of service who trained at Miami. Two interns, one chief, maybe a midlevel.
4. VA: Implants, extractions, OR. Dr Gilbert is Chief of Service and teaches the H&P course. He has been around with this program for a long time. One intern, one chief
5. Dental School: 3rd/5th year rotation. Implants, sedations. Very 'private practice' environment
6. Methodist/Smith Tower/ Shriners: This is the private practice for the faculty. Each faculty has 1 or 2 days they see their own patients. Surgeries are done in the Methodist Outpatient Center or at Hermann. Very broad scope of surgeries. TMJ, path (benign/malignant), bread and butter, facial cosmetics, etc. Thirds and IV sedations done in clinic. There are two chiefs (one for Methodist/smith tower and the other for the Shum/Busaidy [malignant path/ flaps and cleft lip/palate respectively], and one intern with maybe one midlevel. Shriners is the childrens hospital with our cleft lip and palate team. At Shriners we do a lot of pediatric extractions in the OR, anterior iliac crests bone grafts for repair of alveolar clefts, orthognathics, etc. Close relationship with plastics team from UTMB in Galveston. Dr Shum is our main free flap surgeon but with the additional of Dr Melville our flaps have increased all over.

CALL
Face call is split q3 with ENT, PRS, and OMFS. When we cover face trauma there are two interns, one midlevel and a chief. The midlevel and interns stay in house. One intern covers LBJ/Hermann and the other covers BT/VA/ Methodist. Very busy when we are on face.
Tooth call is 24/7. After the first 2 months of "buddy call" in July/August, it is the intern with a chief as backup and all the hospitals are covered. This is hit or miss. Some nights you are up all night running between hospitals, others you are up all night at a single hospital, and others you don't get called at all.

DIDACTICS/CONFERENCE
Monday: Orthognathics/special conference (2 lectures: upper level advanced lecture, and lower level basic lecture)
Tuesday: Chief/attending lecture on systems/special topics
Thurs: Trauma conference with ENT/Plastic/OMFS every 3rd thurs; topic conference like Tuesdays; M&M last Thursdays; Methodist guest lecture
Fri: First year H&P course
Journal Club first Tuesday of every month at a restaurant in Rice Village
Chief's and 3rd/5th years go to differing board review courses. Chiefs attend AAMOS meetings.

HOUSTON
Houston is a great place to live with a variety of living options ranging from suburbs with a 30 minute commute to downtown, rice village, or close to the med center. Great food, great night life, plenty to do. The zoo and park are across the street from Hermann and BT. Plus, Texas BBQ.

Feel free to ask any questions, or better yet, come extern to see what we are about!

Adding to the information above about UT Houston.

Given a A+ by Dr. Felsenfeld (UCLA professor) a CODA site visitor. He encourages all UCLA students who are candidates to apply there.

Strong scope, heavy trauma, now doing cancer and free flaps with 2 Head and Neck Maxillofacial Oncology and Microvascular surgery faculty. Weak on facial cosmetics, TMJ and orthognathics.

Full-time Faculty
Chairman/ Program Director :
Dr. Mark Wong DDS Residency: Univ. of Miami/ Jackson Memorial, Research Fellowship: UT Houston

Co Chairman: Dr. James Wilson DDS Parkland

Dr. Nagi Demian DDS MD UT Houston

Dr. Philip Freeman DDS MD Parkland (OMFS) Louisville (Plastic surgery)

Dr. Kamal Busaidy DDS UT Houston

Dr. Issa Hanna DDS Univ. of Miami/ Jackson Memorial

Dr. Jonathan Shum DDS MD Cornell
Fellowship: Microvascular reconstruction Portland Legacy w/ Dr. Eric Dierks. Oncology/Ablative Univ. of Maryland w/ Dr. Robert Ord.

Dr. James Melville DDS Univ. of Miami/ Jackson
Fellowship: Univ of Miami/Jackson Oncology/ablation and Microvascular reconstruction w/ Dr. Robert Marx

Dr. Trevor Treasures DDS MD MPH Parkland

Dr. Harry Gilbert DDS Veterans Hospital Detroit Michigan

We are busy. The majority of what we do is in the Texas Medical Center and is all within walking distance. TMC is the largest medical center in the world though. We take 3 4-year track and 3 6-year MD track. Everyone does year 1 together. As an intern you will have plenty of experience doing IV sedations at LBJ, BT, and the VA, plenty of chances to cut at multiple hospitals but especially Hermann. We are very clinic/procedure/surgery focused and do not have hardcore 'pimping' sessions during rounds or conference. With that being said, you are expected to know the material and will be asked questions related to pertinent information in a case, on a patient, or in conference. Never are you pimped in front of patients.

MD Track

Hospitals:
1. Memorial Hermann: Trauma hospital. Dr Demian is the chief of service and we do a lot of trauma. Dr Wilson is the past chief of service and still has an honorary roll in the hospital and still takes cases back to the OR. He has a long history with the hospital and he has a lot to offer. The Chief resident historically has been a military resident from San Antonio who rotates with us for 3 months as a chief (and in turn we rotate with them for facial cosmetics, etc our 3rd /5th year). Clinic is mostly pre-op/post-op with some procedures, but most of the time is spent in the OR. One intern, one midlevel, and a chief.
2. Ben Taub: Next door to Hermann. Lots of indigenous Hermann Park population who make their way to the ED at 2 am for a tooth infection. Clinic is busy busy extraction and sedation clinic. Dr Freeman is the chief of service a dual boarded in Plastics and OMFS. Lots of varying OR cases. Some flaps done with Dr Shum (one of the two head and neck trained attendings). One intern, one midlevel, one chief
3. LBJ: Another county hospital like Ben Taub. North side of the inner loop (610). A drive from the med center. Sedation and extraction clinic with a fair share of trauma and flaps with Dr Melville (the other head and neck trained attending). Dr Hanna is the chief of service who trained at Miami. Two interns, one chief, maybe a midlevel.
4. VA: Implants, extractions, OR. Dr Gilbert is Chief of Service and teaches the H&P course. He has been around with this program for a long time. One intern, one chief
5. Dental School: 3rd/5th year rotation. Implants, sedations. Very 'private practice' environment
6. Methodist/Smith Tower/ Shriners: This is the private practice for the faculty. Each faculty has 1 or 2 days they see their own patients. Surgeries are done in the Methodist Outpatient Center or at Hermann. Very broad scope of surgeries. TMJ, path (benign/malignant), bread and butter, facial cosmetics, etc. Thirds and IV sedations done in clinic. There are two chiefs (one for Methodist/smith tower and the other for the Shum/Busaidy [malignant path/ flaps and cleft lip/palate respectively], and one intern with maybe one midlevel. Shriners is the childrens hospital with our cleft lip and palate team. At Shriners we do a lot of pediatric extractions in the OR, anterior iliac crests bone grafts for repair of alveolar clefts, orthognathics, etc. Close relationship with plastics team from UTMB in Galveston. Dr Shum is our main free flap surgeon but with the additional of Dr Melville our flaps have increased all over.

CALL
Face call is split q3 with ENT, PRS, and OMFS. When we cover face trauma there are two interns, one midlevel and a chief. The midlevel and interns stay in house. One intern covers LBJ/Hermann and the other covers BT/VA/ Methodist. Very busy when we are on face.
Tooth call is 24/7. After the first 2 months of "buddy call" in July/August, it is the intern with a chief as backup and all the hospitals are covered. This is hit or miss. Some nights you are up all night running between hospitals, others you are up all night at a single hospital, and others you don't get called at all.

DIDACTICS/CONFERENCE
Monday: Orthognathics/special conference (2 lectures: upper level advanced lecture, and lower level basic lecture)
Thurs: Trauma conference with ENT/Plastic/OMFS every 3rd thurs; topic conference like Tuesdays; M&M last Thursdays; Methodist guest lecture
Chief's and 3rd/5th years go to differing board review courses. Chiefs attend AAMOS meetings.

HOUSTON
Houston is a great place to live with a variety of living options ranging from suburbs with a 30 minute commute to downtown, rice village, or close to the med center. Great food, great night life, plenty to do. The zoo and park are across the street from Hermann and BT. Plus, Texas BBQ.

Feel free to ask any questions, or better yet, come extern to see what we are about!

Great, detailed review about UT-Houston! Seems like a solid and busy program. What I don't get it is why is it weak on orthognathics? It seems like they should be able to draw patients from the large population in Houston. Isn't orthognathics something that all OMFS should be good at?

How does your neighbor program at UTMB compare in orthognathics/scope?

Are any programs still offering to take NBDE Part 1 scores in lieu of CBSE scores? I had a very competitive (90+) score coming out of dental school but have been fulfilling my military obligations as a GP. I'm thinking about getting out and applying, but I don't believe my first CBSE attempt is going to be very strong this weekend, despite putting in a good amount of work on it (if you want to take this thing, definitely don't wait til you're 6-7 years removed from the material!)

I know that there were a handful of programs still accepting the old scores in lieu of the CBSE last year, but was thinking that may change this upcoming year. I noticed that the disclaimer about that loophole is now gone from the AAOMS website.

Hello everybody, I'm a licensed Dentist from the Philippines who just migrated here in Canada 5 months ago. I'm challenging the NDEB here and if all is well ill be done by 2016. I would like to go into OMS RESIDENCY too, does anyone here know anything about the program in University of Manitoba? One more thing, I'm already 39 years old and if ever I'll be able to enter by 2017, do you think I'm not too old for a 4 year OMS residency? Thank you. All inputs will be highly appreciated.

so, whats happening in Rochester, NY OMS Program?

hi,

Im a foreign trained dentist and finished DDS in cali. Im working as a gp since an year. my dream is omfs. but my gpa was 3.26. does anyone of you think that i can get into a good program????????? please respond

MGH OMFS Review

This has been a long time comin... apologies for the delay. Some significant updates have come about though so had I put this out earlier some things might have changed. Nonetheless...

Faculty: (copied off our most recent newsletter with some annotations added)

Leonard B. Kaban, DMD, MD Former Chief of Service. Stepped down and new chief is Troulis
Maria J. Troulis, DDS, MSc Former program director. Now current Chief of Service
Meredith August, DMD, MD
Sung-Kiang Chuang, DMD, MD, DMSc
R. Bruce Donoff, DMD, MD – Current dean of Harvard dental school as well
Walter C. Guralnick, DMD – No longer practicing. Still comes to all our meetings and conferences though
David A. Keith, FDSRCS, DMD
Edward T. Lahey, III, DMD, MD
Bonnie L. Padwa, DMD, MD – Childrens Hospital
Zachary Peacock, DMD, MD
Cory Resnick, DMD, MD – Childrens Hospital
Steven J. Scrivani, DDS, D.Med.Sc – Orofacial Pain
Edward B. Seldin, DMD, MD – Minimal practice
Jeffry R. Shaefer, DDS – Orofacial pain

Part time:
John Buehler, DMD, MD
Richard Catrambone, DMD, MD
Robert S. Gilardetti, DMD, MD
Carol Lorente, DMD, PhD
Jennifer Smith-Williams, DMD

Positions: 3 categorical, 1 prelim. (19 residents total +1 craniofacial fellow)

YIP1/PGY1
12 months on OMFS service as an intern at MGH. If you are not in the OR or post call you are in the clinic. There are 3 services within the department (Chief, Private, Ward). Chief attendings include Kaban and Troulis. Private attendings include everyone else who doesn’t operate at Childrens. Each month the intern switches services. 1 Chief intern, 1 Private Intern, 1 Ward OR intern, 1 Ward clinic intern. Ward cases are basically the traumas/infections that come in and are staffed by which ever attending is on call or by the fellow. Each week interns are responsible for presenting at orthognathic surgery conference which is usually a presentation of around 5-6 cases. Clinic is usually around 20-30 pts a day and is separate from the attending clinic. We typically don’t see attending clinic patients. Resident clinic is anything from simple extractions to wiring mandibles to TMJ consults, OR follow ups, suture removals, etc. Its a completely resident run clinic but attendings are available for coverage of more complex issues. Starting in September the 3 categorical interns take 2 x ½ days per week class at the medical school with the second year med students. This transitions to one full day per week from January to April. The prelim stays and covers clinic with any other available residents. A typical month entails ~6 days of call which usually includes 2-3 weekend days. Facial trauma is 50/50 split between OMFS and plastics. Most interns live nearby the hospital and can go home, however call is typically pretty busy and I found it more worthwhile just to sleep at the hospital. You do get to go home the next day after rounds and you have finished up any post call duties. Overall its actually a pretty good year. You are definitely in the OR more than interns on any other service in the hospital. Very busy though with clinic, presentations, call, etc....

YIP2/MS3
You do the full year as a third year medical student. These are the basical clerkship clinical rotations that every medical student has to do. Each rotation has a SHELF exam afterwards which you simply only need to pass. Grading is pass/fail/honors but really doesn’t matter for us. Residents typically take USMLE Step 1 at the end of this year.

YIP3/MS4
This is the 4th year medical school year. During this year you must make up a couple third year rotations that we miss the year prior due to starting a couple months late. 3 months worth of electives are built in this schedule as are 2 free months in which you can study for USMLE, travel, whatever... 4 months of this year are dedicated to anesthesia. During this time you are treated as a full blown anesthesia resident and are practicing under your dental license. You will be put on the anesthesia call schedule the second half of your anesthesia rotation. Its a great rotation. I did 200 anesthesia cases which were 75% general anesthesia and 25% sedations. My cases covered Orthopedics, general surgery and OB/gyn. I got to do a handful of central lines and a wide variety of intubation techniques (direct laryngoscopy, video intubation, fiberoptic, etc... ). USMLE Step 2 (both parts) are typically taken during this year. Philly is the closest site.

YIP4/PGY2
This is a full year on general surgery as a PGY 2. You will do the same rotations as the normal PGY 2 general surgery residents and will be treated as such. Rotations include: Plastics, SICU, Vascular days/nights, Thoracic nights, ED Surgery, Breast, Trach/Peg service, community hospital general surgery, etc. Rotations are monthly. Variable experience depending on your rotations, senior residents, fellows, etc. Typically a very busy year and most residents can’t wait to get done with it. USMLE Step 3 must be taken during this year.

YIP5/PGY3
Year is split up into 3 x 4 month blocks. Each of the 3 residents will be in one of said blocks. Blocks are Sedation Junior, Trauma Junior, General Surgery. Sedation Junior does all the dentoalveolar sedations with the attendings in the clinic (~5-10 sedations/day). When not doing sedations is usually supervising the interns in the resident clinic. Sedation junior also does all the implant cases with the attendings and presents implant conference once a month. Recently a 5th month of anesthesia was added which occurs during this rotation. This a month of pediatric anesthesia. Trauma Junior works up the operative trauma patients, gets them Teed up for the OR and will go to those cases with the Chief resident. Attendings may or may not be present for the cases depending on whether the fellow is there covering, difficulty of the case and their level of trust of the chief resident. Interns don’t typically go to trauma cases. Trauma junior also presents pathology conference once a month. General Surgery Junior is doing another 4 months on general surgery (typically those rotations are plastics, ENT and a couple other random ones depending on what gen surg needs). So that is a total of 16 months gen surg proper. Because we do that extra 4 months as a PGY 3, the GME gives us credit for 2 years of general surgery during residency which is nice .

YIP6/PGY4
Again this year is split up into 3 x 4 month blocks: Chief resident of the Chief Service (Administrative chief and chief of ward service as well), Chief resident of the Private Service, Children’s Hospital. The Chief Chief has the hardest job of all the residents. Is basically responsible for everything.... and is the first person the attendings come to for anything. Make the call schedule, OR schedule, Vacation schedule, etc. You also operate with Kaban and Troulis on their private patients and you operate on all the Traumas with whichever covering attending. Finally, you also present service meeting every week. The Private chief operates with all the other attendings on their private patients. The Private and Chief chief split the call schedule for 2nd call. The Children’s rotation is 4 months operating with the craniofacial team at Children’s Hospital Boston which is a combined OMFS/Plastic Surgery team.

Summary:
6 year program, 3 residents per year +1 prelim intern = 19 residents.
Call: Trauma 50% + tooth 100%. ~q5 for interns, ~q10 for junior residents (PGY3), q2 for chiefs (as 2nd call)
Case load: My chief residents (when I was an intern) each cut around 230 cases (does not count bilateral as 2 cases) during their chief resident year (first assist). ~25% trauma, ~40% orthognathic (includes TMJ and cleft), ~25% benign path, ~10% reconstruction (free flaps were done as 2 teams with plastics) and all were tired of doing cases by the end of the year. It is a very top heavy operative experience but the chief resident year is a lot of OR time and they all felt ready to be independant practioners.
Attendings: Kaban has his reputation (for good reason) but has chilled out drastically. He is actually a lot of fun to be in the OR with and you learn a lot from him. He just stepped down as chairman but continues on with his clinical practice. Troulis is the new Chair and I am not sure who the new program director will be.
Research: There is a requirement for a single academic project which can be done at any point over 6 years.
Boston: Awesome place to live and there is so much to do. The closer you are to the hospital themore expensive housing is. I live 10 minute drive away and pay 1725/month for a 3 bedroom. Same place near the hospital wound be 3k+
Family: All 3 residents in my class are married. 2 of us have kids. Half of the 19 residents are married but we all hang out regularly and are pretty close.

Has its pros and cons... like any place. We are all pretty happy here though and MGH is a great place to train. Any other questions just ask

Reactions: 6 users
Great post dawg, just wanted to add as I just completed PGY-1 at MGH and now in med school:
Interns get to cut a ton on many of the cases. This includes private patients (not just ward/clinic patients). For example, I personally cut >10 lefort I osteotomies and my other co-interns had similar numbers. Closing cases, abdominal fat grafting, hardware placement/removal, all fair game.
Also, a large % of our mandible fractures are treated closed reduction in the ED . Each intern averages 20-30 MMF's (generally by themselves in the ED) by the end of the year. We all get to place a few implants scattered throughout the year as well.

Overall a great experience.
Now back to OBGYN.....

MGH OMFS Review

This has been a long time comin... apologies for the delay. Some significant updates have come about though so had I put this out earlier some things might have changed. Nonetheless...

Faculty: (copied off our most recent newsletter with some annotations added)

Leonard B. Kaban, DMD, MD Former Chief of Service. Stepped down and new chief is Troulis
Maria J. Troulis, DDS, MSc Former program director. Now current Chief of Service
Meredith August, DMD, MD
Sung-Kiang Chuang, DMD, MD, DMSc
R. Bruce Donoff, DMD, MD – Current dean of Harvard dental school as well
Walter C. Guralnick, DMD – No longer practicing. Still comes to all our meetings and conferences though
David A. Keith, FDSRCS, DMD
Edward T. Lahey, III, DMD, MD
Bonnie L. Padwa, DMD, MD – Childrens Hospital
Zachary Peacock, DMD, MD
Cory Resnick, DMD, MD – Childrens Hospital
Steven J. Scrivani, DDS, D.Med.Sc – Orofacial Pain
Edward B. Seldin, DMD, MD – Minimal practice
Jeffry R. Shaefer, DDS – Orofacial pain

Part time:
John Buehler, DMD, MD
Richard Catrambone, DMD, MD
Robert S. Gilardetti, DMD, MD
Carol Lorente, DMD, PhD
Jennifer Smith-Williams, DMD

Positions: 3 categorical, 1 prelim. (19 residents total +1 craniofacial fellow)

YIP1/PGY1
12 months on OMFS service as an intern at MGH. If you are not in the OR or post call you are in the clinic. There are 3 services within the department (Chief, Private, Ward). Chief attendings include Kaban and Troulis. Private attendings include everyone else who doesn’t operate at Childrens. Each month the intern switches services. 1 Chief intern, 1 Private Intern, 1 Ward OR intern, 1 Ward clinic intern. Ward cases are basically the traumas/infections that come in and are staffed by which ever attending is on call or by the fellow. Each week interns are responsible for presenting at orthognathic surgery conference which is usually a presentation of around 5-6 cases. Clinic is usually around 20-30 pts a day and is separate from the attending clinic. We typically don’t see attending clinic patients. Resident clinic is anything from simple extractions to wiring mandibles to TMJ consults, OR follow ups, suture removals, etc. Its a completely resident run clinic but attendings are available for coverage of more complex issues. Starting in September the 3 categorical interns take 2 x ½ days per week class at the medical school with the second year med students. This transitions to one full day per week from January to April. The prelim stays and covers clinic with any other available residents. A typical month entails ~6 days of call which usually includes 2-3 weekend days. Facial trauma is 50/50 split between OMFS and plastics. Most interns live nearby the hospital and can go home, however call is typically pretty busy and I found it more worthwhile just to sleep at the hospital. You do get to go home the next day after rounds and you have finished up any post call duties. Overall its actually a pretty good year. You are definitely in the OR more than interns on any other service in the hospital. Very busy though with clinic, presentations, call, etc....

YIP2/MS3
You do the full year as a third year medical student. These are the basical clerkship clinical rotations that every medical student has to do. Each rotation has a SHELF exam afterwards which you simply only need to pass. Grading is pass/fail/honors but really doesn’t matter for us. Residents typically take USMLE Step 1 at the end of this year.

YIP3/MS4
This is the 4th year medical school year. During this year you must make up a couple third year rotations that we miss the year prior due to starting a couple months late. 3 months worth of electives are built in this schedule as are 2 free months in which you can study for USMLE, travel, whatever... 4 months of this year are dedicated to anesthesia. During this time you are treated as a full blown anesthesia resident and are practicing under your dental license. You will be put on the anesthesia call schedule the second half of your anesthesia rotation. Its a great rotation. I did 200 anesthesia cases which were 75% general anesthesia and 25% sedations. My cases covered Orthopedics, general surgery and OB/gyn. I got to do a handful of central lines and a wide variety of intubation techniques (direct laryngoscopy, video intubation, fiberoptic, etc... ). USMLE Step 2 (both parts) are typically taken during this year. Philly is the closest site.

YIP4/PGY2
This is a full year on general surgery as a PGY 2. You will do the same rotations as the normal PGY 2 general surgery residents and will be treated as such. Rotations include: Plastics, SICU, Vascular days/nights, Thoracic nights, ED Surgery, Breast, Trach/Peg service, community hospital general surgery, etc. Rotations are monthly. Variable experience depending on your rotations, senior residents, fellows, etc. Typically a very busy year and most residents can’t wait to get done with it. USMLE Step 3 must be taken during this year.

YIP5/PGY3
Year is split up into 3 x 4 month blocks. Each of the 3 residents will be in one of said blocks. Blocks are Sedation Junior, Trauma Junior, General Surgery. Sedation Junior does all the dentoalveolar sedations with the attendings in the clinic (~5-10 sedations/day). When not doing sedations is usually supervising the interns in the resident clinic. Sedation junior also does all the implant cases with the attendings and presents implant conference once a month. Recently a 5th month of anesthesia was added which occurs during this rotation. This a month of pediatric anesthesia. Trauma Junior works up the operative trauma patients, gets them Teed up for the OR and will go to those cases with the Chief resident. Attendings may or may not be present for the cases depending on whether the fellow is there covering, difficulty of the case and their level of trust of the chief resident. Interns don’t typically go to trauma cases. Trauma junior also presents pathology conference once a month. General Surgery Junior is doing another 4 months on general surgery (typically those rotations are plastics, ENT and a couple other random ones depending on what gen surg needs). So that is a total of 16 months gen surg proper. Because we do that extra 4 months as a PGY 3, the GME gives us credit for 2 years of general surgery during residency which is nice .

YIP6/PGY4
Again this year is split up into 3 x 4 month blocks: Chief resident of the Chief Service (Administrative chief and chief of ward service as well), Chief resident of the Private Service, Children’s Hospital. The Chief Chief has the hardest job of all the residents. Is basically responsible for everything.... and is the first person the attendings come to for anything. Make the call schedule, OR schedule, Vacation schedule, etc. You also operate with Kaban and Troulis on their private patients and you operate on all the Traumas with whichever covering attending. Finally, you also present service meeting every week. The Private chief operates with all the other attendings on their private patients. The Private and Chief chief split the call schedule for 2nd call. The Children’s rotation is 4 months operating with the craniofacial team at Children’s Hospital Boston which is a combined OMFS/Plastic Surgery team.

Summary:
6 year program, 3 residents per year +1 prelim intern = 19 residents.
Call: Trauma 50% + tooth 100%. ~q5 for interns, ~q10 for junior residents (PGY3), q2 for chiefs (as 2nd call)
Case load: My chief residents (when I was an intern) each cut around 230 cases (does not count bilateral as 2 cases) during their chief resident year (first assist). ~25% trauma, ~40% orthognathic (includes TMJ and cleft), ~25% benign path, ~10% reconstruction (free flaps were done as 2 teams with plastics) and all were tired of doing cases by the end of the year. It is a very top heavy operative experience but the chief resident year is a lot of OR time and they all felt ready to be independant practioners.
Attendings: Kaban has his reputation (for good reason) but has chilled out drastically. He is actually a lot of fun to be in the OR with and you learn a lot from him. He just stepped down as chairman but continues on with his clinical practice. Troulis is the new Chair and I am not sure who the new program director will be.
Research: There is a requirement for a single academic project which can be done at any point over 6 years.
Boston: Awesome place to live and there is so much to do. The closer you are to the hospital themore expensive housing is. I live 10 minute drive away and pay 1725/month for a 3 bedroom. Same place near the hospital wound be 3k+
Family: All 3 residents in my class are married. 2 of us have kids. Half of the 19 residents are married but we all hang out regularly and are pretty close.

Has its pros and cons... like any place. We are all pretty happy here though and MGH is a great place to train. Any other questions just ask

Reactions: 5 users
Can someone post an updated Parkland breakdown? And not the 2 sentence 3rd hand gossip. Thanks.

University of Missouri, Kansas City

Red shirt - 4 positions

4 year – 1 position

6 year – 2 positions

Faculty:

Brett Ferguson, DDS – chair and program director

Steven Prstojevich, MD, DDS – cosmetic fellowship

John Bellome, DDS – clinic professor

Ronald McAmis, DDS – clinic professor

Robert Kern, DDS – trauma fellowship

Sascha Schubert, DMD, MD – undergraduate OMS director

Christopher Haggerty, DDS, MD – clinic professor

Thaer Daifallah, DDS – cosmetic fellowship

Scope:

Mostly trauma (mandible, ZMC, orbital floor, frontal sinus, NOE, etc.)

1-5 orthognathics per month

Sprinkle in a few I&D and tooth extractions under GA

Very few gland removals, tracheotomies to create a tracheostomy, TMJ (arthroscopy/arthrocentesis, total joint replacement)

Craniofacial/clefts are only done as PGY4 for 2 months

Sample Schedule:

PGY1 – 5 months anesthesia, 7 months OMS

Medical School year 1

Medical School year 2

PGY2 – 2 months OMS, 4 month medicine, 6 month general surgery

PGY3 – 4 months private practice, 8 months OMS

PGY4 – 4 months chief, 1 month pediatric anesthesia, 2 months craniofacial, 5 months OMS

Sample Day:

On call person will pre-round, setup OR, prep patient for OR

Entire team minus the attending rounds (starts between 0630-0730)

Lower levels go to clinic (extractions, consults, postops), a PGY2 or 3 will do the IV sedation (0800-1630)

Upper levels go to OR (0800-1630)

Clinic finishes at 1630, or whatever time the last patient leaves, check out as a team

Go home, shower, pretend to read Peterson’s Principles of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery

Start all over

Call:

PGY1 and red shirts take in house call at Truman Medical Center and Children’s Mercy Hospital (both level 1 trauma). Depending on how many PGY1 are on anesthesia, usually 5-8, rarely 10 calls per month. There is no tooth/trauma distinction. OMS takes 100% face trauma and 100% dental problems such as loose perio teeth. There is no GPR support for dental call.

PGY2, 3, 4 take home call at St. Luke’s Hospital on the Plaza 7 days per month

Extracurricular:

Lecture every Thursday from 1700-1900

Journal club once a month

Reactions: 3 users
University of Mississippi Medical Center

Residents per yr: 2 (4-yr OMS certificate, 6 year MD, OMFS)
Noncategorical interns per yr: 1
Attendings: 3
Fellows: 0
Accreditation: Full
Research requirement: Lit review or poster presentation
Hospitals to cover while on call: 1

First years + non-categorical (3 interns) are on service for an entire year The 6 year resident gets 7 weeks paid course to prepare Step 1 and then another 5 weeks off in addition for self study. The second year you are entirely off service. 23 out of the last 24 months are spent on service.

The outpatient clinic is in the dental school but it is connected to the hospital. We only work out of one hospital. Residents do a majority of in clinic procedures with numerous deep sedations each morning. We have 4 dedicated OR days each week 3 in the main and 1 in the children’s hospital. The majority of cases are performed by the residents.

Trauma call is split with ENT and plastics and occurs every third week, with q3 call. Plenty of trauma to do. Tooth call is 365 but Mississippi has a GPR so we don’t get paged for avulsions and alveolar fractures. All call is from home but if you need to stay in house for a heavy trauma, OMFS has a dedicated on call room that has TV, computer, and private bathroom.

Very broad exposure to OMFS. Plenty of dentoalveolar, implants, orthognathics, cosmetics, TMJ, trauma, sleep apnea, alveolar clefts, benign ablative surgery, and currently no cancer. Good didactic component.

A very friendly and education oriented atmosphere. All the residents get along very well and there has never been any animosity between the 4 and 6 year resident. The attendings are all very approachable and are not malignant. Jackson has a good cost of living and not a far drive from New Orleans, Memphis and the coast. Half the residents married with children/half single.

Weakness: Jackson can be boring, Implants could be higher.

Overall I am happy with my time spent at Mississippi. I think like any programs there are pros and cons but I believe at Mississippi the pros outweigh the cons.

Any questions feel free to ask.

UNC OMFS

Overview

There has not been a recent update to our program and I wanted to provide some information for applying dental students. Since I am a resident I tried my best to make all of the information as factual as possible and not my personal (positively biased) opinion. We are a 6 year MD track program with 3 residents per year (no non categorical interns) with broad scope minus cancer.

Hospitals

UNC Hospital: The main benefit in our hospitals is that when you are on service you do not have to drive between multiple locations. All of our operations, whether they be in the children's or main hospital are essentially at the same place since the hospitals are connected and you can walk between them indoors. This includes the dental school. At UNC we have 5 OR days (double OR day on Thursday, no planned cases on Friday).

UNC Dental School: Your procedures will include third molars, impacted canines, expose and bonds, and pretty much whatever the dental students/other specialties treatment plan. There is no shortage of extractions and we have dedicated implant days.

VA: We have complete control of the implants at the VA. The GPR residents do not place any, and I personally did around 70 in my first two months there. I would say about 30% are overdenture implants with the rest being single unit/bridge supported. You will also do all of the grafting ranging from lateral window sinus lifts to ramus block grafts. You also have the opportunity to be exposed to cosmetics including blephs, botox, etc. Whether you are PGY1 or PGY5, if you are able to present a competent treatment plan with appropriate reasoning the attending will allow you to do the case.

Asheville: When you rotate here you take Q2 call with a military resident. Since there is no ENT/Plastics here you gain a large exposure to full head and neck surgery since you cover call for all three services. You will also have the opportunity to be a part of any cases (thyroids etc) that interest you as long as you are free. Dr. Fonseca is an attending at this rotation and will help you gain a lot of additional experience in trauma. It is extremely busy, but residents tend to love their rotation here.

Elective: During your elective month you can set up to go to an outside OMFS program, fellowship, or subspecialty within UNC. Examples in the past few years include Microvascular at OHSU, oculoplastics within UNC, implants with Dr. Sclar, arthroscopy with Dr. McCain. Some residents even choose to do international electives. This can be very advantageous if you are considering a fellowship.

Schedule

PGY1: 7 months OMFS: 5 at UNC, 2 at VA, 5 months Anesthesia. As an intern at UNC you will spend half of your time in the resident clinic and half in the OR. You will be retracting for most of the OR cases but will get to do the OR cases you work up in the ED such as infections and trauma. In the resident clinic you are allowed to do any of the cases that come in from impacted canines, thirds, benign pathology. During your anesthesia rotation you are a CA-1 so you run the cases by yourself with an attending that typically covers 1-3 rooms.

PGY2: 1 month of dedicated study time for USMLE in July, M3 for remaining 11 months. You do not take any M1 or M2 classes.

PGY3: M4 for first 6 months. 6 months OMFS from Jan-June: 4-5 months at UNC , 1-2 at VA. You will cover resident clinic, assist in the OR and begin to get orthognathic cases. You will also have extraction, trauma, and benign pathology cases (mostly KCOT, dentigerous cyst) in the OR. You will be able to run your own sedation extraction cases in clinic as well.

PGY4: 11 months of general surgery as a PGY-1 and 1 month OMFS elective

PGY5: 12 months OMFS: 4 months in Asheville, 1 month VA, 6 at UNC, 1 month OMFS elective. You will gain more complex cases in the OR as well as be more involved in the cosmetic clinic.

PGY6: 12 months OMFS: all at UNC. Your time is split as the chief for one of the attendings. You will attend either the LSU or Denver course for board preparation. You will typically cut half the orthognathic cases with the attending cutting the other half. You will cut the entire case when it is unilateral (pathology etc)

Total time (months): OMFS (38), Medical School (18), Anesthesia (5), General Surgery (11)

Scope

Orthognathic: Our program is notorious for being very heavy on orthognathic surgery. Dr. Turvey and Dr. Blakey are very well known in this field and will often do 3 in one day.

Pathology: Dr. Blakey has a very large patient pool of benign pathology. We regularly have multiple KCOT procedures in a week as well as reconstructions for ameloblastoma.

TMJ: Dr. Matthews operates on all of our TMJ cases. He joined our program fairly recently but has a lot of cases lined up since we had not had a TMJ faculty for some time previously. We have a good amount of TMJ replacements as well as arthrocentesis and arthroplasties. He also utilizes arthroscopy.

Trauma: Chapel Hill is not a dangerous area and we have a reputation for not being very trauma heavy because of this. At Asheville you take full face call q2 days. We take q3 month mandible call between plastics and ENT at UNC. Dr. Blakey has a contract with the corrections department so that all facial trauma from there is only seen by our service, which provides additional trauma cases without the extra burden on call.

Cosmetics: Dr. Fisher, who is fellowship trained, has a cosmetic clinic at UNC. As stated earlier, she will also perform procedures at the VA where you can be a part of the operation as a lower level resident. Procedures range from blepharoplasties and face-lifts, to microneedling and botox.

Cleft/Craniofacial: We do both primary and secondary repairs. We also see a good amount of syndromic patients (hemifacial microsomia, Treacher Collins, etc) that require multiple procedures. Dr. Turvey, who is an expert in the field, is currently the attending that staffs these. We are also planning on adding another faculty in this area in the near future.

Implants: We have designated implant days so that you can work with Dr. Reside who is the faculty who has done the most. We often use CBCT for treatment planning. You will place the majority of you implants as a PGY1 at the VA and increasing number at UNC as you progress through the program.

Cancer: We do not do any head and neck cancer at UNC but multiple residents who have an interest have spent their electives with ablation/microvascular fellowships.

Call

We take home call and there is a GPR that takes tooth/dentoalveolar fracture calls at UNC. When you are at the VA you take call there in addition to at UNC, but there tends to be very little call coming from the VA. First call is Q2-Q4 as a lower level (PGY1/3) depending on how many are on anesthesia. As an upper level (PGY5/6) call is Q4-Q5. Weekend call is grouped together so you are either on call Friday-Sunday or off the entire weekend. You do not take any call while you are on anesthesia or in medical school.

Didactics

1 hour every Wednesday morning that alternates between a resident run lecture on selected topics and mock boards held by faculty. Two hours every Friday by faculty both within our program and from outside departments. Examples include pathology by Dr. Blakey, Ophthalmology/Radiology by attendings from within UNC. There is also a guest speaker that comes in for a full day once a year. Last year’s was Dr. Posnick. Grand rounds Friday after lecture to discuss cases for upcoming week along with resident run teaching during this time

Tuition/Salary

The current situation is you will pay a prorated instate tuition for medical school for the 18 months you are a student. So one year is $24,000x1.5 for total of ~$36,000. You will be paid during all of your months on service including the 6 months during your PGY3 year that is split with medical school.

Research

UNC has many research opportunities with the majority of faculty currently having projects with residents. Not all residents choose to do research throughout the entire program and there is no formal requirement. That being said, the majority of residents present at AAOMS and have multiple publications. The program will pay for your transportation and hotel for any conferences that your research is accepted to present at.

Chapel Hill

Residents live within the triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill). It is by no means a big city but there are plenty of things do/places to eat between the three areas. The beach is two hours east and the mountains are two hours west. Chapel Hill itself is a college town with bars and restaurants surrounding the campus. To give an idea of cost of living, a one-bedroom apartment in Chapel Hill costs $800/month. Living is significantly cheaper in Durham and is only 10-15 min drive from the hospital.

Residents

The residents get along well and meet up outside of work as a large group at least once a month for dinner/other outings. Due to us all having different schedules most will hangout outside of work in smaller groups. There are very few residents from the same dental school and are from all over the country. Approximately a third are married.

Externship

You will spend most of your time observing in the OR but can help extract teeth in the urgent care clinic if you would like. You will also be allowed to round on the inpatients and take call with the residents, but this is entirely up to you. You will have to arrange for your own housing and transportation. More information can be found on our website at https://www.dentistry.unc.edu/about/departments-units/oms/education/externship/

Last edited:
Can someone do a thorough breakdown like the one above for NYU, UCLA, Baylor, and Montefiore?

MD Track

Hospitals:

CALL

DIDACTICS/CONFERENCE

HOUSTON

Does your program accept Canadian citizens with US citizenship/Green card?

Did not see a externship review of LSU-Shreveport on here so here is my recent experience.
Disclaimer: This is strictly my opinion and as a lowly extern I would not attempt to float on it.

Overview: Solid program that operates a lot, full-scope OMFS, lots of trauma and some recent improvements. OMFS is very respected at the health center and they can pretty operate on whatever they want.

Attendings: Six full time
I will just post the attendings I meet
G. E. Ghali, DDS, MD, FACS- "King of LSU-S" Chair of the Dept., Med school Dean and Chancellor
Residents seem to really get along with him, very busy with all of his duties, In the words of the fellow "He puts a lot of faith in the training his residents receive"
Celso F. Pameieri, JR., DDS
He was the attending when I was in the OR on some mand fractures. Resident cut the entire case, let me assist almost the entire time as he observed.
Melvyn S. Yeah, DMD, MD
Sounds like he operates on whatever he wants to, seems like he does most of the microvascular repairs. He was the attending on a o-triple-p robotics case and just observed the entire time.

OR: Chief said that they had 1250 OR cases last year and I would believe it, we were in the OR M-F with some days multiple separate rooms. Lots of cancer (ablation and recon), I was only there for one week and they preformed two free fibs and a radial free flap, the next Monday they had three free flaps planned. I'm not sure I heard him correctly, but I'm pretty certain that the fellow said he was primary or first assist on 250 Head and neck cases (lots of sqaums). They do some organathics but I could not give you a number. Lots of trauma, last night I was there we had a number of big lacs and fractures, many sedated in the ER.

New changes: From now on new residents will start out directly in med school, not sure how this will change their policy on passing step the summer before you start. Med school requires a 70 on cbse (seemed somewhat flexible). They have a new attending and rotation, Dr. Shriley is a private practice doc who heads up the VA rotation. Quite a bit of T&T, resident said around 150 to 200 implants per resident.

Call: Call is split with ENT (this could be changing, ENT is pretty weak). Interns were on Q2-3s. Call is in house and the call room is nice and quiet (TV and computers to work on).

Clinic: They do quite a bit of "point and pull" on a few days of the week, the clinic was busy. They do their sedations there and the clinic is almost entirely run by the residents.

Residents: Most were very easy to get along with, all worked hard. All said that they liked the program and felt very confident in their training.

Positives: LOTS OF OR TIME, residents cut most of the cases, big cancer ablations and recons, lots of trauma. Very solid attendings that are not going anywhere soon. Shreveport is cheap!
Negatives: Lots of cancer and residents do most of the follow up (very time consuming and takes a special person), Shreveport is bummer and the area around the center is a bit sketch, as of now cosmetics seems to be mainly on recons (this is a county hospital that picks up what no one else would), but sounds like they are doing some at the VA though.

All in all this is a great program in my opinion (disclaimer above) and I feel very fortunate to have had the opportunity to extern there.

Last edited:

*LAC+USC Program Overview*

Attendings-
Chair- Mark Urata
http://www.surgery.usc.edu/plasticsurgery/facultyandstaff-mark-urata.html
Director- Nam Cho

Part time attendings-
Cynthia Au Yeung
Thomas Auyong
Bach Le
James McAndrews
Various Part Time Faculty at dental school

New residents per year-
2 six year
1 four year
1 non-categorical intern

Current 4 Year Track-
Year 1-
July- OMFS
August-December-Anesthesia
Jan-June- OMFS

Year 2-
July-December- General Surgery
January-June- OMFS

Year 3-
CHLA- 3 Months
Trauma Surgeon- 4 months
Dental School- 4 months
OMFS Co-chief- 1 month

Year 4-
OMFS Chief- 12 months

Current 6 Year Track-
Year 1-
July- OMFS
August-December- Anesthesia
January-June- First Year med school

Year 2-
Second Year Med School

Year 3-
Third Year Med School

Year 4-
OMFS- 5 months
General Surgery- 7 months

Year 5-
CHLA- 3 Months
Trauma Surgeon at LAC- 4 months
Dental School- 4 months
OMFS Co-chief- 1 month

Year 6-
OMFS Chief- 12 months

Overall-
OMFS takes all isolated Mandibles 7 days/week

Facial Trauma 3 days/week- OMFS takes all H&N trauma with exception of isolated nasal bone fractures, temporal bone fractures.
Good Anesthesia rotation experience
Dental school rotation- tons of wisdom teeth, sedation, ortho cases, implant cases
CHLA rotation- with Dr. Urata/plastics. Craniofacial and orthognathic cases
LAC outpatient clinic- Lots of thirds cases, sedation cases
USC Med School Cost- around $150 k

Other benefits-
County Employee Benefits (free health insurance, life insurance, dental insurance, pension)

Meals are covered- LA county 3 meals/day, Keck Hospital 3 meals/day, Norris Hospital 1 meal/day.

Where Residents Live-
Alhambra, El Monte, Pasadena, Monterey Park, downtown LA, some have lived on the west side.

Call Schedule-
Varied, from q3-q6 depending on how many residents on service. *Technically* in-house call required.

Externship-
Completing all of the paperwork and obtaining clearance to be at the county hospital takes a long time, so plan accordingly.

Virginia is a 4 yr program w/ MD option at the end. They have 5 full time attendings. Residents do most of the operating with 3 of them. The other 2 are mostly undergrad teachers although you will occassionally do stuff with them and they cover clinic. When they do operate, attendings hold sticks. I externed here and was impressed at how much of each operation was done by residents. I would say 90-95% of each case was done by the residents i.e. orthognathic cases were each chief does half and the attending stands at the head and holds sticks. Residents have an outpatient clinic (OPC) which is their clinic. They do lots of point and pull in this clinic. They also do lots of GA's for thirds or arch bars in this clinic. They do a lot of LMA's. I think they have 3 OR days and then add-ons for trauma and such. Trauma call is approximately every third week, sometimes every other due to plastics not being able to take hand call and face call at the same time. Plenty of trauma to do. Very broad exposure to OMFS. They do plenty of orthognathics, TMJ, trauma, sleep apnea (repose genioglossis advancement and hyoid suspension or MM advancement), alveolar clefts, recon, etc. Every yr they go on a mission trip to the same third world country but I cant remember which one...Mexico maybe? where they do lots of primary lips and palates, this past year they did a bunch of skin grafting for a burn victim. In the dental school clinic, the opprotunity to do cosmetics is there but is chief dependant. Strauss told me he has had chiefs graduate with 40 cosmetic cases in the past and chiefs graduate with none. Very friendly residents. Everything is in one hospital. No malignant pathology. It seemed like the implant exposure there wasn't high as other places I visited. Call is in-house. Call room was one of the nicer ones I saw on the interview trail. Overall, I think this is one of the best 4 yr programs around. Very well rounded, plenty of attendings, plenty of operating to do with a healthy balance of procedures.

I forgot to add that for the 4 yr w/ MD option at the end, you have until December of your chief yr to decide if you want to do the MD. I don't think you can do it after that. I think a small # (13?) of residents in the past have gone on to do the MD. You can also do your PGY-1 in anesthesia instead of general surgery if you want.

So what is the main gain from getting MD afterward? in term of future (not only money)

I'm not a resident at that program, but I can at least make a comment on why it probably exists. I imagine not many people take advantage of the MD option after your done with residency, but its probably a nice opportunity for the resident who starts in the four year track with the goal of going into private practice but then wishes to continue on with fellowship training and an academic career. I'm a resident at LSU-New Orleans and my chairman did exactly that. He was a resident in New Orleans when an MD option was initially offered at LSU but he was already in a four year track. After he finished he then retroactively completed his medical degree, followed by a full year of general surgery, then a cosmetic fellowship, and then was one of the first people in our profession to become FACS. Definitely a brutal way of going about it, I'm not sure I would have the stamina to go back to medical school after I was done with residency, but getting that medical degree certainly opened some doors to him.

Thanks much for the comprehensive reply! I really likes what he did and I wish you the best in your career!

hello everyone
i had a question, If i get an omfs degree from a university outside US and Canada , will they accept it or I have to do the residency and 2 years international students course?

Any recent overviews for UConn and BI?

Thanks.

Mount Sinai Beth Israel/Jacobi Medical Center
6 year programs
2 residents/year
4 red shirts

The website doesn't provide too much in terms of details regarding an overview of the 6 years but this is what I gathered from my time externing there:
Years 1 and 2: medical school and clerkships
Year 3: intern year
Year 4: general surgery
Year 5: OMFS
Year 6: OMFS

Medical school/tuition: MSBI is associated with Albert Einstein College of Medicine in the Bronx. Residents are responsible for paying for two years of tuition. I have heard that Einstein has a strong impact on whether or not residents get accepted to the program, more so than other programs. College letters of recommendation are required for the OMFS residency application to be complete.

Jacobi and BI bring different experiences to the program and make for a very well rounded residency. Jacobi is a county hospital with a dental clinic. The dental clinic has a high volume of extractions, sedations, wisdom teeth and implants. The residents are very autonomous in running the clinic and can offer treatments that they are interested in doing ie: zygomatic implants and cosmetics. The attendings are very supportive of the residents making their experiences what they want. The residents place a lot of implants in the clinic but unlike other programs they are doing much more than single implant cases. They are doing "all on four" cases very regularly. They have the patient population and education to do more advanced implant cases. Trauma call is q3 and shared with ENT and plastics ( I believe, dont quote me). GP residents take first call. OR cases were mostly trauma and orthognathics while I was there. The resident said they did about 30 ortho surg cases during the summer alone. BI is a private hospital and is a bit more attending run than Jacobi however the residents are still cutting every case. There is a clinic where the attendings see their private patients. The scope of patients I saw at BI were cancer, TMJ and salivary gland patients.

Attendings I met:
Dr. Buchbinder- program director. Dr. B started the program and is deeply invested in the program and its residents' success. He is a great person and fantastic head and neck surgeon.
Dr. Turner- salivary gland guru, overall great guy who is "boots on the ground" and entrenched in the day to day at Jacobi and BI
Dr. Lieberman- splits his time between Jacobi and private practice. Brings a lot of ortho surg cases to the OR and lets the residents cut the >95% of case. He is a great teacher and has a lot of experience with orthognathics, wisdom teeth, sedation and implants.
Dr. Sidoti- plastic surgeon on OMFS service. Integral in cosmetic clinic

The residents seemed like a really cohesive, friendly group. It seems like they strive to take residents who you would want to work with all day in the OR and still go grab a drink with after hours. Most residents lived in The Bronx and the upper east side in Manhattan (30ish minute commute)

Hope this helps!

Not much info on Canadian OMFS programs on this board

McGill

Positions:
- 1 North American position/year; must be eligible for a Quebec license, so applicants must pass the NDEB (6 year MD,CM program)
- 1 Saudi position every other year (4 year program)
- 1-2 internship positions each year (1 North American +/- 1 Saudi)
- 1 MORS fellow
Generally GPR or internship experience is preferred, however we have one resident without either atm
70 on the NBME is required

The MUHC is an English speaking institution, however French is a plus as some patients don't speak English (thus, don't need to wait for a translator)
There are no shortage of cases, as the MUCH services the greater Montreal area as well as Northern Quebec

We cover 3 hospitals:
- Montreal General Hospital (main base / level 1 trauma centre)
- Royal Victoria Hospital
- Montreal Children's hospital

6 year overview:
- First 6 months OMFS
- Year 0.5 - 3 Medical school (6 months of OMFS during this time)
- Year 4 General Surgery
- Year 5 and 6 OMFS

Scope:
- Program is quite balanced and very busy
Clinic
- Busy dentoalveolar clinic with a high volume of extractions, implants (majority of which are multi-implant cases), sedations, 8's, biopsies, malignant/benign path etc
- Juniors start off with extractions + sedations, straight forward implant placements, biopsies, etc
- Seniors supervise Juniors and do cases they're interested in as well as more complex implant cases, arthrocentesis, etc
Trauma
- Alternates every week with plastics
- OMFS responsible for everything frontal bone and below
- Good variety of cases, however light on GSWs (it's Canada...)
Orthognathics
- 2-8 cases per week; TONS of orthognathic cases
- Seniors will have cut well over 100 by the time they graduate
Pathology
- LOTS of benign and malignant pathology
- 1 flap case per week for malignancies; we do a ton - fibulas, radial forearms, scaps, ALTS, pecs, etc; if you like microvascular you'll get tons of exposure here
- We always operate in a 2 team approach; flaps and resections are all done by OMFS
- Tons of neck dissections; seniors do a lot of resections and neck dissections
Cleft/craniofacial
- We have 2 attending with cleft craniofacial training, however at this time the program is only involved with 2ndary repairs
TMJ
- Although not as common there are a few complete TMJ replacements each year
Cosmetics
- One of the weaker aspects of this program, as there is very little cosmetics exposure
- A few septos/rhinos and zygomatic implants each year
- Lots of hip grafts / alveolar recons
Didactics
- Teaching rounds once per week
- Resident lectures once per week after hours
- Majority of learning occurs through self-directed reading at home, similar to most other OMFS programs

Staff - 7 attendings:
- Dr. Makhoul: Director of the division. Very personable attending who is microvascular trained out of Michigan
- Dr. El-Hakim: Former program director. Our other microvascular attending trained out of Maryland
- Dr. Chiasson: Current program director with cleft-craniofacial training
- Dr. Chehade: one of the best in the city in dentoalveolar and orthognathics
- Dr. Iera: Undergraduate director with cleft-craniofacial trading
- Dr. Emory: bread and butter
- Dr. Pompura: bread and butter + lots of TMJ

This program practices full scope OMFS. Needless to say, it is quite busy and can go toe to toe with the best programs.
Hopefully this helps, as information on Canadian programs is scarce.

Last edited:
Can anyone comment on UW now that they have their 6 year track? Also UConn would be appreciated! Thanks much!

Does anyone have information about Drexel OMFS? I can't seem to find any commentary anywhere.

Not much info on Canadian OMFS programs on this board

McGill

Positions:
- 1 North American position/year; must be eligible for a Quebec license, so applicants must pass the NDEB (6 year MD,CM program)
- 1 Saudi position every other year (4 year program)
- 1-2 internship positions each year (1 North American +/- 1 Saudi)
- 1 MORS fellow
Generally GPR or internship experience is preferred, however we have one resident without either atm
70 on the NBME is required

The MUHC is an English speaking institution, however French is a plus as some patients don't speak English (thus, don't need to wait for a translator)
There are no shortage of cases, as the MUCH services the greater Montreal area as well as Northern Quebec

We cover 3 hospitals:
- Montreal General Hospital (main base / level 1 trauma centre)
- Royal Victoria Hospital
- Montreal Children's hospital

6 year overview:
- First 6 months OMFS
- Year 0.5 - 3 Medical school (6 months of OMFS during this time)
- Year 4 General Surgery
- Year 5 and 6 OMFS

Scope:
- Program is quite balanced and very busy
Clinic
- Busy dentoalveolar clinic with a high volume of extractions, implants (majority of which are multi-implant cases), sedations, 8's, biopsies, malignant/benign path etc
- Juniors start off with extractions + sedations, straight forward implant placements, biopsies, etc
- Seniors supervise Juniors and do cases they're interested in as well as more complex implant cases, arthrocentesis, etc
Trauma
- Alternates every week with plastics
- OMFS responsible for everything frontal bone and below
- Good variety of cases, however light on GSWs (it's Canada...)
Orthognathics
- 2-8 cases per week; TONS of orthognathic cases
- Seniors will have cut well over 100 by the time they graduate
Pathology
- LOTS of benign and malignant pathology
- 1 flap case per week for malignancies; we do a ton - fibulas, radial forearms, scaps, ALTS, pecs, etc; if you like microvascular you'll get tons of exposure here
- We always operate in a 2 team approach; flaps and resections are all done by OMFS
- Tons of neck dissections; seniors do a lot of resections and neck dissections
Cleft/craniofacial
- We have 2 attending with cleft craniofacial training, however at this time the program is only involved with 2ndary repairs
TMJ
- Although not as common there are a few complete TMJ replacements each year
Cosmetics
- One of the weaker aspects of this program, as there is very little cosmetics exposure
- A few septos/rhinos and zygomatic implants each year
- Lots of hip grafts / alveolar recons
Didactics
- Teaching rounds once per week
- Resident lectures once per week after hours
- Majority of learning occurs through self-directed reading at home, similar to most other OMFS programs

Staff - 7 attendings:
- Dr. Makhoul: Director of the division. Very personable attending who is microvascular trained out of Michigan
- Dr. El-Hakim: Former program director. Our other microvascular attending trained out of Maryland
- Dr. Chiasson: Current program director with cleft-craniofacial training
- Dr. Chehade: one of the best in the city in dentoalveolar and orthognathics
- Dr. Iera: Undergraduate director with cleft-craniofacial trading
- Dr. Emory: bread and butter
- Dr. Pompura: bread and butter + lots of TMJ

This program practices full scope OMFS. Needless to say, it is quite busy and can go toe to toe with the best programs.
Hopefully this helps, as information on Canadian programs is scarce.

Spent a week there last year externing/observing the program. From the limited exposure and knowledge of my experience, I can attest what Canadaomfs said were completely reflected in my time there.
The program is small comparing to big programs like UT Houston, but for the size of the program, the case load was more than enough and the variety is very well-rounded.
The residents and intern are super nice (I didn't get to meet everyone as some upper years were on other services/electives), they would always answer your questions, and they tried to get you involved.

In the OR, the attendings (only observed Dr. El-Hakim and Dr.Markhoul) were very good at explaining what they are doing. They pimped you just right, asked you very pertinent questions regarding the case. And both of them were super friendly and in fact fun to hang out and observe. I really enjoyed the dynamics that's happening in the OR. I think it definitely fosters learning and inspires the trainees to know more.
The upper years who were either assisting or cutting were also very good at finding windows to direct your attention to specific things and/or explaining to you why certain things were done in certain way.

McGill is a very prestigious school with a long history dated more than 100 years, and its affiliated hospital Montreal General is rather old to say the least, so while some may not find the facilities to be impressive enough, I was not bothered by that aspect of things at all as the people, the learning experience and the teaching one would receive there is pretty top-notched. In my opinion, probably the best OMFS program in Canada, but then that's just me.

Other than that, Montreal is such a nice place with great restaurants (google poutine!!!), rich culture, beautiful sceneries and awesome architecture. What seems like high end condo in Vancouver or Toronto are just your normal condo in Montreal that one sees everyday. The summer in Montreal is all festivals with huge music event like Osheaga and streets blocked off for outdoor beer festivals and whatnots, and while winter in Montreal is quieter, Mont Tremblanc which boasts world class skiing/snowboarding hill is only a short drive away!!

Needless to say, you can tell I am pretty hyped about my experience there, and it certainly is my top choice!!

Mayo Clinic OMFS, Rochester, Minnesota

Structure/Schedule:

6 year dual degree program with 2 residents per year.

PGY1-10 months OMFS, 2 months medical school.

PGY2-2nd year of Mayo Medical School, 4 weeks ENT, during the 8 weeks of school break residents are on OMFS service and also take vacation during this time. Dedicated 1 month USMLE Step 1 study time with no clinical responsibilities.

PGY3-3rd year of Mayo Medical School, graduate in May, during the 9 weeks of school break residents are on OMFS service and also take vacation during this time. Dedicated 2 week USMLE Step 2 study time with no clinical responsibilities.

PGY4-5 months of anesthesia, 6 months of general surgery, 1 month OMFS. General surgery is subdivided into 6 weeks surgical ICU, 6 weeks plastic surgery, and 3 months endocrine surgery. We get lots of time in the neck (thyroids, parathyroids) during general surgery, and pretty much no butts and guts.

PGY5-6 weeks vascular surgery, 6 weeks pediatric surgery, 6 week OMFS trauma rotation in Portland, 1 week cleft mission trip to Central America, rest of the year on OMFS.

PGY6-12 months OMFS.

Facilities:

All facilities are in Rochester, Minnesota at the Mayo Clinic. Clinic is in the Mayo building, outpatient procedure clinic (very similar to private practice) is in the Gonda building, and operating rooms are at Saint Mary’s Hospital. We also cover consults at Methodist hospital. All buildings are connected with underground subways and a bus system.

Scope:

We are a full scope program with excellent numbers for dentoalveolar, implants, orthognathic, TMJ, infections, pathology, reconstruction, and trauma. Cosmetics is limited. We are the primary service for our free flaps and commonly perform fibula and radial forearm free flaps. While we do a lot of oncology and reconstruction, there is very little scut work and the overall efficiency of the Mayo system and allied health staff puts busy work to a minimum. Our floor nurses are excellent and perform our flap checks. No in-house flap call.

OMFS is part of craniofacial clinic and we have good numbers of alveolar cleft grafting and orthognathic surgery on craniofacial patients.

We do a fair amount of TMJ procedures such as arthrocenteses, arthroscopies, and total joint replacements.

All of our orthognathic cases are planned virtually with no labwork. We perform a lot of traditional orthognathic cases as well as jaw cases on craniofacial patients and maxillomandibular advancement for OSA.

We are not heavy on trauma but as a level 1 trauma center we get trauma from the community as well as Wisconsin, Iowa, and the Dakotas. Most trauma comes from MVCs, assaults, farm accidents, and ATV/snowmobile accidents. We typically have a few GSW per year. Fifth year residents go to Portland for a 6 week trauma rotation.

We typically run multiple ORs at a time which is a bonus for lower level residents who break away from big cases to run the OR for smaller cases. We have an excellent relationship with our prosthodontic, orthodontic, and periodontic departments, as well as with ENT and plastics.

We have OR, clinic, and outpatient procedure time every day of the week, M-F. Residents are typically assigned to a surgeon and will follow staff from clinic to outpatient procedures to the OR throughout the quarter.

We have outpatient procedure clinic almost every day M-F where we perform procedures such as third molars, implants, expose and bonds, biopsies, dentoalveolar procedures, etc. Upper level residents run sedations. One Wednesday a month is booked out for pediatric general anesthesia cases where upper levels run sedations with a pediatric anesthesiologist. Our outpatient procedure clinic is setup very similar to a private practice model and residents get excellent procedural and sedation numbers.

Residents of all levels have great autonomy and get excellent hands-on surgical experience. Staff is great about letting us do whatever we are comfortable with.

Call:

All call is home call. There is a sleeping room at the hospital also. Interns take the vast majority of first call throughout the year with an upper level resident on second call. Upper levels take second call split equally between all upper levels on service. We are always on call for our inpatients, post op calls, hospital consults, and ED tooth call (infections and dentoalveolar trauma). There is no GPR and we are the only service with dental training that takes call, so all tooth calls come to us. The ED is very good about only calling us if there is CT confirmed pus to be drained. They don’t call us for odontogenic pain/cellulitis very often. No extractions in the ED. Interns typically take tooth call 1 week on/1 week off.

Trauma is 3 weeks out of every 9, split equally with ENT and plastics. Whatever comes in during those 3 weeks is ours. Interns typically take trauma call every other day.

Didactics:

Usually there are 3-4 conferences per week, in the mornings between rounding and the OR. Both staff and residents present at conferences covering a wide range of topics.

Staff:

Dr. Kevin Arce DMD MD-oncology fellowship trained, residency program director

Dr. Jonathan Fillmore DMD MD-assistant program director

Dr. James Van Ess DDS MD

Dr. Christopher Viozzi DDS MD-division chair

All are full-time with no private or faculty practice. We have an NP and a PA who during the day see ED and hospital consults, manage inpatients, take patient phone calls, and see post ops.

Staff are very nice and approachable. Residents all get along with each other. We are the opposite of a malignant program.

Rochester:

Rochester is located in Southeastern Minnesota roughly 1.5 hours south of Minneapolis/St Paul. Rochester’s population is 110,000 and is expected to grow by another 80,000 in upcoming years as part of a $5.6 billion investment into Mayo Clinic and Rochester. Rochester is centered around Mayo Clinic. Cost of living is low and all residents own their own homes. Traffic is nonexistent.

Perks:

Cash loaded onto card for food, most residents typically have money left over at the end of the year.

Two attendance trips paid by Mayo during 6 years of residency.

If selected to present at a meeting, Mayo foots the bill.

Garage parking at all Mayo facilities.

Medical School:

Excellent education, pass/fail, step 1 taken during 2nd year with dedicated study time. Residents receive stipend during medical school and receive scholarships from the medical school and the OMFS department. Tuition ends up being slightly more than the sum of scholarships and salary, so residents typically take out loans (~10k/year) during medical school.

Recent Graduates:

Most graduates enter private practice however other recent graduates have signed on as staff at Mayo and other programs, and matched into microvascular and craniofacial fellowships.

Externships:

As an extern you will assist in the OR and outpatient procedure clinic while shadowing the interns. Externs typically visit for 1 week at a time however longer externships are welcomed.

Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Residency, M.D.-O.M.S. (Minnesota) - Mayo Clinic School of Graduate Medical Education - Mayo Clinic

Reactions: 7 users
I liked the structure from the Mayo overview so I used it as a template for my overview of Louisville, hope it helps

University of Louisville OMFS, Louisville KY

Structure/Schedule:

6 year dual degree program with 2 residents per year.

PGY1- 9 months OMFS, 2 months anesthesia, 1 month USMLE study month.

PGY2- 3rd year of Medical School, 2 weeks of OMFS during Christmas Break

PGY3- 4th year of Medical School, 4 week of OMFS during Christmas Break, 4 months of anesthesia

PGY4- 2 months of general surgery, 2 months ENT, 1 month ED, 1 month Neuro Surg, 5 months OMFS.

PGY5- 12 months OMFS

PGY6- 12 months OMFS.

Facilities:

All facilities are in Louisville, Kentucky within walking distance of our outpatient clinic. We work out of 3 different hospitals (University of Louisville Hospital, Norton Children's Hospital, and Jewish Hospital). Our outpatient clinic is attached to UofL hospital in the ambulatory care building.

Scope:

We are a full scope program with excellent numbers for dentoalveolar, implants, orthognathic, TMJ, infections, non-malignant pathology, reconstruction, and trauma. Cosmetics is limited.

OMFS is part of craniofacial clinic and we have good numbers of alveolar cleft grafting, palatoplasty, mandibular distraction cases, and orthognathic surgery on craniofacial patients.

We do a fair amount of TMJ procedures such as arthrocenteses, arthroscopies, and total joint replacements.

We do tons of trauma, with a high prevalence of the knife and gun club residing in Louisville

We have an excellent relationship with our prosthodontic, orthodontic, and periodontic departments, as well as with ENT and plastics.

We have clinic MWF and have OR block time Tuesday and Thursdays while doing occasional cases during the week and weekend as needed

Our outpatient procedure clinic is MWF where we perform procedures such as third molars, implants, expose and bonds, biopsies, dentoalveolar procedures, etc. Upper level residents run sedations. Our outpatient procedure clinic is setup very similar to a private practice model and residents get excellent procedural and sedation numbers.

Residents of all levels have great autonomy and get excellent hands-on surgical experience. Staff is great about letting us do whatever we are comfortable with.

Call:

For the first two months of intern year we do Q2 in house buddy call with an upper level resident to get the new interns up to speed on how to navigate the hospital. After those 2 months, we average about 10-12 nights of call a month with 4-5 of those being facial trauma call for the interns. Facial trauma call is in house. There is a call room at University hospital directly below the ED. Interns split call each month with a 4th year and a 5th year. 4th year you take around 5 nights a month with a 1-2 facial trauma nights, 5th years take 1-2 nights of non facial trauma call a month. Back up call is provided by the chiefs who typically rotate every two weeks who is trauma chief. We are always on call for our inpatients, post op calls, hospital consults, and ED tooth call (infections and dentoalveolar trauma). We do have a GPR whom see all the dental trauma/infections that don't require going to the OR, so most non facial trauma nights are pretty quiet.

Didactics:

Every Monday afternoon from 12-2 we have conferences with rotating topics. We meet once a month with Ortho, once with Prosth, we have one anesthesia lecture, and the 4th week is free to discuss whatever anyone is interested in. Wednesday mornings from 7:30 to 8:30 are our grand rounds.

Full time Attendings:

Dr. Brian Alpert DDS, Program Chairman

Dr. George Kusner DMD MD, Program director, TMJ Fellowship trained

Dr. Lewis Jones DMD MD, Craniofacial Fellowship trained

Dr. Robert Flint DMD, MD, 25 years of Private Practice Experience

All are full-time with faculty practice 1 day a week.

Staff are very nice and approachable. Residents all get along with each other.

Perks:

Cleft Trip to either Philippines or Guatemala typically attended as a 6th year

1 week Ski Trip during intern year to Big Sky Montana, with lodging and airfare paid for by the program. Typically the interns, chiefs and the med school guys go every year.

Between Intern year and the Med School years we go to a fully funded AO basics course, paid for by the program

5th and 6th year area able to attend any course they would like fully funded by the program. As Dr Alpert would say "we are fat this year" if you want to attend a course you can and it will be paid for

Garage parking at all UofL facilities

Medical School:

Solid education, pass/fail, step 1 taken during intern year with dedicated study time. Residents receive stipend during medical school and receive scholarships from the medical school and the OMFS department. Tuition ends up being slightly more than the sum of scholarships and salary, so residents typically take out loans (~10k/year) during medical school.

Recent Graduates:

Most graduates enter private practice however other recent graduates have matched into craniofacial fellowships.

Externships:

As an extern you will assist in the OR and outpatient procedure clinic while shadowing the interns. Externs typically visit for 1 week at a time however longer externships are welcomed.

Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Residency — School of Dentistry