This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonamed123

Reaction score
I am currently a dental student trying to build my application with externships. There are no formal externship programs in my country, but I am getting in touch with my university OMFS professor and asking him if I can shadow him. Will this count as an externship? I am trying to do this during term time for a couple weeks. Will universities accept this, and if not what more can I ask from him (except for shadowing) for it to count as an externship so that I can add this to my CV? Once the pandemic is over and I can visit US/Canada, I will apply for formal programs but for now this is my only option. Any help appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a dental student trying to build my application with externships. There are no formal externship programs in my country, but I am getting in touch with my university OMFS professor and asking him if I can shadow him. Will this count as an externship? I am trying to do this during term time for a couple weeks. Will universities accept this, and if not what more can I ask from him (except for shadowing) for it to count as an externship so that I can add this to my CV? Once the pandemic is over and I can visit US/Canada, I will apply for formal programs but for now this is my only option. Any help appreciated!
Are you in dental school abroad?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, BDS UK
You realize matching as an international dentist in the US is basically zero, right? Even with externships and an amazing CBSE, it’s extremely unlikely. You should plan to complete dental school in the US to get a DMD/DDS then apply to residency.

Reactions: 1 users
yes, yes and yes. Thanks for letting me know about my bleak prospects. However, I would really like to give it a shot and keep my window open since I can only do externships during dental school. I don't want to wake up 4 years from now and realise that inspite of doing a DDS and spending loads of money I am falling short just because I don't have any externships under my belt

yes, yes and yes. Thanks for letting me know about my bleak prospects. However, I would really like to give it a shot and keep my window open since I can only do externships during dental school. I don't want to wake up 4 years from now and realise that inspite of doing a DDS and spending loads of money I am falling short just because I don't have any externships under my belt
I only point this out to emphasize that externships aren’t really going to transform your application (and I mention it to save you the several thousand dollars in applications fees). What’s your CBSE? What’s your immigration status? Those are going to be the major factors when a program considers you. Externships are more for the applicant. Programs will ask you what you learned, what you liked, what you didn’t like. Doing externships shows you know what residency is like day in and day out. It’s not a check mark on an application. They couldn’t really care less if it was “official” or not.

Reactions: 1 user
I only point this out to emphasize that externships aren’t really going to transform your application (and I mention it to save you the several thousand dollars in applications fees). What’s your CBSE? What’s your immigration status? Those are going to be the major factors when a program considers you. Externships are more for the applicant. Programs will ask you what you learned, what you liked, what you didn’t like. Doing externships shows you know what residency is like day in and day out. It’s not a check mark on an application. They couldn’t really care less if it was “official” or not.
Ivy.ch is absolutely correct. Most US schools require US Citizenship or Permanent Residency AND all grad and undergrad from a US accredited school. You have at least two major strikes from what you are saying. The externship (not a practical reality for same reasons) does not matter. You would have to complete a 2-yr+ foreign trained DMD/DDS course at the very minimum, and you still would not qualify for most programs.

University of Tennessee-Knoxville accepts externs